Author Topic: 6mmTCU loads  (Read 947 times)

Offline KYODE

• Trade Count: (0)
6mmTCU loads
« on: February 24, 2003, 01:45:14 AM »
what loads you havin luck with in your gun? i fireformed with a few different 80gr bullets in my contender. they all shot excellent with H335. i'm gonna try some 70gr bullets with IMR4198 also. 8)

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
6mmTCU loads
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 05:53:10 AM »
I use Nosler 70 gr Balistic tips. About 25.2 grs of IMR4198. I say about 25.2 grs. because the velocity varies a little with each of lot powder. I adjust the charge a few tenths to get a velocity of 2850 fps. (14" barrel) I use only Remington cases. Remington 7 1/2 primers give the best accuracy. With a rifle scope on this barrel, this load will shoot under 1/2" at 100 yds., and I'm not the best at bench rest shooting. I have used this load to shoot ground hogs at over 600 yds. This load is safe in my barrel, it may not be safe in your barrel.

Offline KYODE

6mmTCU loads
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 06:28:01 AM »
:eek: how do you shoot a riflescope on the 6tcu. i've tried it with the .223. now i'm gonna have to load 40gr bullets and blue dot powder in it to reduce recoil enuff to keep from gettin whacked in the nose. whats your technique with the 6tcu? :?

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
6mmTCU loads
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 01:21:06 PM »
Kyode, for use in the field, I made a plywood cradle for the gun, that mounts on a sturdy camera tripod. The cradle has a horizontal surface to rest the butt of the grip and a vertical piece, with a v cut in it, to rest the pachmayr forend. The cradle swivels and tilts. I sit on the ground, my elbows on my knees to steady me even more. I look through the scope and find the target (ground hogs are my favorite target), then I move my head back far enough so the scope will not hit me. I will only see through only about a 1/3 of the field of view of the scope, the rest of the view will be black. It takes a little practice but it's not too difficult to master. I've been using this technique for over 20 years, the local ground hogs call me the 'Angel of Death'. I also have a soft rubber ring on the eyepiece of the scope, just in case I get a little too close. Brownells and Graf & Son sell the ring, called 'Scope Eye'. If you send me a Privite Message with your email address I'll snap a few pictures of the cradle and my technique with my digital camera, and send you an attachment.  8)