Author Topic: Gas prices  (Read 1603 times)

Offline nealglen37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Gas prices
« on: August 12, 2005, 04:20:48 PM »
Will gas prices affect where you will hunt..............and how often you go hunting?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Gas prices
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 05:23:46 PM »
No way, I hunt in both Delaware and Maryland. Hunting is my passion, I won't give it up because of the price of gas.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jhm

Gas prices
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:18:56 AM »
Not me I will be hunting here on the farm if I cant get back to where the deer are I could just sit on the deck during the season and I am sure one will present itself, havent had to for the past 25 years so I dont figure I will this year. :D    JIM

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Gas prices
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 06:59:52 AM »
not for me,
I hunt only about 10 miles from my house
and my friend will be paying for gas in his ATV

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Gas prices
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 09:15:07 AM »
It hurts pretty bad every time I have to stop at gas station. I paid $45.00 this morning to fill my truck at $2.59 per gallon (OUCH). Last weekend I drove 3 hours to ride my 4 wheeler. It cost me about $100.00 in fuel, $80.00 in the truck and 13.00 dollars to fill a 5 gallon can and a few more dollars to top the wheeler.
For the answer to your question NO it won't hinder my hunting. I will just have to deal with it.

Offline Lawdog

Gas prices
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 01:37:18 PM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
No way, I hunt in both Delaware and Maryland. Hunting is my passion, I won't give it up because of the price of gas.

I'm with you about hunting.  No way is gas prices going to stop us from hunting.  Oregon and Nevada on top of California.  Of course staying and hunting with relations helps defray the costs.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Dave in WV

Gas prices
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 03:57:15 PM »
My neighbor works in a refinery and what he has told me about the "oil shortage" leads me to believe we should open a new season.  :evil:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline rockbilly

Gas prices
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 04:48:12 PM »
:shock: Oil shortage?  There is plenty of oil, we just don't have the refiners to process it.  In this area of West Texas you can't get the storage tanks at the wells pumped.  I was told Friday that it would be six weeks before a tank could be pumped.  The well pump is shut down, no place to store the oil it could pump for six weeks.............

Mr. Boosh can give all the tax breaks he wants to the large oil companys, but nothing is going to help until we improve our ability to refine the product we have on hand.  Supply and demand, that's the driving force for the high prices.

We may see $4.00 a gallon and rationing before it gets better...........But I will continue to hunt and fish......where is my Oklahoma credit card?

Offline Dave in WV

Gas prices
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 05:11:48 PM »
There is no oil shortage. There is a shortage of gasoline and diesel fuel shortage. They are refining oil to the tune of mandatory overtime for all employees and the storage tanks at the refinery are storing more refined products than has been done in over twenty years with products going out the gate as usual.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Gas prices
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 05:12:54 PM »
I work for a refined petroleum pipeline company and as far as I can tell the gas prices hasn’t affected much of anything. Our line rates are as high as they have ever been and if we had more room in the pipe we’d be pumping more than we are now. Heck, we’re even looking for a record year for through put. Most all of the product we pump is refined in the US but we only supply 33% of refined petroleum products to the north east coast, which in laymans terms equals out to three million six hundred ninety six thousand barrels per hour 7 days a week and 365 days per year.

From the looks of things I don’t think there will be less hunters in the woods due to gas prices.

Rumor also has it that with in the next 8 years gas will be around $5.00/gallon.

Take Care,
Scott

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Gas prices
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
TScottO, your killing me. I might have to buy one of those japanese trucks to take me hunting.  :oops:  I just don't want to see that happen, I love my Big Dodge.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
Gas prices
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 06:00:30 PM »
lol Redhawk, I wouldn’t sweat it too much, it’s just a rumor. The last I heard, for next year, gas will average $2.10/gallon throughout 2006.

The worst thing about it is, if/when the price of crude drops per barrel the government will never drop the prices as low as they once were simply because the consumer will be accustomed to paying the high price. We might see a drop in gasoline prices but they will never be as low as they once were.

History proves this with the Exxon Valdez (sp) incident in the 80’s. The litigation for that case has well be paid off as well as the US having price breaks on oil because they went over their and capped off their burning wells. It was an agreement the US would have price breaks on oil if they provided their services to them. Since the price of gas went up due to the excuse of litigations and various other reasons, we, the consumer were tagged higher gas prices. Even though we did get price breaks on oil, the consumer saw very little drop in gas prices once those problems were cleared up.

I’m pretty sure the days of lower priced gasoline are pretty much over. I, as much as anyone, hope I get to eat those words. We’ll see…

Take Care,
Scott

Offline Lawdog

Gas prices
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 11:02:56 AM »
The very best thing that could happen is for oil companies to be regulated.  When the highest prices for gasoline are right outside the refinery gates there is something wrong.  Gas prices of $3.09 per gallon right outside the Standard Oil refinery delivery gate in the Bay Area.  Gasoline prices are $.40 per gallon cheaper AFTER adding the shipping charges in Northern California.  Profits have never been higher for oil companies than they are right now.  Don’t believe me?  Just do a check of the stock prices for the last 5 years for the oil companies on the New York Stock Exchange.  “Redhawk1”, I love my Dodges too.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Gas prices
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 11:21:38 AM »
I guess the price of gas will be the least of my concerns this season.

The private land I've been hunting since '88 now has a couple gates and a corral for show horses blocking the access. Don't reckon I'll be able to hunt there anymore.

The shortness of breath issues I've been having aren't improving even tho I'm not on Advair twice a day and albuterol several times a day. I really can't walk far and climbing hills and/or dragging deer back out are really history for me. There is plenty of good hunting on public land here but I really am no longer able to access it.

My doctor has volunteered to let me hunt at his farm so that might be an option for me this year. He says I can ride my four wheeler right to where I'll be sitting if I want. Got to get with him and find out where his place is and check it out between now and opening day. If he's where I think he is I figure it's about twice as far as where I had been hunting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
Gas prices
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 12:52:32 PM »
The best laid plans of mice and men

or

A funny thing happened on the way to Middle-East democracy

Oil prices and the war in Iraq

The six members of the Gulf Cooperation Council, or GCC, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates are experiencing greater growth then they have since the 70s.

As oil prices reach new highs their, gross domestic product, has grown by 17%, in Saudi Arabia, this has meant that in three years, revenue from oil exports, are greater than for all of the 1990s.

The neo-con dream of Iraq oil flooding the market, to offset OPEC and render them obsolete, is now proving to have been a pipe (line) dream.  Before sanctions Iraq pumped 3.5 million barrels a day, under the UN food for oil program Iraq pumped 2.5 million barrels per day, and under occupation, Iraq pumped 1.6 million barrels per day, of course a major reason for the decline was that oil production facilities in Iraq have been attacked almost 300 times since the invasion.

Not that it would really matter if Iraq had doubled production, China is now the second largest consumer of oil after the US, and they have accounted for nearly a 40% increase in demand.  Couple that with our own growing thirst, as exemplified by the fact that the Corporate Average Fuel Economy of the vehicles produced by Ford today, are less than those of the Model T.  Add India’s growing demand, along with the rest of the developing world, and low priced oil is a thing of the past.  The demand for oil in developing nations is growing so fast that Indonesia, an OPEC member, is a net importer of oil now.

Current world demand for oil is around 85 million barrels per day and is expected to be close to 88 million barrels per day by 2006, as globalization redistributes revenues, greater demand will be coming from those nations that have not been traditionally large consumers of oil.

While the instability of the Middle East adds a certain premium to the price of oil, the increase in oil prices is demand driven and the war has had little to do with it, and increased refinery capacity will be a rather short-term moderator of fuel prices considering that by the time increased refinery capacity is available, demand will have grown even more.  Many think that we have depleted half of all the oil reserves available and are thus at the peak in terms of available oil. Whether this is true, one thing is for certain, the days of “easy” oil are over with.

So strap in.

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Gas prices
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 01:16:33 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
I guess the price of gas will be the least of my concerns this season.

The private land I've been hunting since '88 now has a couple gates and a corral for show horses blocking the access. Don't reckon I'll be able to hunt there anymore.

The shortness of breath issues I've been having aren't improving even tho I'm not on Advair twice a day and albuterol several times a day. I really can't walk far and climbing hills and/or dragging deer back out are really history for me. There is plenty of good hunting on public land here but I really am no longer able to access it.

My doctor has volunteered to let me hunt at his farm so that might be an option for me this year. He says I can ride my four wheeler right to where I'll be sitting if I want. Got to get with him and find out where his place is and check it out between now and opening day. If he's where I think he is I figure it's about twice as far as where I had been hunting.

That's a good Doc you got there.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Chuck White

• A Real Regular
Gas prices
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 01:18:10 PM »
delete
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Chuck White

• A Real Regular
Gas prices
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 01:19:53 PM »
NOT ME!!!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I can hunt from my deck with a cup of coffee by my side!  I can also go to my brothers camp, that's 3 miles or hunt State Land, thats 1/2 mile!

Gas price in Russell today is $2.72 for regular!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline rockbilly

Gas prices
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 01:58:06 PM »
:roll: I don't know where the bottleneck is, but I do know I have tanks on my place that can not be pumped and transported for SIX weeks.  That means the production for the well is shut down until the storage tank is empty.

Production in Texas has been limited by the two fires at the Houston refinery this year.  Even before the fire, the refinery was so outdated production quotas were limited and in some cases could not be met.

The high price of gas or diesel is scary, but looking back, I paid over $3.00 a gallon back in the early seventys while living in europe.  We can be thankful for the low prices we have enjoyed for so many years, the folks over there have been digging deep in their pockets for a while.

Offline retrieverhunter

gas prices
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
I only have to crank my 4 wheeler to hunt my Texas place but have been stressing over the 1200 mile round trip to my Oklahoma place.  I have been planning all year to make at least 3 trips for deer season and another trip or two for waterfowl plus a trip to scout.  The way I figure it that is about 7000 miles give or take.  This had been really bringing me down.  Until I realized the money that I will be saving by not having to stay in a motel this year or eat out every meal.  It could actually cost me less this year.  OK, now I am pumped again!
Jeff S.

Offline Lawdog

Gas prices
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 10:47:19 AM »
Hope this works?  http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=970

This was taken last Friday, August 12th.  And the prediction is higher prices are on the way.  Lawdog

Offline Lawdog

Gas prices
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 11:43:30 AM »
Quote from: rockbilly
:roll: I don't know where the bottleneck is, but I do know I have tanks on my place that can not be pumped and transported for SIX weeks.  That means the production for the well is shut down until the storage tank is empty.

Production in Texas has been limited by the two fires at the Houston refinery this year.  Even before the fire, the refinery was so outdated production quotas were limited and in some cases could not be met.

The high price of gas or diesel is scary, but looking back, I paid over $3.00 a gallon back in the early seventys while living in europe.  We can be thankful for the low prices we have enjoyed for so many years, the folks over there have been digging deep in their pockets for a while.

Go to http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html to see what gas prices are now in Europe as compared to here.  Lawdog

Offline rockbilly

Gas prices
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 04:59:59 PM »
:eek: Scary.......I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see the price that high in the US by this time next year.  Course, most of the major oil companys are showing a 58 percent profit so far this year.  Am I missing something here?

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Gas prices
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 05:58:46 PM »
I don't want any of them gas prices.  :evil:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Gas prices
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 09:41:50 PM »
Gas prices won't keep me away either.I hunt mostly 377 acres of private land less than a 1/2 mile away.The other place I hunt (40 private acres) is about 5 miles away,but,I have to go by it going to and from work.So that's not bad either..............Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline rickyp

Gas prices
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 03:21:25 AM »
the chard doesn't show the gas prices in the middle east. I have heard they are as loas $1.00 a gallon

Offline Lawdog

Gas prices
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 09:37:03 AM »
rickyp,

One of my employee's just returned from Iraq and gas is $0.10 a gallon.  Gasoline prices in Tijuana, Mexico is $1.97 a gallon for gasoline trucked across the border from California refineries.  Same trucks that deliver to the stations in San Diego drive across the border to and fill the tanks in the stations in Tijuana.  Oil companies are making a heck of a profit and doing so at the expense of the American public.  Lawdog

Offline rickyp

Gas prices
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 09:40:47 AM »
they will charge what the market will let them,
If we find another fuel and no longer need the gas they will drop the price way down.

Offline nealglen37

• Avid Poster
Bass pro shop
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2005, 05:36:40 PM »
I would not be a bit surprized if cabalas or Bass pro shop ............comes out with their own line of hybrid hunting trucks and SUVs...............that was meant as a joke......................but after a little thought......................its plausible.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
Gas prices
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 11:36:52 AM »
I hunt a lot and I mean a lot. I save all my comp time and vacation time just for hunting season. When I take one shift off this puts me off for five straight days. This and the cost of fuel is something that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I figure I'm 'gonna burn about ten dollars for each trip from my home to the deer woods and roughly twenty for each trip to the bottoms to hunt duck and geese. Those figures are at present pump prices and don't reflect pulling a boat or an ATV/Trailer or running to a nearby market for a cold drink and sandwich.  I already spend roughly $50 a week in fuel getting back and forth to work. When hunting season gets here I'm expecting my fuel usage to roughly double.  I'm thinking more and more about leaving my ATV in the barn where I hunt and going straight to my hunting spot in the morning when I get off work and spending the day there and only coming home at night to eat supper, shower, and sleep. I like my Chevy but those small pickups are looking more and more appealing.
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES