Author Topic: Best Budget scope  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Best Budget scope
« on: August 15, 2005, 11:43:33 AM »
I'm in the market for a good scope but i can't go out and drop $400 on a Leupold or Burris being on a school kids income. I need one to put on a 270 win. I've been looking for awhile now and all the choices that are out there are really puzzling. I want a good scope for under $150, nothing fancy just a basic scope. No illuminated reticle......just a basic budget rifle scope that will handle the recoil of a 270. I know ya'll have suggestions so let's hear them :grin: . I really can't decide on any definite choice. Simmons, Tasco, Nikon, BSA, Redfield, etc, etc, I NEED HELP DECIDING!!!!!

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Best Budget scope
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 11:51:04 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Best Budget scope
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 01:32:13 PM »
I would go with a Mueller, Nikon, or the upper Simmons(Aetec, Whitetail Expedition).  They all have a lifetime warranty and have excellent glass.  The Bushnells have great glass but only offer a one year warranty in the Legend line.  I would have to give the edge to the Mueller. Another great scope is the Simmons Whitetail Expedition around $100 if you can still find them. They are basically an Aetec with another name. Whatever you buy make sure it is something you won't have to replace. Quality and  Warranty mean everything in buying a scope.

Offline Lawdog

Re: Best Budget scope
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 02:16:57 PM »
Quote from: Varminter
I'm in the market for a good scope but i can't go out and drop $400 on a Leupold or Burris being on a school kids income. I need one to put on a 270 win. I've been looking for awhile now and all the choices that are out there are really puzzling. I want a good scope for under $150, nothing fancy just a basic scope. No illuminated reticle......just a basic budget rifle scope that will handle the recoil of a 270. I know ya'll have suggestions so let's hear them :grin: . I really can't decide on any definite choice. Simmons, Tasco, Nikon, BSA, Redfield, etc, etc, I NEED HELP DECIDING!!!!!

I can help by removing two from your list.  Forget the Tasco(JUNK) and Bushnell brands.  But let me add one to your list - Leapers(http://www.leapers.com/pages/airgun%20sport/airgun%20scope.htm).  Any of these are under $150.00 and they will stand up to any springer air rifle so they will stand up to any cartridge/rifle that has more recoil than your .270 will ever have.  Very clear, bright and sharp to the edges.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Best Budget scope
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 02:55:31 PM »
Varminteer, Try a swift premier series. I like the 2-7X40 for deer hunting. Try here they are on sale. www.eabco.com Regards, Byron  :D
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Zachary

Best Budget scope
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 03:28:51 PM »
My favorites are Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200s, and Zeiss Conquests.

However, given that your budget is tighter, I believe that your best bet and value would be the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the Nikon Buckmaster.

Zachary

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
Best Budget scope
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 05:57:09 PM »
whitetail expedition 4x12x42. gunbrokers.com for around 100 bucks. won't beat this scope for the money.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Best Budget scope
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 06:02:27 PM »
Nikon Buckmaster if you can't get a Leupold.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline loaded4bear

• Avid Poster
Best Budget scope
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 07:46:56 PM »
If you could go slightly higher than $150, here's a scope that I think you'd be very happy with (the 3-9X40)...

Bushnell® Elite® 3200 Fast Focus Riflescopes
The 3-9x40 and 3-9x50 boast fast-focus eyepieces along with premium multicoated optics. The innovative Rainguard® coating ensures maximum clarity in all field and weather conditions. It has audible and resettable 1/4-MOA click windage and elevation adjustments. These scopes have been recoil tested to 1,000 rounds of a .375 H&H. An Elite® Bullet Proof Warranty assures you that Bushnell® will repair or replace, at no cost, any Elite® riflescope that becomes defective during normal use. No receipt is required and there's no time limit.  

I put one on a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm-08 & have no regrets. A lot of features & quality for the money (especially the Rainguard lens coating).

Best price I've found anywhere for this scope was $179.00
NRA ( life member)
NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife WCC (volunteer)
NJDF&W Hunter Education Instructor
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs (member)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Best Budget scope
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 08:05:39 PM »
Quote from: loaded4bear
An Elite® Bullet Proof Warranty assures you that Bushnell® will repair or replace, at no cost, any Elite® riflescope that becomes defective during normal use. No receipt is required and there's no time limit.  

Best price I've found anywhere for this scope was $179.00

Bushnell's warranty is only good to the original owner...

Bushnell Performance Optics guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/warranty.cfm

The Optic Zone has the 3-9x40 for $174...

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3259

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Best Budget scope
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 04:10:33 AM »
Search the net for a Burris FFII.  It is all the scope you will ever need for any hunting condition.  There are better, but much more money.  You don't need the ballistic plex.  Just the plain FFII 3-9x40.  Should be able to find one for around $150.  Good Luck,

Offline Dave in WV

Best Budget scope
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 04:45:43 AM »
The Optic Zone has the Nikon Buckmaster fixed 4X for under $150. Can't get any more basic than that. :wink:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Best Budget scope
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 05:40:45 AM »
If you are looking for a budget, variable scope than I would recommend taking a look at the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40.  Very nice scope, clear and bright and under your $150.00 price range.  If you can move up slightly, than I would recommend the Nikon Buckmaster or the Bushnell Elite 3200.  Just $25.00 over your budget, but well worth the extra money.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Best Budget scope
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
Ok i've got it narrowed down to just a few now....

Bushnell 3200 2-7x32
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3257
Weaver Classic 2.8-10x38
http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=70
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2322

For some reason i'm really intruiged by the Weaver? Can anyone tell me some info on that one?

What rings would ya'll recommend?

Offline Dave in WV

Best Budget scope
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 03:18:50 PM »
I had a Weaver like you're considering. It's a decent scope. My son still has one on his .243. That said I would get the Bushnell 2x7. If you can come up with $10 more the 3x9 Nikon Buckmaster will blow the Pro Staff and Weaver away. I can understand money and the decision of limits. I'll also tell you when I was your age I couldn't see spending the money on a Leupold when a $50 Tasco or Bushnell looked as clear and bright to me. I'm 51 now and old eyes can't make up for poor optics. When us old guys make recommendations that seem extravagant at times we literally don't see things like you do.  :wink:
I don't know what type of rifle you have but IMO the Talley light weight rings are good and don't cost too much. The base is part of the lower half of the rings. They look clean, have less parts to come loose, and are aluminum so they won't rust. I put them on my Remington 7600.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Best Budget scope
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 03:25:29 PM »
I agree with Dave.  Of the 3 mentioned, I would go with the Bushnell Elite 3200.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Best Budget scope
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 11:07:59 AM »
The Bushnell has really got my attention. :wink:  I'll be putting it on a NEF handi rifle. I know alot of people look down on these rifles but i really like them. I think the Burris Zee rings would  be a pretty good choice. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keeep them coming. I know this one is out of the price range but what about the Weaver Grand Slams?

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
Best Budget scope
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 07:29:16 AM »
Varminter,

I have that Weaver 2-10X on my 243.  It's a good scope except the eye relief is a bit short on it. Something to consider since a lightweight 270 will kick noticeably more than a heavyish (new word) 243.  I plan on replacing it with probably a Nikon Monarch 3-9X.  I have this very Nikon scope on my 280 and love it.  However, it's a "when I get around to it" project.  If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the Bushnell Elite 2-7X and call it a day.

Offline redawg

• Avid Poster
Best Budget scope
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 02:17:47 PM »
I was going to suggest the 2-7 Elite after I read the first post.  I think it would be a very good choice as are the Burris rings you're looking at.  If I had to work within the price limits you've set, that's the scope I'd buy!  Good luck with your decision. :D

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
What's wrong with the Mueller?
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 05:10:02 PM »
I own an Elite 3200 2-7X32 and think it is great, but I have been toying with buying the Mueller listed up thread for my son.   I notice it dropped out of contention.  What is wrong with it?

In fact what is wrong with the Mueller Sport Dot 3-9x40 for that matter?  I hunt in Missouri and often have to deal with shadows.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Best Budget scope
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 06:16:53 PM »
There's nothing wrong with the Mueller 2-7x32, Drew just doesn't want an illuminated reticle. Mueller is working on several non-illuminated scopes, the latest is the 3-10x44 Tac II....

http://muelleroptics.com/TacII/3-10x44TACII.htm

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Avid Poster
Best Budget scope
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 06:21:01 PM »
Varminter,

I would recommend you spend the extra $25 and get this Bushnell Elite 3200:

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3252

You won't be sorry... this is one of the best scopes I've ever owned, and I usually only buy Leupold or Nikon.

Best wishes,
Bawko
Support your local chicken.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
Best Budget scope
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 06:32:37 PM »
While I love my Elite 3200 the scope you mention is an Elite 3200 10x40, Mil Dot, Matte. His rifle is a 270.  I don't think he needs a 10 power fixed.  I could be wrong.  But his rifle is a classic deer rifle and since deer move quickly I think he probably would be best served by a greater field of view.  Of course I could be wrong. And as I said I own a 2-7 X 32 Elite 3200 and think it is great. It is the go to scope on my deer rifle.  Again I hunt in Missouri and long shots are not all that common.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Best Budget scope
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2005, 12:59:43 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. I think i will go with the 3200.

Ron, here in East TN shots aren't very far either. 100-150 is about it. 50-85 is more common.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline ftstinyc

Bushnell Elite warranty
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2005, 08:09:16 AM »
This is what the warranty says on the Elite that I just got Friday.We are so
proud of our Bushnell Elite rifle scope that their materials and workmanship are warranted to be free of defects for the life of the Elite
rifle scope.The warranty is available to any owner of the Elite rifle scope.
No receipt or warranty card is required. This warranty does not cover
damages caused by misuse or improper handing, Installation or
maintenance of the rifle scope. So if I read this right you don't have to be
the orginal owner. Now for the first year no question asked warranty and
you want your money back you will probably have to be the orginal owner.
I don't see anything in the book about that.
tinyc

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Best Budget scope
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 03:11:18 AM »
I got the Elite and this offer for about $170 I think (it was a present!)
http://www.bushnell.com/special_offers/xl_duffle.cfm
http://www.4scopes.com/2004%20Leupold.htm

Works on my Handi!

pepaw

Offline Paul Barnard

Best Budget scope
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 03:46:54 AM »
Of those on your short list you cannot go wrong.  I have the Weaver.  It has been with me for about 8 years.  It has been used successfully on everything from blacktail deer in Kodiak Alaska to whitetail bucks in coastal Mississippi.  It has been exposed to extremes in weather.  100+ degree heat to near zero degree cold.  Dry air, humid air and all day long rain.  It has never failed me.  I like my Weaver more than I do my Leupold VX2.  It is optically superior.  You can get them at www.natchezss.com (Chattanooga TN) for about $140.  Best wishes and let us know what you decide on.