Author Topic: walnut hill/s-press differences?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline whisper

• Trade Count: (0)
walnut hill/s-press differences?
« on: August 17, 2005, 03:19:40 AM »
can I use use dies from both rceco and corbin in the same press?
just wondering if everything is the same on both of them, thread size,heigth,leverage and so on.
if they are different I am not sure which one to choose.
after what I´ve read here they will both do a good job

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 04:25:08 AM »
RCE sells a conversion unit to make their Walnut Hill press compatable with Corbin Co's 'M' and 'S' size die sets. The Corbin Co offers no such conversion capability for their 'S' press for RCE's brand of dies. I strongly suggest that if you are just starting out in swaging to really look hard at the Walnut Hill brand of tooling. 8)

Offline whisper

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 04:59:44 AM »
so if I buy a walnut press, I get it for less AND I can use corbin tools?
where´s the catch?
corbin is a much bigger firm so I guess there is a bigger chance they have more tools/equipment on hand.
and after what I´ve read here richard works alone.
dunno if this really means that much.
anybody know approximate delivery time on dies and press from richard?
guess I could mail him,but I´ll ask here first

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 07:02:24 AM »
Go to   http://www.rceco.com/   and click on " surplus equipment". All of the items there are ready for shipment ( except for the ones that have just been sold and haven't had time to be removed from the list). And, I believe Richard has a new batch of Walnut Hill presses for immediate shipment. Don't forget to order the "M & S" die conversion bushing thou.
 THE weakness in the Swaging tool area is that suppliers are usually one deep. That is specifically true with RCE, but is probably true with Corbin Co also: Oh, it's true that there are several folks working at Corbin's, but Dave IS the driving force and I doubt if he has anyone in the wings to replace him when the time comes. He could sell the company, of course, but not the spirit. Just about every outfit that has built bullet swaging gear passes on at, or very soon after, its founder passes on/retires. Corbin's is an exception: The Corbins bought the previous venerable owner, Mr Ted Smith, out, improved the line, and produced many new, innovating products. That is THE exception in dozens of dead ends. Know and understand  this if you are going into this hobby/business. The tools are expensive, but do need 'factory' support from time to time. By the way, Richard Corbin, the owner of RCE, was Corbin Co's master machinist and co-pardner with his brother, David, until only a few years ago. And, RCE's product line is only limited by the time Richard has available. His catalog is a lot longer than his web site infers. 8)

Offline whisper

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 07:54:18 AM »
since I can use dies from both and the walnut hill press is just as good or better I´m going with that one.
thanks for the help   8)

Offline Chuckwhacker

Walnut Hill Press
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 06:38:56 AM »
I've been using the above press for several years now with a variety of different dies.  Richard even made an adapter for some non-standard dies I had acquired, and also made punches for them.  Using some leftover 7/8 - 14 punch holders I am able to use an old set of Biehler&Astles dies I came across.  The Walnut Hill press is an excellent purchase IMHO.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:34:52 AM »
I use the equipment from both Corbin's.
But getting what you order from Dave is like ordering a Shiloh rifle. It seems to take for ever even if it is in Daves surpluss equipment list.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.