Author Topic: Pix of JMinNM's homebuilt howitzer  (Read 789 times)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Pix of JMinNM's homebuilt howitzer
« on: August 19, 2005, 05:12:54 AM »
Recently JMinNM (John) passed through my town and I had the opportunity to take a couple pix of his homebuilt which, I think, is a real work of art.  We didn't want to unload the cannon just for some pix so here is the best I could do under the circumstances.  John indicated that he will be trying his hand at posting some that are much better.

Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 08:42:15 AM »
Blaster,
She looks like a first class piece!
Kap

Offline Dictator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 09:23:54 AM »
That's a nice looking howitzer. Looks like I'm not the only one getting good use out of my digital camera :grin:

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 11:44:06 AM »
Kappullen and Dictator... thanks.  John has indicated that he has pictures of the gun in various stages of the build.  He has made the entire thing himself, including wheels.  I am in hopes that he will get those pictures posted real soon so we can really see his "baby".  Yeah, DD, I know--I'll have to ask John to be sure to place a powder can next to it for scale.  :wink:
Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 03:07:47 PM »
And two more pictures of John's howitzer...

Thanks for looking.  Now John will have to follow up with the various specs for this gun..
Oops, sorry DD, but I forgot to suggest to John, that he place a powder can next to the cannon for scale! :oops:
Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

Offline JMinNM

JMinNM's homebuilt
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 12:32:55 PM »
Blaster
       Thanks for posting pics of my mountain howitzer. I will be posting aditional info on howitzer and projectiles a little later
                                                   JM

Offline JMinNM

JMinNM's homebuilt howitzer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 07:26:44 PM »
Hi Folks
   Yes as Blaster stated my partner and I built two Model 1841 Mountain howitzers from  copies of original plans(as best we could).We started with a 80" section of 8"od X 3.5" id steel tubing, a pickup load of 4X12Xwhatever oak, some strap ironand a section of a bodarc tree(for the wheel hubs). About a year later we finished a very interesting project with the first firing on July 4th.
    Blaster took those pictures when my wife and I were on our way to Littleton Co. to take part in a concertin a park. There were 17 cannons there that kept time to the 1812 Overture. My granddaughters were my gun crew. We had quite a time.
  JM