Author Topic: RUSTY !  (Read 696 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
RUSTY !
« on: August 21, 2005, 07:15:53 AM »
Not my mold blocks... the operator.  I went to cast up some .358 180gr gas check boolits for hunting this season and culled 95% of what I cast.  The other 5% should have gone back in the pot but I'm going to make do with them.  I wish it would cool off some so I can stand to be out there in the barn longer.  If you don't cast for 8 months and were never really good in the first place, them things don't come out right.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Tycer

• Trade Count: (0)
RUSTY !
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 03:17:24 PM »
I can empathize! Just got an excellent .360 dia 205gr mould from Dan Lynch at mountainmold.com and am having a time learning how to cast it.

I did find a $7 grill thermometer at the kitchen store that floats on the alloy. I keep it at 700ยบ and I'm doing better.

what gun are you casting for?

T
Thanks to you''uns from WNC,

Tycer

There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness
                                            -Yancey Davis

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
RUSTY !
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 03:24:33 PM »
I know what you mean haywire! It was 94 in the shade with 85% humidity. Felt like 105+. By the time I got the molds,pot and other gear assembled ,I was dripping sweat so bad I feared an explosion fromsweat falling into the pot! Put it all away and went to the range, took an electric fan for company!

Offline Haywire Haywood

RUSTY !
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 03:41:15 PM »
I was casting from the 180gr group buy mold that has run here a couple times for my NEF Handi in 357 Max.  I also dropped a few from my Mountain Molds .458 325gr WFNGC for my NEF 45-70.  Dan makes great molds.. Had better success this afternoon with both of them, only culled 70% of the 358s and 25% of the 458s.  :-D

Ian

usually...

Offline Leftoverdj

RUSTY !
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 10:05:41 PM »
Ian, more likely to be Lee than you. Lee uses some incredibly tenacious preservative on their moulds. With a new mould, that's my best guess at your reject rate. I boil new moulds in soapy water for half an hour and it can take two tries. Other cleaning methods don't work for me.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Haywire Haywood

RUSTY !
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 11:11:22 AM »
Got'em in the soup now.. boiled them for 30 min, let'em soak for an hour (had to go to town) brushed them out with a soft toothbrush and they're on the boil again for 30.  I'll brush'em again, rinse and hairdryer them when they're done.

Ian

usually...

Offline Haywire Haywood

RUSTY !
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 01:06:30 PM »
DJ, never was there a nail struck more squarely upon the head.  Just got in from casting a bunch from those freshly scrubbed molds and the difference is amazing.  They're still far from perfect, but the cull rate for my uses just dropped to 5 or 10 percent and they practically jump out of the mold compared to the whacking of the hinge I was doing to get them out.  A few taps with a tablespoon and they are out.

much thanks,
Ian

Edit:  After letting them cool and going thru them, they aren't quite as good as they initially looked.  Culls were 25%.. still much much better tho.

usually...

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
Lee molds
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 03:56:24 PM »
I have over 25 Lee molds, I just use an acid brush with acetone, carefully clean the cavities and vents, about 30 seconds, de burr with an exacto knife blade. give a quick shot of Frankfort mold release, use a q tip and acetone to clean the vents again, touch a bit of nickel neversieze on the guides and the handle and sprue plate pivots, put a tapered punch in the sprue holes, then use a fine slip on the bottom of the holes to smooth it off.
Have no problems after 2 or 3 bullets, sometimes the second bullet is good.
D. Rinks

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
RUSTY !
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 01:02:16 AM »
ian  all my moulds are lee i do the heavy cleaning trick then give them a good clean with rubbing alcohol the this is the trick i smoke the moulds with candle smoke .they cast good bullets all the time that was advice given by track of the wolfe.hope this is some help.
bernie :-)
if its feral its in peril