Author Topic: Rolling Block Pistol rebore / rebarrel....  (Read 643 times)

Offline madbadger

• Trade Count: (0)
Rolling Block Pistol rebore / rebarrel....
« on: August 22, 2005, 11:52:42 AM »
Does anyone have any experience in reboring/rebarreling the Navy Arms / Uberti reproductions of the Rolling Block pistol?

I have one in .357 Mag and an extra .22 LR barrel.  I'd like to play around with different calibers such as a .50 Special (aka Bowen) or .....  to try and approximate the original .50 Navy Rolling Block pistol (blackpowder cartridge).  Honestly, I don't know much about the strength of this design though I read that it's quite strong.  I'm not looking to make a super-thumper, that's what Encores are for.  Just a fun, relatively easy shooting big bore.

Thoughts??

I doubt that the .22 LR twist rate lends itself to a simple rechamber in some fun caliber - let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance,

MadBadger
Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again.

-- Daniel Webster

Offline Ray P

• Trade Count: (0)
Rolling Block Pistol rebore / rebarrel....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 10:08:25 AM »
A few years back, I had looked at the same thing; reboring a rolling block pistol to a centerfire approximation of the old 50 cal Navy Rimfire.  
The difficulties I found were:

The Uberti RBP is scaled down from the old Remington action.  One of the 60's NRA gunsmithing guides* shows the original barrel with a 1-inch diameter.  I believe the Uberti barrel is 3/4-inch; not much meat left for a healthy 50 caliber cartridge.

*The Navy and Army Remington RB pistols were very popular for conversion to single-shot rifles back before the GCA of 1968.  Nowdays,  even if you could find one, you couldn't restore it to pistol configuration without running afoul of ATFE.

I had even gone so far as to see if that Texas RB action company would consider a run of full-scale pistol actions, but no interest.

So I bought a 45-70 barrel for my Contender, and I feel much better now.
TANSTAAFL