Author Topic: Ball Monkey  (Read 538 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Ball Monkey
« on: August 27, 2005, 12:31:02 PM »
In the old days, my cannon were small and I would simply glue together a stack of balls for display. The small caliber balls were cheap and plentiful so I could always spare a few to be sacrificed for visual effect.

That doesn't work so well when the stacks start to be measured in pounds instead of ounces.

I considered actually soldering the balls together, but these days I'm more into functional accessories than static displays.

Here is a "Monkey" I made about a year ago. I'm not sure if that is in fact the correct terminology, but that's what I've always heard.

It was made from a leftover piece of ¾" thick oak. It measures just over 3¾" at its widest point.

The corners originally came out to a point, but I was afraid that they would be easily damaged so the corners were clipped as shown. A 45° bevel was cut all around the top edge. The indentations for the balls were made with a 7/8 Forstner bit and are roughly ¼" deep.

It was finished with two coats of Formbys low-gloss tung oil.

It will hold ten of my 1.125" cast lead balls. The weight of the wood base and balls together is over three pounds.

It was originally intended to be used in the field, but has never seen any action. As with many of my creations, it was deemed impractical.

It sits next my my monitor, stacked and ready in case the computer desk is ever attacked by hostile forces.

http://www.fototime.com./793E4EBA1AE54E9/orig.jpg">

http://www.fototime.com./EC28AA71EC5D28D/orig.jpg">

http://www.fototime.com./FA15356BC650037/orig.jpg">

Who else has something similar?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Ball Monkey
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 12:37:02 PM »
That's cool!

I've been meaning to build a simple one from 1/4" brass welding rod.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Ball Monkey
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 02:41:16 AM »
Terry,

That's mighty fine looking.

I'm sure many forum readers are familiar with the "controversy" surrounding the term "brass monkey".

The story goes as follows:

"In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannon fired round iron cannon balls. It was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck?

The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of thirty cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon.

There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate called a "Monkey" with sixteen round indentations. But, if this plate was made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make "Brass Monkeys."

Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped  too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey. Thus, it was quite literally,  "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!"

And here is a counter argument:

The purported method of storage of cannonballs ("round shot") is simply false. Shot was not stored on deck continuously on the off-chance that the ship might go into battle. Indeed, decks were kept as clear as possible. Furthermore, such a method of storage would result in shot rolling loose and rolling around on deck, causing a hazard, in high seas. Shot was stored on the gun or spar decks, in shot racks — longitudinal wooden planks with holes bored into them, known as shot garlands in the Royal Navy, into which round shot were inserted for ready use by the gun crew.

Shot was not left exposed to the elements, where it could rust. Such rust could lead to the ball not flying true. Indeed, gunners would attempt to remove as many imperfections as possible from the surfaces of balls.

The physics simply does not hold water. All of the balls would contract equally, and the contraction of both balls and plate over the range of temperatures involved would not be particularly large. The effect claimed possibly could be reproduced under laboratory conditions with objects engineered to a high precision for this purpose, but it is unlikely it would ever have occurred in real life aboard a warship.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
Ball Monkey
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 03:55:19 AM »
That's where I got the term "monkey." :wink:

That story has been making the rounds for many years, although I'm more inclined to believe the counterargument. No matter how good the balls fit onto the base, they still can and will roll off the upper levels of the stack in rough handling. I can see the same thing happening on a pitching deck.

I may make another, larger piece. I originally had the stack drawn at 4x4 square on the bottom level, but decided it would take too many balls (30) to haul around. I switched to the 3x3 triangle because it only held ten balls, a 3x3 square would have held hold fourteen balls.

Since I'm not using it in the field, a larger stack would make a more impressive display.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Ball Monkey
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 08:04:05 AM »
Brass and cast iron have a difference in coefficients of expansion of about 5 microinches per inch per degree F.  If the temperature dropped 100 degrees lower than a perfect fit (balls touching), each ball would be only .003" larger than the corresponding hole.  I doubt the devices were made (if they were made at all) to a tolerance where that miniscule amount would be relevant.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill