Author Topic: Scope Focus adjustment?  (Read 360 times)

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Scope Focus adjustment?
« on: August 30, 2005, 07:05:08 AM »
As my eyes age, and my glasses become thicker, I am beginning to encounter an out of focus with all of my scopes: Bausch & Lomb 3X9; Weaver 4X; and Redfield Wide angle 4X.

Is there an adjustment for extending or shortening the focal length so the image is share in the scope?

The reticle is well defined and sharp, the interested image is not, and it is not "off" by a lot, just noticable enough to be a bother.

Fair Chase
Land Owner.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Scope Focus adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 10:34:55 AM »
Unless your scopes have a parallax adjustment (on objective bell normally) then the only adjustment is that on the eye piece. Usually that's enough in the power range you mention.

There is a bit of a knack to proper adjustment of the eye piece tho. Don't look continuously thru it while adjusting. Hold it up to the open blue sky or a light colored building some distance away. The sky is best. If the cross hairs are not in clear focus adjust the eye piece a bit and look again. Do this until the cross hairs are in sharp focus.

That should then allow the image you aim at to also be in sharp focus. If lit's not the first thing I'd do is check to see if both objective and eye lens are clean. If they are not that will fuzz the target image. If they need to be cleaned you can use a Q-Tip and alcohol to do the job. I like to finish with a Q-Tip soaked in acetone as it is less likely to smear than the alcohol as it evaporates faster.

If after doing all that things are still fuzzy I'd be tempted to send one back to factory for checking out to see if maybe the scope is at fault rather than your eyes. Of course I'm not looking thru your eyes so it's hard to be certain in such matters. Below 10X what I've mentioned above "should" be all that's needed.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!