Author Topic: Golf ball Mortar Contest Entry - CU_Cannon  (Read 3323 times)

Offline CU_Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Golf ball Mortar Contest Entry - CU_Cannon
« on: September 02, 2005, 05:34:32 AM »
Here is my entry.

It is a 3 part design which comes apart for cleaning.  The bands were glued on using loctite.  Shrinking them in place would have been better but I over bored it so loctite was a good option.  The trunnion is held in place with two 10-24 cap screws.  The trunnion pulls the breach plug against the shoulder inside the bore holding everything together.

The DOM tubing was used for the barrel with the piece of bar as a breach plug.  The wood was used for the base.

Here are a couple of pictures before paint.  I’ll get a few posted with everything painted in a couple of days.

It isn’t much for accuracy.  Much of the inaccuracy was due to roll of the ball.  If the ball stuck where it landed it would have been great.  Most of the shots hit with in 10ft of the stake.  The second problem was the difficulty of accurately measuring small amounts of powder.  It only took 15 grains of Fg to get it to the stake.  The first shot was 60 grains and it over shot the stake by around 150 yards.  

I did get one good shot at 17”.  It bounced and hit the stake then stopped.  If only I could have done that for every shot.  The total of the 5 best is 76’4”.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 05:49:13 AM »
Looks good! Very nice!

You need to go back in to your post by clicking on the edit button and tell us how you used the material we supplied.

Kind of an eye opener about how much or rather how little powder you need isn't it?

...and you passed the Blaster Bob powder can test.  We may tease him a bit about that, but it is a good idea as it puts things in perspective.

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 10:25:35 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures of everything painted.  The second one is a little blurry but you get the idea.

Offline uz2busmc

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 10:49:37 AM »
Nice work man!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 01:47:33 PM »
CU_Cannon -

Good show dude!

As much as I like natural oak the OD is OK!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 07:09:04 PM »
Great Work!!! You should be proud of the job you did!
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"