Author Topic: 180 gr. Woodleigh or Partition for elk?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
180 gr. Woodleigh or Partition for elk?
« on: September 03, 2005, 07:05:09 AM »
Which would you choose and why? I am trying to decide which to take elk hunting this year.  Rifle will be either a 30-06 or a 300 Winchester magnum.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 09:50:46 AM »
I would use Barnes myself.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 10:09:58 AM »
Nosler PT is still the standard to which others are compared. The Woodleigh is an excellent bullet but harder to come by and more expensive. You never go wrong chosing the PT. I've tried the Barnes in a lot of guns and so far have never found a load accurate enough to take hunting. Gave up on them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 02:01:11 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Nosler PT is still the standard to which others are compared. The Woodleigh is an excellent bullet but harder to come by and more expensive. You never go wrong chosing the PT. I've tried the Barnes in a lot of guns and so far have never found a load accurate enough to take hunting. Gave up on them.

Wow  :?  is all I can say. I have found the Barnes bullets extremely accurate in my guns. I use them in my 243, 300 WM, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 44 Mag, 454 Casull and 500Mag. I even use them in my 45 Cal Muzzleloader. Accuracy and performance is great.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickt300

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »
The only Barnes bullet I have used was a 225 grain 338 bulllet. I got good accuracy but zero expansion on the only elk I used it on. As to Nosler partitions I got great accuracy but poor performance from my 6MM Reminhgton and very poor accuracy from the 200 grain Partition in my very accurate 300 Win Mag. Now if I can get good accuracy and performance from the Woodleigh bullets and don't have to waste much cash on testing I will come out ahead even if the bullets cost more.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 01:51:22 AM »
Quote from: rickt300
The only Barnes bullet I have used was a 225 grain 338 bulllet. I got good accuracy but zero expansion on the only elk I used it on. As to Nosler partitions I got great accuracy but poor performance from my 6MM Reminhgton and very poor accuracy from the 200 grain Partition in my very accurate 300 Win Mag. Now if I can get good accuracy and performance from the Woodleigh bullets and don't have to waste much cash on testing I will come out ahead even if the bullets cost more.

Did you recover the bullet and see there was not expansion? I just took a Water Buffalo with my 416 Rigby using a 300 gr. Barnes X and recovered the bullet in the exit side of the hide, and it was a perfect mushroom. The exit whole in the shoulder did not look real big but both shoulder's on the buffalo were destroyed.

Personally I get poor accuracy with Nosler Partitions. I tried to work up a load for my 300 Win Mag and my bullets were all over. I will stick with Barnes X and Barnes bullets for all my hunting.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline rickt300

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 06:39:27 AM »
The 225 grain barnes was an early version and sung thru with what appeared to be little destruction. The elk was recovered though it had to be shot again and the hunt turned into an Olympic event. I alsohad a similar event with the same rifle and a250 grain Sierra boat tail.

Offline crow_feather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 07:00:03 AM »
rickt300,

As GB said, accuracy is more important than the bullet design of these two bullets.  If you shoot an elk with either one and hit it where you are supposed to, there is no difference, the elk will be dead.

An elk might drop faster with one bullet over the other, but not so your going to notice.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 03:21:38 PM »
Graybeard,

I've tried the Barnes in a lot of guns and so far have never found a load accurate enough to take hunting. Gave up on them.

You really need to forget about your experiences with the old X bullets(even the XLC's) and give the newer TSX bullets a try.  You won't have any of the problems you had with the X bullets.  The old X's could and were very finicky about seating depth.  Some could get them to shoot very well and others couldn't get them to shoot at all.  Not so with the TSX.  Accuracy is the best I gotten from any hunting bullet and they out penetrate heavier weight bullets in the same caliber.  Thus you end up with a flatter shooting load.  I am loading the new 165 gr. .308 caliber TSX’s in all my .30 caliber rifles, standard or magnums.  They out penetrate the 180 gr. Nosler Partition and give better accuracy.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 06:45:28 AM »
Well after years of shooting Speer Hotcor bullets and Hornady interlocs I have decided as I am not getting any younger to order some of each and see how they perform. Not that I ever had any problem with the old standby's. Going to pass on the TSX bullets this year though.