Author Topic: New buffalo classic rifle  (Read 878 times)

Offline Saujäger

• Trade Count: (0)
New buffalo classic rifle
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:13:42 PM »
Hi from Germany, :D

I just got my hands on a new buffalo classic rifle in 45/70 Gov., by the way the first one I've ever seen here in Germany.
Now I would just like to ask you some questions:
What' the pressure level for that rifle, will it hold the full power loads I developed for my Ruger No.1 or is it better to stay in the Marlin range? I suppose that the action is stronger than a Trapdoor or something like that.
Will a Handi-Rifle buttstock match the buffalo classic system, just in case I might like to mount a scope?
Should I stay with grooved and lubed lead-bullets or rather work with paperpatched slugs?

Thanks for your advice.
Happy hunting !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 08:36:19 PM »
Welcome aboard!! Glad to have you here!!! The BC will shoot just about anything you want to use in it, lots of folks shoot cast bullets in them, both plain base and gas checked, also jacketed bullets, but I don't recollect anyone shooting paper patched bullets...... yet.  :grin:

The current built H&R/ NEF rifles built 1999 and later are rated for levergun loads and a bit more, several of us are shooting loads that are rated at the low Ruger #1 levels, but most shooters choose not to, they have some serious recoil which you well know if you've shot the Ruger 45-70 with full house loads.

All of the H&R/NEF stocks will fit the BC, the frame is the same SB2 frame that's used on the Handis and Ultras, just case colored.

Hope to see you around alot, and again, welcome to GBO!! :wink:

Here's my BC with scope and a Topper Deluxe walnut stock...

and a 38-55 Target that's been rechambered and rebored to 405 Winchester and gray laminated stock added...

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 03:53:26 AM »
Welcome! I spent 3 years in Germany in the early 60's (1961-1964) at Goeppington ( don't remember how to spell it, been too long) Beautiful country and friendly people (in the small towns!)

Offline TomP

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 06:44:16 AM »
You'll really enjoy your Buffalo Classic!  I shoot 520 gr soft lead bullets in mine with smokeless powder and have gotten 3 shot groups at 100 yards under one inch.  Its the most accurate rifle for the money I've ever owned.

Quickdtoo, I like the looks of your BC with the Topper stock.  I'm thinking I should do the same.  Did you order the stock from HR?  Any trouble fitting it?

Tom P.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 08:18:46 AM »
Can`t help you on the 45/70 Gov`t  but did do some deer( Rhe-Buck)
  and Boar and Hursh(spl?) hunting while i was there, 49-51.  As someone else said, small town folks were very nice. Plus, the beer was great too.
 Welcome to the forum.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 08:39:46 AM »
Saujäger oder Schwartzwild-jäger.
Du bist der Erste der sich hier von Deutschland angemeldet hat. Die 45-70
Patrone hat  großen Anhang bei Großwildjagd auf kurze Entfernung. Ich selber bin an das Kaliber nicht intressiert, weil ich kein solches Wild jage.

Meine Patronen sind mehr rasant und mit verminderten Rückstoß, meine arme Schulder könnte den heftigen Rückstoß mit schwere Geschosse nicht ertragen. Alles Gute von Canada.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 09:15:48 AM »
Fred said...or sort of.... :grin:

You are first from Germany announced yourself here. ... has the 45-70 cartridge with on short distance. I am not interested to the caliber, because I do not hunt such game. My cartridges are more rapid and with decreased.... my poor Shoulder did not like the violent recoil of the heavy projectiles....

Fred, please translate...

Thanks!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 10:36:13 AM »
Quick

You are close enough.

The word Saujäger means  pig hunter and is not used much in the German language. The word is sort of derogatory. The game hunted is called Schwartzwild (Black game)
meaning wild pigs or hogs as we call them.

I said he was the first one from Germany that registered with this forum.
The 45-70 has much following for big game hunting at closer ranges.
Myself I am not interested in the cartridge since I don't hunt big game.

I use more flat shooting cartridges with less recoil, my poor shoulder would complain by the strong recoil of the 45-70 with heavy bullets.

That is it. I thought the guy may get a kick out of it getting a reply in German. My German is pretty rusty as it is.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 11:18:36 AM »
I'm sure he'll get a kick out of your reply, I did....thanks!! :wink:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 12:43:28 PM »
Quote from: TomP

Quickdtoo, I like the looks of your BC with the Topper stock.  I'm thinking I should do the same.  Did you order the stock from HR?  Any trouble fitting it?

Tom P.

It bolts on just like the other H&R stocks which are all one-size-fits-all. :wink:  Got it from Brownell's along with a checkered forend which I didn't use....yet.  It is a youth stock, though. I left the recoil pad on and installed the Galco pad over it, length of pull is within ¼" of standard Handi length that way.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7054&title=BUTT+STOCK%2c+TOPPER+CLASSIC%2c+YOUTH%2c+CHECKERED+WALNUT

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 12:52:31 PM »
Cool someone else knows german. :eek:  :wink:  I have taken German 1,2,3 and will be taking 4 next semester. I'm not fluent but i could read your post Fred. i pretty much got the meaning of it. I really like the german language.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Saujäger

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 04:01:30 AM »
Thank You guys for the warm welcome and the requested information, it'll help me a lot.
I was really amazed to get so much attention, even stunned to get some german replys.
Here some words to further explanation of my nick, Fred M was right , on one side the term "Saujäger" is quite derogatory, meaning something like f...hunter. On the other hand, the game we are hunting is also called " Sauen" = wild pigs or " Sau " =  wild pig, contrary to domestic pigs witch are called " Schweine " or " Schwein ". So you can see, there is nothing wrong with my nick it describes only my favorite hunt.
As it goes for the buffalo classic, I actually don' think I'll use it for hunting, I'll rather fool around at the range with it. perhaps i can even try some long-range shooting with it. As soon as I get the first impressions and results, I'll let you know.
For hunting I've finally settled with a Valmet 512 S double rifle, in 5,6x50 R Mag. and 9,3x74 R calibers. This is what we call a "Bergstutzen", a combination rifle with a small bore and a big bore barrel.
I think this is a rifle that can handle almost every game on this world and it shoots like a dream.
Thanks again for today.
Happy hunting !

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 12:11:09 PM »
:D howdy from texas.I spent 9 years in germany (FRG) and loved it.
lots of time in the field at graf and man there are plenty of hogs there :grin: .
enjoy your rifle.
pete

Offline Saujäger

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 06:58:36 AM »
Hi from Germany again,

today I made it to the range with my new BC and some ammo I had loaded for my 1895 marlin.
The grouping was quite good, ca. 1.5" at 50 Meters, but the groups where almost two feet high with the Williams sight set at its lowest position.
Seems, my Lyman No.17 Sight is too low (. 404).
But no problem, I'll be in the US the next three weeks, so I can do some shopping, for a higher sight, some Williams foresight beads and maybe a scopemount, all the stuff that's hard to find over here.
Does anybody have a suggestion about the suitable highth for the front sight?
Happy hunting !

Offline lonewolf5347

• Avid Poster
I RAN ACROSS THIS POST FROM QUICK
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 09:04:52 AM »
The front sight is a .584" Lyman 17A, I had to change to a .404" tall to get on at 100yds, have since dumped the WGRS for the FP target sight...

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1727.htm

I also added a Lee Shaver sight insert set which made a big difference for my old eyes...

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,49.htm

QUICK: HAS THIS POST I CAME ACROSS YESTERDAY