Author Topic: joined the club today 25-06 and some questions  (Read 612 times)

Offline txpete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
joined the club today 25-06 and some questions
« on: September 08, 2005, 07:21:43 AM »
just ordered but some dies brass bullets.so if any of y'all got a load worked up let me know.I picked this one up today NIB for $200.00 with a box of win silver tip ammo thrown in.don't know squat about these rifles :shock:
pete

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
joined the club today 25-06 and some questi
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:29:02 AM »
Congratz on the purchace a new gun is always a fun day. I'll be the first to say read the FAQ's, there is lots of stuff in there and don't get too overwlmed by the various mods.  Here is what I would do first

1. Clean it (as per sticky)
2. Remove and reinstall with locktite the scope mount (it may have come like that from the factory but you never know)
3. Lap the barrel (as per sticky)  bascically a pre break in.
4. Mount the scope
5. If the budget allows buy a couple more boxes of ammo of various types
6. Go shooting have fun

Things to watch out for

Although it seem to be recently under debate when you shoot off a benchrest rest the gun close to the hindge pin. But it may shoot well off of the forend as well depends on the guns personality.

Chances are you gun is still an spring driven ejector you may experience a stuck case or two, take a cleaning rod along, they are not really stuck, the ejector just was not strong enough to pop it out.  If this happens and there is a good chance that it will you will need to do a chamber polish (or you left crud in there after cleaning make sure the chamber is dry) (see sticky) lots of guys do it as a matter of course before shooting the first round. I like to leave a stock as possible for the first go then do mods after but that is just me.

Some new guns can pop open on firing it can be un nerving to a new guy and is in general a PIA. Before you shoot make sure the shelf on the barrel and the locking pin are clean and degreased. This could go away with "break-in" or you may need to tweak, and on occasion send it back ( cs at NEF is pretty good)

Grouping wise it is hard to say 1 to 1.5" is pretty normal but better is very possible, depends on how much you like to tincker and a little luck.  

Just in case you don't now  nef's web address www.hr1871.com

Have fun
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:43:28 AM »
Yup, what Aulrich said!! Be sure to use the search feature, there are lots of threads on the 25-06, there's bound to be info in there that will help you out and give you an idea of what to expect. Read the trigger sticky, too, a good trigger is real important if you want a good shooter, some of em have pretty heavy triggers out of the box. Also note that the transfer bar safety mechanism in these hammer guns require a full pull to the rear at the break, don't release it as normal at the break.

I think you'll find that the 115gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip ammo will shoot well, it has a good reputation here as does the Federal 115gr NP and Hornady 117gr BTSP, the latter 2 shoot sub moa in mine with the first 2 rounds touching at 100yds.

Have fun, ask questions and shoot safe!!

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=69551
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 10:08:50 AM »
wow thanks :D  for the great info.not new to rifles but just these.already have had the reload books out and dies brass bullets should be here on tues.
the 25-06 should be plenty on these tx whitetails.going to put on a sightron S1  scope on her tonight.after I read all the stickies and FAQ.
fwiw, my folks used to live in lethbridge just south of you.brrrrrrr
pete

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 11:30:44 AM »
Brr  lethbridge!  na  lethbridge is warm, I gerw-up in Winnipeg now thats cold. The last I heard was the record is 45 days no warmer than -35c. As a foolish youth once we played hockey with wind chill it was -80 it was hard to play looking through the slit of a scarfed head and the skate would hardly slide. And I wouldn't tell you how I almost froze my a$$  to a grain bin fox hunting :eek:

Have fun :D
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 11:51:24 AM »
:-) I left.. joined the american army(with a green card) and never looked back.I have family from montreal to chilliwack.if anyone asks I am a texan :-) .never played much hockey but have a mean right hook.

took the 25-06 cleaned everything, jup funky nasty ect.hit the bore and chamber with JB and got the scope mounted and lock-tite on all the screws.
y'all are great and thanks and the stickies/faq are the best.
pete

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 12:04:56 PM »
Hope you got a shooter. Sounds like you got a deal. Be sure to give us a range report on it.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 05:29:48 PM »
:D Last week I was going to use my Ultra 25-06 for firewood and a boat anchor. Really, Really bad day at the range. It was not the gun it was my ole backside. Today it shot lights out using Core-Lokt 100gr. The standard stock doesn't fit me worth a hoot but I locked in and it was ok. Friday I am going to order the Varmint stock by Choate. Take your time lock it in and you'll have a shooter. Now I'm going to give a Speed Goat are very hard time next Saturday. Enjoy!

Jess :D
Jess

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 10:57:56 AM »
hope to make it to the range this weekend :-) .
my handi 25-06 sightron scope.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 11:50:28 AM »
Personally I only shoot handloads in my firearms. But I have seen really good groups from Winchesters 120 gr Power point ammo.

My 25/06 Ultra is yet to be wrung out for its favorite load. My bad.... :o

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 12:23:50 PM »
I have loaded up some 100 gr rem corelocks with IMR4350 and 4064.
next order I'll try some 120 gr sierra's.
pete