Author Topic: Win Mod 770  (Read 906 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Win Mod 770
« on: September 09, 2005, 02:38:58 AM »
Hello everyone.  I usually post over at the NEF forums, but I have a questions that I hope is right up your alley.

I recently came across a Win Mod 770 bolt action in .30-06 of which I am unfamiliar with. I know of the 670 and obviously, the mod 70, but never seen a 770.  The gun was in exellent condition and the stock finish appeared to be an oil type, not satin or a Rem style high gloss.  The wood looked like walnut and had a nice grain.  The metal was blue, but not a deep blue, yet it wasn't a brushed finish either.  I have been unable to find out very much info about it.  

The asking price was $285.00.  

I liked it and am considering buying it.  The price doesn't seem to bad, as far as decent used centerfire rifle's go, in my area.  But, I want to make sure that it isn't considered junk.

Any info anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks

EVOC ONE

Offline CowboyEngr

• Trade Count: (0)
Win Mod 770
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »
What caliber is it?  I'm going from memory here, so I may be entirely wrong, but I was thinking the mdl 770 was a twist on an economy Mdl. 70 similar to the 670.  Maybe in a short action variety??

Offline CowboyEngr

Win Mod 770
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:49:18 AM »
I just re-read your post and now see that you said it was 30-06, so that blows my theory.  I turned 50 a few months ago, so my memory is slipping. :?

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Win Mod 770
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 03:24:47 PM »
CowbayEngr:  Thank's for the reply.  I'm not far behind you regarding age, so I completely understand.  LOL's

I wondered if it was similar to the 670 as a less expensive version of the Mod 70, but what little info I've been able to find, indicates both were made during the same time period, although the 670 was made for a longer time period.

Thanks again.

EVOC ONE

Offline ridgerunner835

Win Mod 770
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 03:45:03 AM »
EVOC ONE- i made a trade at a gun show for a mdl770 a few years back,mines a .243,i dont know to much about them either(i had actually never heard of one before)i asked at another forum about  it and somebody told me also it was just an economy version of the mdl70,the same action and trigger,but just a little different wood....?(it looks nice to me).i put a bushnell scope on mine and it turned out to be a pretty decent shooter.i always wondered what the price on one would be,i still have mine.

Offline billy

• Contributor
m 770
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:41:51 PM »
The gun traders guide shows it was made from 69-71 with a 22 inch barrel in these calibers 22-250,222rem,243,270,30-06.Hope this will help out some.
I enjoy collecting guns, swaping and staying up on all the newest models. I deer, quail, squirrel and rabbit hunt.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Win Mod 770
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 06:32:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies, fella's.  I've not found out much more about the 770 either.  Everyone I've spoken to says its just a less expensive version of the Mod 70.  I think we've confirmed that.  It just seems odd that Winchester would offer two bargin rifles that are virtually identical during the same time period.  

By the way, yesterday I saw a 670 at Cabelo's in PA.  They were asking $495 and it was well used.  

Thanks again.

EVOC ONE