Author Topic: Simmons Master Series - Not good news!  (Read 656 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Simmons Master Series - Not good news!
« on: September 09, 2005, 03:39:40 PM »
Earlier today I commented on another post that I recently purchased a new 8-point Simmons Master Series scope and mounted it on a .280 Handi.  

Well ...  this afternoon I skipped out of work early and went to the range.

While attempting to zero the .280 for 200yds, the 8-point became blurry.  The only way I could see somewhat clear was to adjust it up to 9X.  At any magnifaction below 9X, the target was blurry and a bit hazy.  The outside edge of the lens was brighter but appeared as though I was looking through the bottom of a Coke bottle.

I was shooting Rem SP 150's.

I also had the .223 Ultra out with the Simmons ATV and I'm happy to report that both the gun and scope are doing just fine.

EVOC ONE

Offline pagris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 07:25:23 AM »
EVOC ONE:  Sorry to hear about your experience with the Simmons Master Series 8-Point.  I know that some forum members, like myself, have been waiting for some field reports on this new line of scopes. I am very pleased with my older Whitetail Expedition models.

For some reason, the Simmons website is not showing a Master Series 8-Point.  Perhaps Simmons has made that model just for certain retailers? (just guessing, here).  I know that others have reported recently purchasing a Master Series 8-Point.

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/Riflescopes.htm

What have you decided to do about yours?
Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the great outdoors.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 02:13:44 PM »
I read somewhere that the 8 point is being phased out.  They want the Blazer line to be at the bottom.  If memory serves me right, I think the 8-point is unchanged as far as the glass is concerned and the overall construction of the scope.  I think these are being phased out by Walmart.  That is why you only see the Blazers on the website.  I think the only thing that changed was the adjustment system and the name.  What happened to the 44 Mag?  That was a good entry level scope, I can't believe they would get rid of it. Who knows how Simmons will turn out?  I think we all get suckered sometimes into thinking good optics for less.  Heck, I got suckered into a BSA's crock of dung.  I sold it Saturday to a kid for $3 at the yardsale.  I almost hated to take that much for it.
Good Luck and Good Hunting

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:56:56 PM »
After reading comments from others about the lower end scopes I didn't consider the 8 point.  But, a buddy bought a package deal Savage in .30-06 that came with the old 8 point and has had very good service with it.  I have a .44 Mag and a ATV and am pleased with both.

When the Master Series arrived and was promoted as being better I thought, "What the heck?"  The one I bought came in the new Master Series package and was from Wal Mart.  

I returned it to Wal Mart and began explaining to the service desk clerk why I was returning it.  She was not the least bit interested in my explanation and quickly accepted it with a full refund.  Woo Hoo!

Thanks,

EVOC ONE