Author Topic: Whitetail vs 7mm Super Bower  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Ravenwolf

• Trade Count: (0)
Whitetail vs 7mm Super Bower
« on: December 01, 2002, 06:19:00 AM »
:D   Just gotta brag a little.  Got lucky enough, this year, to take two Whitetails with my 7mm SB.  Used Hornady's 139 gr SPs this year and they worked great.  My first deer was a 170# 8 Point buck shot at 85 yards.  Because of the severe quartering away angle I placed the bullet behind the rib cage and it penetrated 20" of deer before lodging in the front part of the lower shoulder bone.  The bullet expanded greatly, weighing 87 grains (you could see a couple of the expanded petals had broken off), and took out the top of the heart and made a mess off the lungs.  Now I wanted a longer shot to see how it would perform.  

I got an opportunity Thanksgiving morning on a doe (about 100#) at 200 yards.  She was walking across a field and offered me a broadside shot.  I turned the Burris 3X9 up to 6 power, found her in the scope an let it go. She dropped on the spot.  The Hornady exited this time, after taking out the lungs and the main artery on the top of the heart.  The exit hole was about an inch and a quarter.  Needless to say I like this bullet.

Well the buck is in the freezer, the doe found her way to the Hunters for the Hungry donation program and I still have three doe tags to fill.  Going to try my SBH 44 with 270 gr Speer GDs, but you can bet the 7mm Super Bower is going along just in case....Good Hunting....RW :wink:
shoot straight, shoot often, shoot safe

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 07:09:51 AM »
:shock: If i dont eat it,i dont kill it..all we are doing is promoting the expansion of the population of people that cant help themselves,and they will continue to make more of them...so it ends up being a never ending circle.....those that are genetically predisposed to making poor life decisions will continue to do so :twisted:
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline Ravenwolf

I don't agree
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 03:08:04 AM »
:(  King I just don't agree with you on that.  I'm a volunteer fireman and I've just seen to many things happen to people that are beyond their control.  I'm sure there is a great many people out there that made bad life decisions but I'll still do my part to help.  I hope they enjoy that donated venison....and if my luck holds I'll be donating more.  Good hunting....RW

Offline Ravenwolf

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 02:56:56 PM »
:grin: LK, I'm using a rechambered 14" T/C Contender barrel that was originally a 7-30 Waters.  The load I'm using is AA2520, CCI Large Rifle Primer and the Hornady 139 gr SP.  This load is moving out at just over 2400 fps.  Recoil is light (at least compared to my 358 JDJ) and it is slowly becoming my favorite barrel for the Contender.  I really like the Burris 3X9 and would love to try the 3X12 for woodchucks.  Good Hunting...RW