Author Topic: Am I doin' this right?  (Read 745 times)

Offline 107ch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Am I doin' this right?
« on: February 27, 2003, 03:36:25 AM »
Hi,
I have an RCBS lube sizer and I am lubing some PRS bullets with black powder lube (very sticky). The bullets are coming out with quite a bit of lube on the bottom (base). Do I have the depth too deep or shallow or too much pressure for the lube or what?? Or is this normal?  This is my first experience trying to use this machine. Any help would be appreciated.
Dennis
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve, nor will he ever receive either"
              Benjamin Franklin

Offline John Traveler

Am I doin' this right?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 06:17:58 AM »
Adjusting the depth of your sizing die or how deep the top punch presses the bullet into the sizing die, will minimize that base lube bleeding.

On the other hand, soft, sticky, runny lubes tend to bleed more no matter what you do!  I always make it a habit to tack a rough cloth on the benchtop, and wipe each bullet base before stacking the finished lubed bullets in a box.

HTH
John Traveler

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Am I doin' this right?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 01:31:30 PM »
like he said live with it and wipe off your bullets or buy a star sizer and you wont have that problem
blue lives matter

Offline hubbard

Am I doin' this right?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 01:32:03 AM »
keep some pressure on the top punch when you turn the lube handle. soft lubes don't require  much of a turn to force lube into the grooves.

Offline 107ch

• Avid Poster
Am I doin' this right?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 02:17:45 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I got it working pretty good now.
Dennis
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve, nor will he ever receive either"
              Benjamin Franklin