Author Topic: Leupold Quality???  (Read 512 times)

Offline Rockin Double B

• Trade Count: (12)
Leupold Quality???
« on: September 15, 2005, 01:46:58 PM »
I've come to rely on Leupold quality and durability but recently I spoke with a long time and well respected custom gun maker/retailer/Safari Hunter who claims that Leupolds quality has suffered recently because of a change in manufacturing location and staff.  Could this be so!?  Has anybody else encountered problems or heard of this notion??????

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Leupold Quality???
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 04:35:51 PM »
The limited experience I have had with Leupold is only the Rifleman series.  The one I owned was on a used Savage I bought.  For the money they ask for the lowest scope in their offerings, I thougt it was over priced.  The Simmons Aetec I had at the time beat it hands down.  I think the Rifleman series was only fully coated but I may be wrong.  I think Leupold's prices reflect the expense of having assembly done in the US.  I think Leupold started outsourcing some of their parts(glass).  It is a fact of life for most companies.  Heck, I use to work in a textile mill and we could make any style of denim material for $2 a yard.  The South Americans could do it for .78 and the quality was only slightly less. The average cusumer could not tell the difference. Wrangler jeans at one time used to advertise MADE IN AMERICA.  Now, no Wrangler jeans are made here anymore.  Optic companies like Leupold and Burris won't be made here much longer if the unfair trade practices with China continue.