Author Topic: Adventures in handgonning...  (Read 532 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Adventures in handgonning...
« on: September 17, 2005, 01:00:22 PM »
Through some horse tradin' (no actual horses were involved) I was lucky enough to aquire this gonne from Powder Keg.

The gonne is made from 1018 steel. It's .50 caliber and the bore is 7" deep.

The machine work is first rate. The unique "wasp-waist" ahead of the tiller socket and milled "priming pan" around the vent being its two most distinctive features.  

Before testing, I fire-blued the gonne. This finish held up well but wasn't perfect and needs to be redone now anyway (more later).

The tiller is a 48" poplar dowel 1" in diameter. Since the diameter had to be reduced to fit the socket, I decided to dress it up a bit with some copper I had. A 6" long ¾" repair tube was a near-perfect match to the diameter of the dowel, so I cut a second step behind the socket and slid the copper tube onto the tiller. The gonne butts against the copper tube. The other end is fitted with a matching ¾" copper cap. The tiller was given a light stain (Olympic Golden Oak) and finished with two coats of low gloss tung oil.

Test firing the gonne was a hoot! I have never fired a weapon of this sort before.

I started off light, 50 grains of FFg behind my own cast .490 balls. I gradually progressed to a max of 90 grains, which was the load I was shooting in my new .50 CVA rifle that was also getting its first taste of powder that afternoon. Surprisingly, the rifle kicked hard against my shoulder while the gonne had little felt recoil.

I shot each load both patched and unpatched, with no noticeable difference in recoil or report between the two. I did have a couple of embarrassing "roll outs" early on with the unpatched balls. This was mainly because of the layout of the range, the closer target stands are just slightly below zero elevation. If I was careful, I was able to level the gonne toward the target without depressing the muzzle enough to let the ball roll, and as powder fouling built up this was not so much of an issue.

I shot using my linstock with and without fuse. Using a priming charge was fun but most of the shots were fired with fuse because not matter how careful I was, I would get some spilled powder on the range floor from the priming pan.

The gonne digested everything I stuffed down the tube. After the gonne was clean and cool I checked the diameter with a micrometer. Comparing this against the measurements I took before the range session showed no deformation. No difference in dimensions at all. That came as no surprise, this is one beefy chunk of steel and I did not expect that the loads I used would come close to stressing it. But in the interest of scientific evaluation, and ultimately safety, the measurements were necessary.

I had a great time, and lost track of the number of balls I shot (I cast a sackful). The audience went from a disdainful "What the hell is THAT thing?" to an enthusiastic "C'mon, shoot it again!"

Accuracy? Well, it's about as accurate as pointing a stick can be. Nuff said...

My only compliant was that the bore was not as smooth as I would have liked. Not that bad, but a little difficult to load after several shots. Wes acknowledged this and said he now reams the bores after drilling for this very reason (mine was not reamed). A few passes with a ½" ball hone and the interior of the bore is now slick as a baby's bum. I also finally got around to drilling the screw hole in the tiller socket. This was not an oversight, I requested that Wes leave it for me to drill later. Hence the need for a refinish.

http://www.fototime.com./582E4062D202593/orig.jpg">
http://www.fototime.com./C839D32CBEB2802/orig.jpg">
http://www.fototime.com./56BF2FD8FF3AF45/orig.jpg">
http://www.fototime.com./963671D6CC23972/orig.jpg">

This was a great experience (despite a few embarrassing rookie moments) and I have had a lot of fun with this new addition to my arsenal.

Wes is a fine machinist and a damned nice guy. I can highly recommend his services.

Offline uz2busmc

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:04:20 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun, not much into the gonnes myself, but after seeing yours.....

Very nice

Offline pyro_tek

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 03:54:28 PM »
Thanks for posting such a full description of your new gonne experience. How do you stabilize the gonne for firing. Being fond of all my extremities I have always been behind a barrier or at a safe distance when firing cannon. The historical drawings I've seen usually show "gonners" holding the tiller with some fine-tuning their aim with a hand on the metal.
If you can, post some live fire pics.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 05:39:01 PM »
Quote from: pyro_tek
How do you stabilize the gonne for firing.

I held on tight!  :eek:

Actually, there was surprisingly little recoil. This is a big chunk of steel for its bore size. The CVA Bobcat .50 caliber sidelock had more perceived recoil with the same loading, despite weighing about two pounds more. This was probably due to the longer barrel and much tighter bullet/bore fit.

Of course, I was wearing safety glasses and muffs, just like I would when firing any other hand-held projectile weapon.

I also used a long tiller so I could get the gonne well out in front of me. But after a few shots, it became apparent that the piece wasn't going to disintegrate, so I held it in a more normal (if there is such a thing as 'normal' in this case) fashion.

If you can, post some live fire pics.

When I can get a helper to shoot the photos while I shoot the gonne.