Author Topic: seriously considering....  (Read 529 times)

Offline bill m.

• Trade Count: (0)
seriously considering....
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:57:51 AM »
Hi all.
I am new to this forum because I  am considering getting in to an NEF.
I've been cruising the forums and a little excited about what I've been reading. But I am interested in asking some questions that will help with my decision.
My rifle experience has been with a Marlin M94 in 44 mag and a beautiful M96 Swede. I don't presently hunt but do alot of target shooting from 100 to 700 yards.  I am a reloader entirely.
So I am thinking that I would probably be setting up with the 22-250, 308, and 45-70. probably this wouldn't all happen at the same time. I would probably do the 45-70 last in hopes that the 450 will be chambered by then.
I like that all of this can be done without breaking the bank.
I am curious to know how the NEF compares to the Ruger #1. Will it take the same loads in regard to power? For someone who is not a professional target shooter but does expect accuracy, how will these rifles do?
I read somewhere that a major problem with these rifles is there inability to eject the spent cartridge. Have any of you had this problem and is there an answer for it?
I could probably think of some more things to ask. But I really want to here from you about your experience with NEF; good and bad.
Thanks...

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 05:12:30 AM »
Hi Bill and welcome!

The Ruger #1 is stronger than the NEF, but the NEF is plenty strong enough for the 22-250 and 308 Win.  Some here are shooting full power loads in their 45-70 NEFs but it remains to be seen how much of this the NEF frame can take before it starts to loosen up.  Presently the NEF 45-70 is not allowed in formal BPCR matches; it IS legal for the Quigley.

I have no experience with the other two calibers you mention but I have several H & R and NEF rifles from 22 hornet to 45-70 and have yet to encounter one that will not shoot accurately.

I really like my Hornet.  You may want to re-think the 22-250 for a Hornet or a 223 for causal plinking/target shooting.

Offline lonewolf5347

• Avid Poster
H@R
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 05:14:41 AM »
I have the handi in 06 and did run into the problem with stuck cases ,seem to sorrect the problem was to stay away from max: loads.I load IMR 45.0 rains of 3031 ,this load did show signs of ejection problem or stuck case.I drop the charge by.5 to 44.5 and the problem is gone.
I just ordered a 45-70 BC but to reload in blackpowder instead of smokeless
I read load should be no higher then for the marlin lever action,and not compared to the Ruger.
I have to say with the 06 my group is a little under 7/8 "  3 shots at the 100 yard target
 :D  :-D  :)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 06:06:12 AM »
In 22-250, be sure to check out the Fluted Varmit rifle.....I have 2 , one in 223 and the other 204....very , very accurate. I bought the Bull Barrell 22-250 and put the Choate Varmit stock on it too, it's a tack driver also.Put the same stocks on my 45-70 and 308 Survivor, really tamed the recoil and very accurate too. I believe the Choate fore end really helps Handi's shoot better.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 06:35:34 AM »
Bill:
Welcome to GBO.
Some of your questions that have not been addressed:
Accuracy: What kind of accuracy are you looking for? While not bench rest rifles, some are very accurate. Some just need more tinkering then others.

Case sticking: It is true that this issue has shown up from time to time. I feel the problem is more likely to show in cases that operate near the higher end of the pressure curve, and in calibers with minimum taper (which also happens to be rimless cases). Do a search on stuck cases and you can get a feeling for what you might run into. Most of these issues can be worked out with the considerable experience and helpful folks on this forum. I've experience problems in 223, 243 and 308.

450 Marlin: Has already been chambered. Several members have them. I had one. I think if you try the 45-70, you will be very happy. Being a handloader, you can have everything the 450 can offer you.

I'm sure others can provide more input.

Wally

PS: Did you graduate from MHS? Class of 1964.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Welcome
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 07:24:34 AM »
Welcome Bill M. to GBO forums :D
 Come often, stay late, World of info here.
 Bunch of good ol' boys that will help you out.
 Marv.

Offline bill m.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 07:44:18 AM »
Thanks all!
Many people in my area look upon them as cheap guns. Most say, "You can do better." I like the ability to swap barrels. I also have never been in a situation that made me feel like I needed a clip full of ammo.
I target out to 700 yards for fun. I expect to be able to hit at 600 most every shot on a target the size of a 5 gallon propane cylinder.
I can do that with ease when using my Swede.
When I go out shooting, I usually bring at least 3 rifles and 2 handguns. It would be nice to work out of one case and to be able to do some quality shooting.
Thanks again!

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 07:52:29 AM »
Welcome aboard! Pull up a chair and kick up your feet.

Since most of your questions have been answered i'll just put in my input on your caliber choices.

The 22-250 would be great. I have one in standard contour. I haven't got to the range with it yet but i think it will be a shooter with the loads i worked up. The 308 sounds like a good one. I can't really tell you much about it since i don't have one. And the 45-70....i think you will be very impressed with it. There are alot of 45-70 shooters here.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 06:55:49 PM »
Welcome :D

I am curious to know how the NEF compares to the Ruger #1. Will it take the same loads in regard to power? For someone who is not a professional target shooter but does expect accuracy, how will these rifles do?

Well it's not a Ruger...but it cost $9000.00 http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97money.html

The accuracy isn't indicative to all Handi's that are owned by our forum members here...myself included.. some do much much better...http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=62494&highlight=3006+ultra+comp

While not all of our Handi's shoot as accurately as this one of mine...it would do our fellow Handi-holics a grave diservice if I said they didn't have the potintial to be just as accurate....because they do...as with anything...you get out of it...what you put into it...

True...our rifles don't have the inherent strenght as a falling block rifle..but as a whole from those I've owned of both types...our Handi's can and do shoot circles around them for roughly 1/2 the cost retail.

They can be loaded up to very warm levels of power and depending on how much time and effort you put into your reloading technique,bench rest shooting technique,and tuning your rifle for optimum performance,will determine how successfull you will be on those distant targets.These rifles can shoot...and each one to one degree or another...shoots a little differently.Some shoot great anywhere on the forearm..others only shoot good off the reciever area....some do well off bi-pods...others don't...you'll have to see which group yours will fit into.Another area that matters is how you pull the trigger...it isn't like any bolt gun or Ruger...on these rifles...you must pull all the way thru...if you don't do this everytime...the least will be inconsistancy...at worse..your groups will open...sometimes dramaticlly...

Most of your other questions have been covered here...as it has been suggested...use the FAQ sticky...and use the search feature...both will save you a-lot of valuable money and time...

Have a Great 1

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 04:34:23 AM »
To give you some examples on what these inexpensive rifles can do:

My 22" 45-70 with factory Winchester 300gr JHP will cut the same hole 2.5" high @ 50yds, open sites.  

My 22" .22 Hornet will group less then 1" at 100yds, 40gr assortment of make slugs,  3-9x44 scope.

My stepson's .30-30 @ 50yds will produce 1/2-1" groups, @ 100yds 1 1/2 to 2" groups, with open sites.  factory 150gr roundnose.

My 20ga slugster barrel will produce 2-3" groups @ 50yards.

Some people can probably group better, but for our local hunting needs the grouping shown above will more then suffice.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 05:34:44 AM »
one thing about swapping barrels, is that the monte carlo stock for a scoped barrel is not acceptable for a open sight rifle (if you were considering that for the 45-70)  The straight stock required for open sights does not give adequate cheek support for a high mounted scope that the NEF requires.  

But, dont worry, along with additional low cost barrels you can get very low cost stocks that are quickly swapped 8).  Or, go with 2 rigs, one for scopes and one for open sights.  Or go with 3 rigs, one for......