Author Topic: 270 STW  (Read 2294 times)

Offline stater

• Trade Count: (0)
270 STW
« on: September 19, 2005, 01:28:28 PM »
Does anyone have any info or know where I can find it on a 270 STW ?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
270 STW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 03:21:25 PM »
Good to see another poster from New Mexico! I've never had anyone want one, but it should be pretty straightforward to do. It'll end up pressuring up a little quicker than a 7mm version, but otherwise should be pretty much in line with a 270 Weatherby or a little faster. I do have a reamer for a 6.5 STW, had one customer want one once. He nearly blew himself up, not knowing about proper handloading practices. Cartridges like this can be touchy if you don't know what you're doing. There is some new powder available on the surplus market called "super slow" that's quite a bit slower than 5010. This sounds like a good application for it.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline stater

270 STW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I saw a couple of articles about a 257 STW and the 7 STW built by the guy from 2J Outfitters and he was getting phenominal velocities with them and great groups also. I was just curios about a 270 STW. The 6.5 doesnt sound all that bad either.

I'm wanting to rebuild a gun but don't know yet what chamber I want. I'm looking at an old MV in 300 Wby, or a Rem 700 BDL in 300 UM. I basically just want the action to build on. I've never owned either caliber, who knows I might like either one although the Wby has a 24" bbl.

Bell & Carlson builds the Wby. style stock but only for Wby. and Howa actions and I've had good luck with felt recoil reduction with that stock, otherwise I'd definately go with the Rem.

I've been in CO. for quire a while but just moved back to Farmington.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
270 STW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 08:41:06 AM »
dUMB QUESTION BUT WHAT DOES STW STAND FOR? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
270 STW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 10:35:14 AM »
STW  stands for Shooting Times Westerner.

The original  wildcat of this series was designed by Shooting Times gun magazine write Layne Simpson.  It was the 7 STW, which was developed by simply necking the 8mm Rem Mag case down to 7mm, and called the 7 STW in honor of the magazine for which he writes.

A guy in Texas has taken the .257 STW and called it the 257 FERGUSON Hot Tamale. He gets 4,000 fps with a 100 grain .257 bullet and it shoots flat out to 400 yards or so!

Check this out:

http://www.gunhuntermag.com/Features/030818Tamale.html

The 8mm Rem Mag was wildcatted down to .308 by someone a few years ago, but it's basically a .300 Weatherby Magnum by another name.  It is, however, more inherently accurate than the .300 Weatherby.  Custom rifle maker Kenny Jarret, who built the first 7 STW rifle for Layne Simpson, has  also wildcatted the 8mm Rem Mag casing for an interesting line of proprietary wildcats.  The .300 Jarret is his favorite and he claims it is more inherently accurate than the other  full length .300 magnums, based on his work as a custom rifle builder who is responsibile for load development on custom guns.

Before that the 8mm Rem Mag case was wildcatted up to .375 by gun writer Jon R. Sundra and called the .375 JRS.  

The neck downs seem to have been more popular than the neck ups of this caliber.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
270 STW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 03:51:37 PM »
What are the ballistics of the 7mm stw. Who make calibers in these or are they trully custome only? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline wadevb1

270 STW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 12:46:55 PM »
7STW went into production approx six years back, thats when I picked mine up. Weatherby Accumark. Remington, Sako and Winchester produced rifles in the STW but lost some favor when Rem introduced the RUM's
My Barnes manual list max mv in the 3500 range. I get slightly higher mv with reloads with slight pressure signs. Accuracy is excellent. After I hit 1K rounds I'll screw a Lilja tube onto it and chamber 6.5 STW