Author Topic: ? for John N.  (Read 776 times)

Offline uz2busmc

• Trade Count: (0)
? for John N.
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:37:31 PM »
What  is the max load you have used in your Traditions .69 cal, also what type of patches are you using and lastly... do you cast your own ammo or did you by it somewhere??

Your the only one on here that I know that has this cannon along with myself, of course, so just wanted to see if you had played with verious loads or not.

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
? for John N.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 07:23:28 AM »
The only projectiles I've fired with this particular cannon are 5/8" diameter wood dowels. I used cloth patches with the dowels but still left them loose enough to easily slip down the bore. I also fired a steel ball recovered from a broken PC mouse (rubber covering removed). It was about 0.625" in diameter. I didn't use a patch but raised the barrel elevation and was careful that the ball stayed right against the powder charge.

If you want to try lead round balls, check out Track of the Wolf:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

They have .690" round balls, pure lead, hand cast, $8.00 per 25.

I intend to order some one of these days. However I have a lot of mouths to feed and rely mainly on cheap projectiles like concrete filled beer cans, old golf balls, dead C-cell batteries, etc:

[

Offline uz2busmc

? for John N.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:17:59 AM »
Yeah, I guess you do have alot of mouths to feed, that's quite a family there.

I've actually got the ammo already, and have fired it quite a bit, I was hoping that maybe you had more experience with it. Really have not tried to many combinations myself. Thanx anyway.

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
? for John N.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 11:39:51 AM »
Hey John N.
 Nice collection. Where did you get that cute little brass "Dictator" mortar?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
? for John N.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 02:12:49 PM »
I've dealt with a bullet caster who goes by the name of Grand Master.  He is located in Cañon City, Colorado; phone number (719) 275-6968.  I bought .678" round balls from him for $9.75 for 50 for the handgonne testing project.  I would expect .690" round balls would be similarly priced.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
? for John N.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 02:43:10 AM »
Dictator,

Cannon Mania sells that little brass mortar for $63 in kit form. The solid brass barrel is fully vented and has a 1” bore with a small powder sub chamber. It’s a 1/10th scale replica of a 10-inch siege mortar used at Yorktown during the Revolutionary War.

It will launch C-cell batteries up to 40-50 feet with a nice little pop. I love the lines of this mortar and would love to own a 1/3rd scale version (beer can caliber).

HereÂ’s an action shot:

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
? for John N.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 12:16:16 PM »
Hmmm... I've had my eye on that little mortar kit for awhile now.  
It's about time for me to begin my Christmas shopping (for myself).  :wink:

How much powder does the chamber hold?

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
? for John N.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 01:10:08 PM »
Thanks John,
 That does make a great stocking stuffer 8) . I like the idea of a beer can size.

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
? for John N.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 01:22:45 AM »
Terry,

The Yorktown's chamber holds 20-25 grains. I've only used 1F grade BP, and I think 2F is probably more appropriate. I've done up to 35 grains, and that's launched a batttery way into the woods.

Here's some pictures from C-M: