Author Topic: anyone tried the Rem Buckhammers yet?  (Read 786 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
anyone tried the Rem Buckhammers yet?
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:43:04 PM »
i saw an add where they shot 100 rounds into a 2.5 inch group or something like that at 100yds.anyone tried them yet?im going to get a couple of boxs to shoot out of my 12ga Tracker II barrel mounted on my 10ga frame.this gun is about ready to rock n roll a buck or two.my son will be shooting my 20ga ultraslug this year and this special setup im going to shoot.maybe i will post a picture or two sometime very soon.i would like to show her off alittle anyways and show off the piller scope mount job my smith did for me.this is one strong setup my friends and NEF says the Tracker barrel wont fit on a 10ga frame :devil2: and you cant mount a scope ona 12ga Tracker II :devil2:

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 02:56:58 PM »
Please let us know how they do.  They look like just the ticket for some of the thick stuff I hunt in on occasion.  I like the price too.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 01:32:33 AM »
I liked the ads and the looks of them but I thought they were very expensive for what they are (they appear to be copies of Brennekes). The real Brenneke's and Brenneke Rottwiels are much more slug of the same style (original style I might add) for lots less money, less than half the price of the Buckhammers. The Brennekes are VERY accurate and tremendous knockdown power with/helped by, a large meplat....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 06:08:35 AM »
Yes I've been shooting nothing but them through my Tracker II 12 ga.  Open sights so I hold my shots to fifhty yards or less.  They do shoot good and have alot of knock down power.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 06:44:28 AM »
Does anyone who shoots these Buckhammers have a problem with barrel leading when shooting these slugs through a rifled barrel?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 07:10:46 AM »
i also wondered about barrel leading:?:the ad says for rifled barrels so maybe it isnt a problem :?:

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 11:53:53 AM »
I have been shooting them for over a year and have not noticed any lead fouling yet.   But I do know that when one of these rounds hit a deer it goes down.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 04:03:25 AM »
If the lead is engaging the rifling then I would assume that there should be some lead residue remaining in the barrel after shoting these slugs.  Is the cleanup substantial after a shooting range session with the Buckhammers :?:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 11:33:09 AM »
I'm not sure but I thought they were classified as an  attached sabot slug meaning the sabot(Plastic part) that engages the rifling is at the back of the round.  I have shot allot of these and have not noticed any more fouling then with a normal sabot.  Also I have heard you can shoot these out to 150 yards but I alway try to hold my shots to within fifty yards.  And where I hunt thats not a problem.  Some places down in the bottums with alot of undergrowth your lucky if you can see fifty yards ahead of you.

Hope this helps
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 02:52:29 AM »
Yes I shoot them and LOVE THEM!!
 I am lucky enough to be able to shoot two different slugs thru the same gun with out re-zeroing for either. My Ultra Slug 12 ga shoots buck hammers to the point of aim at 100 yrds. Shoots them into a racket ball sized hole. (Little smaller than a baseball :) ) AND, Remington ultra core lokt's about 2" high at 100 yrds. Shoots them into a ragged hole 1-1.5" in diameter! The advantage is I carry bolt slugs. If Mr whitetail sticks his nose out at less than 100 he gets a buckhammer in the shoulder/base of the neck, if Mr Big horns shows his face between 100 and 200 I send a core lokt thru his ribs.

I have seen what these buckhammers do to deer. My buddy and I where walking down a tote road and saw some deer working towards us so we hunkered down ands watched. One small 6pt was walking right at me and broad side to my friend. As I watched he shot him, that deer was literally pushed 12" to the side at impact. He stumbled and died about 10 feet from me. He took one big gurgly breath and died just like that. Quite a show, wish I had my digital video camera that day!!!

Buy them!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.