Author Topic: opinions on taurus 92  (Read 532 times)

Offline Hank McMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
opinions on taurus 92
« on: September 20, 2005, 03:54:28 PM »
I am thinking about picking up one of these, and was wanting some feedback from some who have experience with these pistols. I know they are a copy of the berretta 92 and have a different safety. I'm a lefty and the safety on the taurus seemed to "feel right"
All responses welcome
Hank McMauser
Hank McMauser

Offline JimLally

opinions on taurus 92
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 04:35:09 PM »
I've owned a PT-92AF since 1995 (it's one of my six Taurus handguns, 3 semi's, 3 revolvers).  Rounds thru the gun?  I lost count a long time ago.

NEVER a failure of any kind.  VERY reliable.  Just keep it cleaned and oiled.  I'm a VERY happy owner.

I once heard the Taurus 92 describes as "tougher than a 2 dollar steak."

How true.

Jim

Offline KN

opinions on taurus 92
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 04:53:54 PM »
I've had a 92 compact for about 10 yrs. Great gun, very reliable.  KN

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I like mine
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 07:26:45 PM »
I bought the PT 92 AF a week before the 10 rnd mag rule took effect in the 90's.  I haven't shot it a lot - no more than 1,000 to 1,200 rounds at most.  My hands are small and they barely get around the double stack mag but once I got the thin Hogue rubber grips, I've really liked it.  I have stove piped some rounds but I think that was an ammo problem not the gun.  Its acceptably accurate at self defense distances (I can hold 3 in at 15 yds).  I think I prefer the frame mounted safety with my small hands.  I don't know how the aluminum frame would hold up to heavy use but so far so good for me. Sure wish I could have a thin Crimson Trace grip for it.  Might try to get some tritium sights for it.  I like the relatively light weight when I carry it.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
opinions on taurus 92
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 06:03:58 AM »
I kind of like mine & it is acceptably accurate as noted.
The grip is thick.
The only problem I had was a pin on the adjustable site sheared off & that allowed a small spring that worked an internal safety to escape.
Taurus sent me another for a nominal fee. If you read the warrantee, the sights aren't covered.
I had been shooting plusP ammo.

Offline Hank McMauser

new taurus in the house!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 01:47:48 PM »
Well I went and did it  except  I picked up the model  PT99AF, instead. I got it for :grin:  $300.00 last weekend. I  took it to the range ytesterday and was getting  very tight grops with it after a little fiddling with the rear sight.Overall we put about 90 rds through it and only one malfunction, it stovpiped on of the empty cartridges about halfway through the shooting  session.
 Overall I'm very pleased and my pa-in-law wants to borrow it for an upcoming IDPA night shoot :o

Hank McMauser

P.S.-- Oh yeah forgot to ask does anyone know if the 17 rd mec-gar mags fit flush or do they stick out the bottom (I currently have a 15 rounder I think it's factory but not sure)?I notice mid-south has these at fairly good price too! I'm all for supporting the advertisers who make it possible for these fine forums.
Hank McMauser

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
opinions on taurus 92
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 07:30:33 PM »
In my oppinion a better pistol than the Berreta it copied. I carried a Barreta for 7 years as a duty pistol. Any repairs needed for the department pistols was out of the deparment's expense fund. Taurus backs thier pistols with a lifetime guarentee. I own a few 92 AF models never a problem. The only complaint I have is there is no barrel bushing and you can wobble the barrel with your finger when it is in the ready to fire position. The accuracy is still there it's just a pet peave of mine, knowing that the barrel is not stationary like most other auto pistols when ready to fire. When we were using the 40 cal Berreta all officers scored an 86 or higher when qualifying the first time. Previously with the S&W 5906 it took several officers 5 times to get the minimum 70 required.
Molon labe