Author Topic: williams fp sight for buff classic  (Read 7115 times)

Offline dutchie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: williams fp sight for buff classic
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2009, 06:00:43 AM »
kbis
Thanks for the PM's and your help . I called Williams and they will ship the sight to my address . I'll keep you posted as to how it works out.
Dutchy

Offline dutchie

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »
Not exactly the fp williams sight ...yet.but.thanks to the info on this site , and in the FAQ's I replaced the Lyman front sight on my BC 45-70 . Took off the 'issued' one and installed a .404 of the same type . Didn't do any damage to the BC or myself in the process!

Now I know to most of you this could likely be done in the dark but since I'm one of those guys that can't run a wheelbarrow ; this was a major task. :o
Again thanks to all

Dutchy ..who is smiling ;D ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2009, 11:03:49 AM »
Many have had problems removing the old sight, they can be a real bear to knock out of the dovetail.  :-\ Others have destroyed the globe on the old or new sight also, my ex-gunsmith for one  ::), I had to wait for him to order another after he ruined it reinstalling it after the rechamber to 45-120, then he installed the replacement sight crooked  :-X, I ended up fixing it myself, then learned the .584" was too tall and swapped it out for a .404".  So you did good Dutchy!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2009, 04:07:30 AM »
More than one month later I have received my new Lyman .494 front sight  ;D troubles with customs  ???

Offline dutchie

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2009, 05:18:30 AM »
Hay Buster ,
I'm here in Nova Scotia and my last Lyman order (inc. the sight ) was almost 5 weeks . It was not Lymans fault by the look at the stamps it was mailed within a day or two .

Hang up was more then likely in Post or Canada Customs...
I  was at a shoot with the .404 on the weekend . It was only 150 yards but I was more then pleased that
1. I could see the target

and

2. managed to hit it a couple of times!!

Enjoy

Dutchy

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2009, 06:06:10 AM »
H&R lists the 38-55 Target front sight as part#R03020 $30.90, me thinks maybe I'm missing a page, they list the BC carbine front sight, but none for the BC, Track sells the .494"  for a little less.

Tim

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(4ysl3zbyemliifyrkbhrx2mh))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=763&partNum=FS-17-AML

I just checked that link....lots of nice stuff.  I was wondering however, does anybody know if there are any other inserts one can get for the Lyman FS-17 other than the seven that come with it?  (sorry if I'm asking a previously asked question....I may have missed it here)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2009, 06:11:49 AM »
The Lee Shaver insert set is one I like, it's listed in the FAQs in the Long Range Sights link IIRC, but I have it bookmarked.  ;D

Tim

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,49.htm

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2009, 06:44:19 AM »
The Lee Shaver insert set is one I like, it's listed in the FAQs in the Long Range Sights link IIRC, but I have it bookmarked.  ;D

Tim

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,49.htm

As always, Tim has the answer.  Sorry I missed it in the FAQ's.  There is SO MUCH info here that sometimes it takes a while to find it.....or I just forget to check the FAQ's when I see a topic at hand.

I shoot OK with the Lyman one but I think the ones you have listed there are more to what I'm looking for....I like the fine crosshairs and circles.  Plus, I like the one with the grid.  I've been told that they can be handy when used as a tool for windage and elevation on long shots. 

Thanks again Tim.

Offline dutchie

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2009, 07:01:17 AM »
Add my thanks . I was thinking of the same ideas re the inserts .As always ..the info was here!!
Dutchy

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2009, 08:05:37 AM »
btw what is the purpose of the clear yellow plastic insert in the original kit?  :-\

Offline dutchie

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2009, 08:08:09 AM »
Sunny days?? ;D
Not sure ...Tim?? :-[
Dutchy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2009, 08:15:02 AM »
Probably the same reason yellow lenses are real popular with shooters since they enhance visual acuity and target contrast.  ;)

Tim

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »

Offline dieselten

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009, 08:53:39 AM »
btw what is the purpose of the clear yellow plastic insert in the original kit?  :-\

It can be used as an aperture insert, all by itself.  It has the advantage of not having any lines or cross bars to obscure the field of view.  Try it, it is sort of an "acquired" taste.

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2009, 09:01:06 AM »

Ya know, I wondered that too until I found a use for it.  

I was shooting 75 yards at a target which had 5 circles on it.  When aiming at the center one and using the circle insert on the globe sight, it was easy to center the target circle within the concentric circles made by the sight.  However, when aiming at one of the side targets (all four out of five) things appeared a little off center since one half of the view had a bright white side and the other had the dark area of the cardboard backing.  You wouldn't think this would make much of a difference but it completely threw off my centering on the target off and I couldn't keep my groups tight.  SO, I added the amber plastic shade and it darkened the white contrasted area on one side of my view enough so that things looked even once again and I was able to center on the target circle better.

I hope that made sense???  If you did make sense out of that, try it, you'll see.  It really evens the contrast out in your view if the view is brighter on one side as compared to the other and actually helps you center on the target better too.

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »
I will try it  ;)