Author Topic: Question about my 410  (Read 713 times)

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Question about my 410
« on: September 25, 2005, 07:03:44 AM »
I got a 410 at the first of the year. hasn't been fired yet. I got it to see if it would be a decent squirrel gun. Really, I just wanted it. I 'll be shooting the 3 inchers #6 shot. Earlier this year I went on ahead and cleaned all barrels of my shotguns and rifles and polished them. I figured that I would get some squirrels while I took a break from bowhunting. I'm really wondering if the 410 will be an OK gun. Hope so! :shock:  Well' it's all about the want isn't it? I want more handis!! :toast:  :mrgreen:  :yeah:
                                                               tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Question about my 410
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 02:03:54 AM »
Tommy, I've found that 2.5" shells actually print a better pattern than the 3".     The 3's had a big hole in the pattern.  Do a search here and I think you will find others with the same experience.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
shotguns
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 02:23:10 AM »
Tommy01, I think you should pattern the 410 with both 2 1/2 and 3in.
 then use the best patterned shells, 410 should be good medicine for
 tree rats good luck,  Marv.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Question about my 410
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 11:44:59 AM »
Bret and Tommy01,

I have found that the 2 1/2's pattern better out of my gun also.  Like Bret said before the 3" shell seems to leave alot of holes in the pattern.  But Like said before pattern your gun with both and see what shoots the best and use those.....  And about squirell hunting with a .410 well just limted your range and you will be fine.  When I hunt with my .410 I try to limt my shots to within 25 yards.

Hope this helps.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Question about my 410
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 02:05:43 PM »
try loading your 3" (and 2 1/2") shells to a lower velocity. you can get good patterns with the heavier load with slower than the usual factory "max" loads.

a good shot to use for both  the 2 1/2" and 3" shells is #8 1/2, it's an oddball but it meters well, patterns good enough, and works on anything from bobwhites to pheasant up to 15 yards. i can't speak for squirrel, never shot one. my trap shooting buddies turned me on to #8 1/2 shot, they swear by it.

other shot sizes work equally well when loaded to proper velocites, i have used 1/2 oz of #6 shot on pheasant with excellent results, meaning the bird died every time !

in general terms, but not always, patterns that have holes in the center are be caused by poor internal ballistics.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Question about my 410
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 03:50:37 PM »
ScatterGunner (and others),

I'm also a reloader and have heard of #8 1/2's altho I've never used them.

What lower or more 'balanced' velocity do you like to reload your .410 shells too?

One of the reasons I reload is so I can 'split hairs'  and carefully tailor my loadings to exactly what I want or to experiment with.  So what velocity do you strive for?

In addition, I'm all for using weird and half sizes of shot too.  Ballistic Products is a great supplier of odd sizes - of everything!  Shot of various types and sizes, but also wads, hulls and the equipment to reload them.

When I start shooting a .410 again, I'm going to be trying 3" loads using 1/2 and 5/8 ounces of shot as well as 11/16 and 3/4 ounces.  I fully expect I'll discover less is more.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Question about my 410
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 05:49:53 PM »
i don't have a chronograph, so i can't give you specific velocities to load up to. you will need to start at less than MAX loads and go up until you start seeing flyers in your patterns.

i would start out at 12 gr of 296 or H110 for both 1/2 or 11/16 oz loads.  the 1/2oz would be for 2 1/2" shells and the 11/16 oz would be for 3" shells.

i can tell you that when using skeet choke tubes in my OU, the same powder loads with 1/2 ounce of #9's through #7 1/2's shoot fine with no pattern holes, the same for 3" shells and 11/16 oz loads.  the handi's full choke seems the dominant parameter requiring more attention to velocity or interior ballistics.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Question about my 410
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 10:51:42 AM »
I also find that I get a better pattern from the 2 1/2" shells. I use #6 shot on them and find that it works well. I am heading out in about an hour to shoot some of them. Good luck.

snakeman