Author Topic: optics and quality  (Read 695 times)

Offline massenrg

• Trade Count: (0)
optics and quality
« on: September 25, 2005, 09:42:12 AM »
Hi,

I'm wondering how to shop for a scope to be mounted on a 30.06.

What characteristics should one look for when shopping for quality. The price differential between makes is substantial. For example Leupolds and Nikkons are considerably more expensive than Simmons and Bushnell. Why? What do the more expensive makes have that the cheaper ones do not?
Thanks.

Offline bluebayou

optics and quality
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 11:35:06 AM »
I really like my Leupold VX-2.  Would I buy another one after 3 years of experience shooting with it?  No.  It costs too much.  Go into a store and look through some scopes.  Ask if you can take one outside (with a salesperson).  

The Legend that I have rocks.  The Trophy is good.  If I were replacing the Leupold today then I would buy a Nikon Monarch for the same money or the Bushnell Elite 3200 and save some duckies.  

Fully multicoated is a good thing to look for.  This Optic Zone guy seems pretty squared away.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: optics and quality
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 01:25:52 PM »
Quote from: massenrg
Hi,

I'm wondering how to shop for a scope to be mounted on a 30.06.

What characteristics should one look for when shopping for quality. The price differential between makes is substantial. For example Leupolds and Nikkons are considerably more expensive than Simmons and Bushnell. Why? What do the more expensive makes have that the cheaper ones do not?
Thanks.

I made a post in the deer hunting section to you. Check it out.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

optics and quality
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 01:44:25 PM »
massenrg,

For example Leupolds and Nikkons are considerably more expensive than Simmons and Bushnell. Why? What do the more expensive makes have that the cheaper ones do not?

One of the most important things to consider in any optic purchase is the warrantee the company provides.  Burris and Leupold have lifetime warrantee that are transferable from one owner to another.  And these companies stand behind their products.  Other optic companies offer limited lifetime warrantees or something along those lines.  This is something you really want to consider when purchasing a rifle scope.  Sure there might be hundreds of deer killed every year with cheap $50.00 scopes BUT every year there are hundreds of cheap scopes that get tossed into the trash due to failures and breakage.  It's always a good idea to buy the very best scope you can afford.  In the end you'll be money ahead.  As for a scope for your .30-06 it would be great to know what type of deer hunting you do, at what ranges you think you'll be shooting and most of all your budget.  Then we can give you more options for you to choose from.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
optics and quality
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 03:08:26 PM »
I learned the hard way with cheap scopes.  Don't buy them, the biggest reason is the point of impact moves.  You see this when your groups string.  Your groups should be well rounded.  Another reason is glass.  Good glass cost.  I am one who will never tell someone to buy a $1000 scope.  Unless your a professional guide, you don't need it.   I have shot countless deer with and old cheapo Bushnell Sportview.   The Bushnell series are all good.  The Muellers are good as well.  I own several Bushnells, one Simmons Aetec, a Leupold, and a Mueller.  I can't tell a difference in any of them.  They are all clear and hold zero.  For less money you have two choices if you want clear optics: Bushnell and Mueller
Stay away from anything else unless you have the dough!  
Some people would have listed Simmons in this group but the new Master Series is just not proven yet.  My .002

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
optics and quality
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 08:54:05 AM »
The Buris FFII is a great scope for the money.  It is all that you'll ever need in any condition.  I have several more expensive ones, and they are great, but the FFII is all you'll ever need.

Offline victorcharlie

optics and quality
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 12:14:23 PM »
Made in the USA is the first thing to look for..........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater