Author Topic: Aftermarket Barrels  (Read 447 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Aftermarket Barrels
« on: September 26, 2005, 10:39:55 AM »
For those that have purchased one for their semi-auto(s), what brand have you chosen?  I have a barrel on the way now, made by EFK Fire Dragon; any comments on their quality?  

Just curious to find out what's preferred and what's not.  8)

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
Aftermarket Barrels
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 12:26:19 PM »
I got a federal arms barrel. Mainly because no one else makes one for a star model A. It shoots good enough for me. And it allowed me to switch the gun to 9mm luger.

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
Aftermarket Barrels
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 01:36:43 PM »
So far 32 views and one reply....

Surely there are more out there who have purchased an aftermarket barrel.  Either out of necessity or for experimentation, it makes no difference.  Anyone tried EFK Fire Dragon's barrels?  Whether its complimentary, or about those that should be avoided, lets hear it! :cb2:

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Aftermarket Barrels
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:00:51 PM »
I have purchased and used Bar-Sto Barrels and Ed Brown.  All were drop-in and all gave and continue to give excellent performance.  I don't know of the brand you mentioned.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
Aftermarket Barrels
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 02:35:08 PM »
I was able to give the barrel a good test run this past Sat.  It did require some minor fitting, which is not a real problem if one has the experience and proper tools.  My methods of testing were to to fire a few full mags first to get a feel for it.  Then, I fired (all tests used full mags) with a loose grip, weak handed, sideways left and right, and upside down.  Lastly, I fired all 8 rounds in rapid fire.  Perfect...With a couple exceptions.  

The round failed to chamber once while shooting it sideways with the weak-hand.  The other, was while shooting it upside down.  I was a little upset at first, but I shrugged it off as needing some usage to "wear in" a bit.  As I put many more rounds through it, the rounds were more frequently failing to chamber.  Needless to say, I was getting frustrated.  I did not want to have to do anything to the chamber in any way, as this barrel is National Match grade all the way.  I suggested to myself it may be getting dirty and needed a good brushing.  Wrong, it still had some problems.  

Once I got home, I was determined to re-create the problem that was starting to get on my nerves, of which I was successful.  I sat and thought what could possibly hang this Sig P220 up, as it never jammed after the more than 3000 rounds through it (well a couple times, due to my reloaded ammo not being up to par).  It came to mind, that I do clean my magazine housings and springs after every two outings or so, and I gave them a once over.  

Duhhh....  I happened to put the springs in backwards!  The springs narrow up about 1/4 the length of the spring on one side.  I had placed it in the magazine with it closer to the back of the magazine, instead of the forward wall.  This caused the follower to push the top bullet nose down, enough to cause it to catch inside and prevent flawless feeding every so often; and more so when closing the slide on a fresh magazine.  After replacing the  springs properly, I could not re-create the problem, and I think it is solved so far.  To be sure, I'll have to give it a good test run next time I get out to the range, and hopefully it will be back to flawless as usual.  Thanks for reading my little ramblings.

BTW, Mikey, here is the website to the barrel mfg.:  EFK Fire Dragon

:D
-Patriot
-Patriot