Author Topic: Golf Ball Mortar ?  (Read 635 times)

Offline hawkchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
Golf Ball Mortar ?
« on: September 26, 2005, 03:44:09 PM »
OK as a old 0341 (Marine Corp mortar man) I really love the golf ball mortars, but have a dumb ass question.

I have a friend that will mill out the parts, but can the Bands be milled out of the blankm also, or do they have to be seperate?

It seems that the preasure would not make a diff, but physics was never my strong point.

PS I have learned so much here by lurking for several monthes.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Golf Ball Mortar ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:11:18 PM »
Hopefully your friend has a lathe which would make the work a lot easier.  The tube can be made from a solid piece.  The bands were separate because of the requirements of the contest.  Making the barrel from a solid piece is better as the breech is then integral with the barrel rather than having separate pieces with the potential for corrosion in inaccessible places.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Golf Ball Mortar ?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 07:58:06 PM »
Hi, I'm with GGaskill. I'd make the barrel out of one piece then add the trunions.

Later,
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Golf Ball Mortar ?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 01:26:03 AM »
Quote from: hawkchucker
OK as a old 0341 (Marine Corp mortar man) I really love the golf ball mortars, but have a dumb ass question.

I have a friend that will mill out the parts, but can the Bands be milled out of the blankm also, or do they have to be seperate?

It seems that the preasure would not make a diff, but physics was never my strong point.

PS I have learned so much here by lurking for several monthes.

WELCOME-

Good question.  The adding of the bands you've seen here came from the contest having provided a specific size of tubing that needed a little more diameter.  Make it easy on yourself and have it cut from one piece.  The originals were cast and the narrowing of the diameter was to reduce weight where the strength was not needed.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)