Author Topic: Sad News...Jeff Gannon(MTNMAN) has passed away  (Read 1138 times)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Sad News...Jeff Gannon(MTNMAN) has passed away
« on: September 27, 2005, 05:09:46 AM »
I don't know if you all remember MTNMAN but I just read this on Modernsportsman.com:

For those of you who are long time members of ModernSportsman.com I have some very sad news for you, Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. I just received a call from Wes Parker (Redneckokie), and he informed me Jeff died from a massive heart attack. Family members told Wes it was quick and Jeff did not suffer. True to form Jeff was in the woods when he died, which if you knew Jeff you would know if he had to die that is where he would want to be. For those of you who knew Jeff and even those who did not, please join me in saying a prayer for the repose of the soul of a good friend and a true Sportsman. God Bless you Jeff, I hope where you are the turkeys are plentiful with long beards, and the Bucks are big and all wall hangers I'll meet you at the forest edge in the fullness of time. ........ Sierra

I just sent him a PM on this site and he congratulated me on my daughter and commented on how beautiful she is...That was just a few weeks ago. I am so sad...I have never met the man but his kindness showed through in his posts and his knowledge of the outdoors. I will miss his insight and his banter about his NEF turkey gun Little Tom(see pic below) and the rest of his "pipe" he had in his gun safe. I always said that if I were to travel down to the NY/NJ/PA border area that I would stop on down to the Ramapo Mtns and visit Jeff. I guess I will never get that chance...This is truly a tragic loss and a sad day for all.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Sad News...Jeff Gannon(MTNMAN) has passed a
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 07:45:50 AM »
If we knew him well or not, we all lost a friend, rest in peace with the Lord Jeff...aka Mtnman....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 08:43:38 AM »
Here is Jeff's Obituary:

http://www.nyjnews.com/obituary/obit.php3?id=1834446

GANNON, JEFFREY L. - GANNON, JEFFREY L. Jeffrey L. Gannon of Sloatsburg, NY passed away suddenly on September 22, 2005 at the age of 58. The son of the late Howard and Edna Gannon he was raised in Hillburn and Viola, NY and was a Rockland County resident for most of his life. Jeff served in the Army during the Vietnam War, he was with G2 Intelligence. He was employed by the United States Military Academy at West Point for over 30 years and was recently retired. Whether it was at the Shore the lakes, or the mountains, Jeff was an avid outdoors man, enjoying hunting, fishing, and hiking, he loved all aspects of nature. He is survived by his wife Lee, his son Christian (Jennifer) of Garnerville, NY, his daughter Kelley and grandson Alan Hunter of Sloatsburg, NY, his sister Jill of California and his niece Karri Nolan (Michael) of Monsey NY. We would like to extend our deepest appreciation to all our neighbors, friends, and family, he will be greatly missed. Funeral services were held privately. Donations to the Wildlife Preservation or the Sloatsburg Ambulance Corp would be appreciated. To sign Jeff's guest book please visit www.scarrfuneralhome.net. SCARR FUNERAL HOME Rt.202 - Suffern 845-357-1137

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:36:52 AM »
i remember him from the old NEF forum site and i think he posted here some too.i sorry to hear about his passing :( im sure the good lord has a special place for him

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 12:37:49 PM »
Jeff will be missed.  My prayers go out to his family.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 12:15:54 PM »
He has forgotten more about hunting then I will never know.  He helped me over at the old site and over here to.  He will be missed.

God rest his soul.

Toast to; Jeff (MTNMAN) You have served your time on this earth now its time for you serve in the Lords World.  May peace be with you for all time.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 01:01:25 PM »
Our prayers are with him & his family at this time.
He has been called home to a better place
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 07:30:58 PM »
Here's a face to go with the name...Jeff, you will be missed.  

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 09:02:48 AM »
I too, will miss MTNMAN.  I first got to know him through the old H&R/NEF site also.  He may be gone, but his many words of wisdom will live on.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 02:16:20 PM »
I hope when my time comes it's quick and in the woods. It's ashame he didn't get to enjoy more of his retierement. I too remember him from the old H&R Talk. He was a constant backer of the idea of H&R reintroducing the hustman muzzleloading shotgun. That was were i first remember him from and since then any post with MTNMAN by it was required reading. He will be missed. I hope whoever inherits Lil' Tom appreciates what a fine hunting tool Jeff put together and uses it for it's intended purpose. Rest in peace MTNMAN.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun