Author Topic: Starting out... have some questions.  (Read 608 times)

Offline brokenknife

• Trade Count: (0)
Starting out... have some questions.
« on: September 27, 2005, 08:16:39 AM »
I have many years of experience with black powder revolvers and rifles.  Now I want to go to the next step-cannons.  I like the look of naval cannons best.  My question is which one.  Traditions makes a .69 "Old Ironsides" cannon that is simple and nice unit.  This is a turn key system and I even have a local supply of .69 lead ball ammo.  Another option is building a cannon.  I was looking at a 1/3 scale 1 inch bore steel lined cannon barrel of 23 inches.   I do not mind the work of building the carriage.  Which would be better?  I am leaning towards the 1/3 scale but I have some concerns.  How much louder is the 1 inch bore from the .69 bore?  Would a hard lead ball be ok in the 1 inch bore?  Would the 1/3 scale cannon be too much for a beginner?  Thanks for the help.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 09:06:25 AM »
This is a hard question. The first mortar I built was a golf ball mortar. I love to shoot it. I've built a bowling ball mortar. It's a hoot, every time it goes off you can't help but laugh in excietment. I have a 1/3 scale 24 pounder bored for golf balls. I like it, but its like the bowling ball mortar, hard for one person to handle. It takes 2 people to load the 24 pounder into the back of my truck when it's assembled. I'm building some smaller ones now. Some people like something that will sit on their desk and look nice and still be able to shoot them and make a little noise if they want. It all depends on your likes and circumstances I guess. My wife lets me keep the 24 pounder in the living room. That is another issue, you have to have room to store it.
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 09:11:25 AM »
Almost forgot, Welcome to the board!!!
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 10:16:24 AM »
Welcome to the board !!!   Personally I feel that bigger is better, especially when it comes to getting it pointed at whatever you intend to hit.  The larger 23" barrel would be a lot easier to fit up with some sort of sighting device.  If you are planning on casting your own ball, wheelweight would work fine.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:43:44 AM »
Would the 1/3 scale cannon be too much for a beginner?

Depends on what the original is.  A 1/3 scale mountain howitzer is only a foot long and 2.5" in diameter.  A 1/3 scale Napoleon is about 2 feet long and 3.67" in diameter.  A 1/3 scale 24 pounder is 3'4" long, 6.67" in diameter and (guessing) about 200 lbs weight.  Unless you are a regular weight lifter, about 100 lbs is the most you will want to be lifting by yourself.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline uz2busmc

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 12:03:25 PM »
Brokenknife,

I can't speak about the big stuff but I do have the Traditions old ironside that you mentioned and love it. This was also a first cannon purchase for me, just to get into the hobby. As a first cannon I highly recomend it. It is small and easily handled and easily stored/displayed and has a lot of bang for the buck. I'm planning on going to a bigger cannon myself now that I've had the opportunity to mess around with the small cannon, and have a better idea of what I want as far as big bores are concerned.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 12:10:09 PM »
What uz2busmc said...dead on...it's the door opener, once you go through that door...