Author Topic: Possibile 7.62x39 fix-your thoughts?  (Read 3961 times)

Offline jerkface11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Possibile 7.62x39 fix-your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2005, 02:18:19 PM »
Of course the commercial stuff is all loaded to mil spec. If not it would cause run away guns in any sks or AK clone with a non rebounding firing pin. So for safety it's all milspec.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Cruddy wolf ammo
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2005, 08:33:53 AM »

I believe this is why you'd want to be able to shoot wolf ammo. That's a 3 shot group at 100 yards. That measures .317" center to center. Sure this wasn't a handi rifle but this is by no means crappy ammo. By the way this was the wolf 154 grain soft point. $3.50 for a box of 20.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2005, 12:28:57 PM »
Thats a good group Krochus.
I admit I have never had such a tight group shooting Wolf through my 223 Ultra. About 1 1/5-2" with the 55gr Hollow points is the best I have ever done, plenty accurate to blast cans, clays, and closer range varmints.
May I ask what rifle you did shoot that with?

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2005, 12:49:26 PM »
Quote from: myarmor
Thats a good group Krochus.
I admit I have never had such a tight group shooting Wolf through my 223 Ultra. About 1 1/5-2" with the 55gr Hollow points is the best I have ever done, plenty accurate to blast cans, clays, and closer range varmints.
May I ask what rifle you did shoot that with?

A CZ527 carbine with an old redfield scope.

Offline Kmrere42

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Idea update
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2005, 12:56:03 PM »
I think that this is my final revision.

Start with a piece of shim stock or feeler gauge material 1/4" wide of about .008" - .011" thickness at about 1" in length.  Make a bend of .150" (or the thickness of your transfer bar) with about 1/3 of the material on one side of the bend.  On the long side make a small bend at the end so that when placed over the transfer bar it will hook over the transfer bar and stay in place.  Trim as needed.

Hope this helps for anyone who wants to use the idea...

My reason for doing this is to be able to shoot any available ammo that I might be able to get.  Also I had picked up a half case of wolf 154gr ammo. befor the rifle.  500 rounds for $62 was hard to pass up.

I seem to remember that Sierra was making a .308" 135gr for the handgun hunter.   Anyone try this in the handy???

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2005, 02:48:08 PM »
Maybe so but mine will shoot winchester white box,
 over a hundred so far and not one missfire, I haven't been able to get one wolf to go boom in my handi. I am not calling wolf junk I have over 3000 rounds of it, I won't use it in my handi or my CZ.

I don't know about useing .308 dia bullets... they would be undersize for the bore. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline myarmor

Re: Idea update
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2005, 04:09:22 PM »
Quote from: Kmrere42
I think that this is my final revision.

Start with a piece of shim stock or feeler gauge material 1/4" wide of about .008" - .011" thickness at about 1" in length.  Make a bend of .150" (or the thickness of your transfer bar) with about 1/3 of the material on one side of the bend.  On the long side make a small bend at the end so that when placed over the transfer bar it will hook over the transfer bar and stay in place.  Trim as needed.

Hope this helps for anyone who wants to use the idea...

My reason for doing this is to be able to shoot any available ammo that I might be able to get.  Also I had picked up a half case of wolf 154gr ammo. befor the rifle.  500 rounds for $62 was hard to pass up.

I seem to remember that Sierra was making a .308" 135gr for the handgun hunter.   Anyone try this in the handy???

Thanks for the info and update. At first the thought of filing down the hammer was mutany, but in the end, making a very small shim in worked out fine. And the oil held the shim in place after you cut it down to size? I knew it would be just a matter of time before someone would come up with an easy fix for this little delima. Keep us posted for a range report.

Offline Kmrere42

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Additional Report
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2005, 09:43:54 AM »
Hi,

Did some testing of the new shim.  Currently the one I am using is .011" thick giving a total increase of .022"  Everything has fired so far without a problem.  I have not had any indications of puncturing or flowback of the primers.  Actually each one looked as normal as they should be.  The only problem is that with the thick shim that I am using, the transfer bar does not want to drop out of the way.  I am now looking for some feeler gauge stock that is a little thinner.   I think that a piece .009" would be ideal.

NOTE: Attention must be paid to the shim so that when the hammer is cocked , the shim is set down on the top of the transfer bar.  I accidently crushed one shim between the hammer and the face of the receiver.  Ooops...  

Hope this helps if you want to try a shim.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »
this was a great thread, full of whiz and vinegar ! i am sorry i missed it earlier.

in automatic and most sheet metal guns, made para bellum, they arent terribly concerned with trifles like accuracy or primer dent size, they simply want the ammo to fire and not jamb, from the open bolt position.

so evidently, we have found that firing mil-spec 7.62 x 38 surplus or new just won't work too well in a handi and/or requires mechanical changes just to light it off !

a question that begs to be asked is "are any of you shooting military stuff seeing blow by around your cases and out the breech ?"

i'll bet the steel cases release from the chamber walls at much higher pressures than brass cases.

although i understand freds' dislike for the 7.63 x 39, having commie roots and all, i think it would perform quite well with cast bullets using hunting grade brass cases and an upset version of lymans 31141 mold with some sort of gas check !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2005, 02:44:59 PM »
I have shot a lot of the steel cased 7.62X54R surplus, with both steel cases and steel clad bullets.  Some of the steel is really softer than some of the brass, I know it doesn't figure but it is true.  I don't think it would re-size well, but it does seal good.  The bullets work just like copper clad ones, just not as pretty, but they shoot fine.  I work with Russian technology a lot at work, one thing they are very very good at is making a very crude, simple machine that will work every time no matter what.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2005, 09:22:35 PM »
Quote from: trotterlg
one thing they are very very good at is making a very crude, simple machine that will work every time no matter what.  Larry

Man you said it :)  Mosins and SKS's were never the prettiest rifles, but as for reliable, you can't beat them.  It's usually the Germans and Swiss that make pretty stuff :grin:
Still I am curious about how well the 7.62x39 barrels are selling at NEF/H&R?