Author Topic: A serious look at Hi Point semi-auto  (Read 1598 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
A serious look at Hi Point semi-auto
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2005, 06:24:43 PM »
Here's an update to my original comments.  I posted essentially the following comments on another thread but did not include them here until I saw this thread resurrected.

I bought the Hi Point 9mm and shot it at an indoor range.  I only fired 50 rounds and did so in groups of two except for the last four which I fired in rapid-fire.  This is my first semi-auto and I know very little about them; I'm a single-action guy.  I shot two round groups thinking that the most likely round to jam is either the first one or the last one in the magazine.  This may be untrue, but like I said, I'm new to semi-autos.

I had absolutely no jams.  Each time I loaded the two rounds I made sure that the bullet end of the round was slightly higher than the base.  I realize that 50 rounds is not a good measure of performance, but it is a start.  The last four rounds were fired as fast as I could reacquire the target and pull the trigger; still no jams.

Accuracy was another matter.  Shooting from distances of 5, 10, and 15 yards the initial shots were off of the paper target and low and to the right of the backing card.  After adjusting the sights a few times (with my swiss army knife - all that I had with me) I was able to hit the target (8 x 11 paper) in the area of the bullseye.  After sight adjustment I was able to group shots roughly within a four inch area at 15 yards.  Of the 50 shots fired, 41 hit the 8 x 11 paper target, 8 missed the paper but hit the backing material, and one shot missed entirely.  The shot that missed entirely was one of the last four that I fired in rapid-fire.

Conclusion: The Hi Point is bulky and therefore probably not well suited to CCW.  I experienced absolutely no problems once the sights were adjusted.  I was shooting off-hand using only one hand as I do with my single-action Ruger Blackhawks.  A true test of accuracy would require some type of bench rest which I did not have.  Is it comparable to a $1000 gun, I would expect not.  However, every gun I have read about has its critics, and for $120 this one does what it's supposed to do.

JR

Offline Fireball 57

A Serious Look at the Hipoint
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2005, 05:36:56 PM »
I have seen a few unreliable, expensive pistols and rifles in my years as a Assistant Chief Range Officer at the National Matches but, I never saw a  HiPoint there.  In fact, if IT isn't reliable, IT's a CLUB. :(
Without ammo, your rifle is a club! :biggun:

Offline jamie

• Contributor
A serious look at Hi Point semi-auto
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2005, 05:14:49 AM »
A friend mine bought a hi-point in .40 cal and took it out to the range yesterday.  4 FTF in the first clip, 2 in the second, 3 in the third, and 5 in the fifth.  He is already in the proccess of getting rid of it.

If you are on a tight budget then a low end revolver would be better.  I certainly wouldn't bet my life on a single round from a automatic that has a trigger so hard that the first time I shot it I checked to see if the safety was still on.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!