Author Topic: Goodyear Tire Position on CCW  (Read 1630 times)

Offline greenjeans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Goodyear Tire Position on CCW
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Copied this off another Forum. Need to let them know how we feel.

"In an effort to ensure the safety and security of our associates and customers, we have a clear company policy regarding weapons in the workplace. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. prohibits all persons who enter Company property from carrying a handgun, firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the property regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not. Exceptions apply to on-duty law enforcement personnel. This policy applies to all Company employees, visitors, customers, and contractors on Company property -- including our Company-owned stores.

All Company properties have received the decal or sign you referenced, and have been instructed to post it.

Thank you for the email. Please get back to me if I can provide further information."

Ed Markey (email: emarkey@goodyear.com)
VP, PR and Communications
North American Tire
Romans 8:38,39

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 03:10:38 PM »
sent him this email....

your policy just cost you a sale of your tires.   i had goodyears on my f-150, and was getting ready to buy another set.  then i saw your policy on concealed carry.  until goodyear's policy changes,  you will no longer recieve my business.  

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 05:15:42 PM »
I sent this.  Feel free to plagiarize/borrow from/copy outright.

Dear Mr. Markey,
     As an educated consumer, I make it my business to know the policies of the manufacturers I choose to purchase from.  I was saddened to read of your opposition to legal Concealed Carry by your own workers.  I have spent the past 24+ years in Law Enforcement and Security, and I am a firm believer in the need for concealed weapons in America.  I do not leave the house without a legally-carried weapon on my person, and often carry a backup in my personal vehicle.  I do so because I have learned over two decades that criminals are already armed, and among us, and refuse to play by the rules society makes, or corporations, or anyone else.  By definition, criminals don't obey laws, period.  But anyone who has gone through the needed steps to legally carry concealed has already had to prove himself of good character, as well as showing proficiency with the weapon they carry.  In other words, it's like extra Security Staff, but it's free.  Study after careful study has shown that areas where CCW is allowed are statistically much safer, for good reason.  Those who believe police stations ooze safety and "Gun Free" school zones are a good idea are clearly not paying attention to the facts before them.

I know all employers are terrified of workplace violence, and with good reason, liability and post-incidental litigation among them.  But no madman with any sense is going to walk into an office or factory and start shooting, when he knows the people working there are armed and prepared to defend themselves and their co-workers.  More guns, not fewer, are the key to safety in the workplace.  Allowing those of your employees who are willing and able to procure a CCW permit is like tripling your own security staff, and adds greatly to employee loyalty and confidence in their employers.   Law-abiding CCW holders have never posed a problem to society, criminals have.  Denying your workers the chance to protect themselves, their friends and co-workers, and their supervisors is like telling them that you don't trust them, and you consider them suspect as the criminal scum they would face off against.  It may not be the "politically correct" thing to do, but allowing CCW permit holders to do so on the job is still the best option, for all concerned.  

I hope you will re-consider your stance on this issue, for the sake of your workforce.  Until that happens, I will avoid your products, given the many other choices on the open market.  I will also spread the word about your position to all those like-minded people I know, and would gladly support a boycott of your products.

Thank you for your time and coonsideration to this matter.

John M. Abrams
St. Louis, MO
314-304-3651
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline HotGuns

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 01:11:25 PM »
Exceptions apply to on-duty law enforcement personnel.

Depending on the state you are in, exceptions apply to off duty personell as well.

Since Goodyear Stores prohibit the carrying of weapons onsite, can they absolutley,positively GUARANTEE my safety while Im in their store ?

My guess is that they cannot.

Therefore, I will buy the tires of their competetors that do not see the need to limit my means of self defense...

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 02:23:06 PM »
Hey papajohn, well said. Let us know what response you get.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 03:12:04 PM »
Another e-mail on the way letting them know that due to this policy I will not be doing business with them.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 06:40:18 PM »
Well, if I can't enter their store to buy tires or their service centers to have my car fixed, then their competitors will be getting my business and my money. Nice thing is that I just started going to one and spent a considerable amount of money (it was up in the three figures!) repairing my Jeep. That will make a good impact when I send Mr. Markey my letter noting my dis-satisfaction with his new policy along with a photo copy of my bill showing him what kind of business he will be losing as a result.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 01:29:34 AM »
Ironic, the only thing I buy from Goodyear are used wheel weights for bullet casting. Have never bought tires or had any service done by them.

Offline jhm

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 02:06:46 AM »
I sent a e-mail to him last week still no responce, if one is recieved it I am sure will be in the form letter format as we will all recieve it stating how sorry they are for any inconvience their policy has cost me, No inconvience to me, I am a firm beliver of letting my money do my walking with me.   JIM

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 02:59:44 AM »
I sent the following to him; if I get a reply I will post here:

Dear Mr. Markey:

I have just cancelled an appointment; at my local (Olympia, WA) Goodyear® Service Center, to have four new tires installed on my Ford truck. Additionally my wife's Cadillac is due service but we will spend our money at your competitors. It is blatantly obvious that your prohibition to the lawful carrying of concealed weapons by properly licensed citizens violates my, and my wife's constitutional rights.

Do you think for even a second that a criminal will obey this rule?

As a retired U. S. Army Officer I will start a boycott of your facilities for all active and retired military persons I meet. Additionally I will work with AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange Service) to get all contracts for your stores at Army & Air Force installations terminated.

I am sorely disheartened you place so little value on your customer's safety. I & my family will never patronize your stores until this policy is rescinded.

Sincerely,

David W. Eldred
CW3, USA (Ret)

Offline red_ford_truck

Re: Goodyear Tire Position on CCW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 12:46:34 PM »
Quote from: greenjeans
Copied this off another Forum. Need to let them know how we feel.

"In an effort to ensure the safety and security of our associates and customers, we have a clear company policy regarding weapons in the workplace. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. prohibits all persons who enter Company property from carrying a handgun, firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the property regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not. Exceptions apply to on-duty law enforcement personnel. This policy applies to all Company employees, visitors, customers, and contractors on Company property -- including our Company-owned stores.

All Company properties have received the decal or sign you referenced, and have been instructed to post it.

Thank you for the email. Please get back to me if I can provide further information."

Ed Markey (email: emarkey@goodyear.com)
VP, PR and Communications
North American Tire

I live in akron, goodyear's hq city.......theres a Goodyear Jr High here, a Seiberling grade school (seiberling founded goodyear....he just used goodyear's name).
Id boycott them too.  They arent a friend to america......view themselves as a global corporation.
Cooper Tires.......now there is a LOYAL true blue American company....based here in Ohio, and all of their tires are made here in Ohio.
And to my knowledge Cooper has no anti 2nd amendment policy.

rft

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »
Get some of these and send them:

I'm trying to find the poster that is just of the top half of this card.

NO Guns = No Money[/color]

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 01:43:20 PM »
Quote from: HotGuns

Depending on the state you are in, exceptions apply to off duty personell as well.

Since Goodyear Stores prohibit the carrying of weapons onsite, can they absolutley,positively GUARANTEE my safety while Im in their store ?

Therefore, I will buy the tires of their competetors that do not see the need to limit my means of self defense...

I can tell you one of their competitors NOT to purchase tires from, DUNLOP.  The wife and I are in a legal battle with them over a set of tires they sold us that cause our car to go out of control, rolling over three times when the right front tire blew with less the 1,500 miles on it(60,000 mile tire guarantee).  Independent tests showed tire failure.  According to sources we are not the only ones to be suing Dunlop over these tires.  There are two class action suits in progress now.

How about we make a list of companies that ban the carrying of concealed weapons on their premises?  I am curious as to how many companies would be on a list like that.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 04:20:15 PM »
There are a lot of anti-gun companies. I would love to have that list.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline red_ford_truck

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 09:49:47 AM »
Quote from: Lawdog

I can tell you one of their competitors NOT to purchase tires from, DUNLOP.  The wife and I are in a legal battle with them over a set of tires they sold us that cause our car to go out of control, rolling over three times when the right front tire blew with less the 1,500 miles on it(60,000 mile tire guarantee).  Independent tests showed tire failure.  According to sources we are not the only ones to be suing Dunlop over these tires.  There are two class action suits in progress now.

How about we make a list of companies that ban the carrying of concealed weapons on their premises?  I am curious as to how many companies would be on a list like that.  Lawdog

.........goodyear owns dunlop........one in the same........

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 11:57:35 AM »
Quote from: red_ford_truck
Quote from: Lawdog

.........goodyear owns dunlop........one in the same........

So our attorney told us when we started this lawsuit.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline jrdudas

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 04:07:16 AM »
Last January a bank in Columbus, Ohio was robbed and the thief shot the special-duty police officer working there.  I am sorry to report that the police officer did not survive.  Apparently the bad guy didn't notice the sign at the bank entrance door that said "no weapons allowed, including CCW".

JR

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 09:07:29 PM »
Just for the record, I've purchased my LAST Goodyear tire.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 11:42:20 AM »
Quote from: Dusty Miller
Just for the record, I've purchased my LAST Goodyear tire.

I won't buy them either. We will hit them where it hurts.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 07:59:39 PM »
I sent mine in to him.   And also linked to another forum at www.luvtohunt.com/forum
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline jebsr

Goodyear
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 09:17:15 AM »
sent following and will inform members of local gun club

To Whomever it concerns:

I have never had a felony conviction, been charged with a felony, do not have a history of mental illness, nor do I use any kind of illicit drugs.  I do believe I have the right to defend myself (and so must many state officials in many states where my CCP is honored).  If you and your company feel that you must infringe on these rights then I will honor your wishes and keep off you premisis and away from your products.  Also I will advise all of my friends and family of your wishes and policies and encourage them to not trouble you with their business.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Goodyear
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 04:26:04 AM »
Quote from: jebsr
sent following and will inform members of local gun club

To Whomever it concerns:

I have never had a felony conviction, been charged with a felony, do not have a history of mental illness, nor do I use any kind of illicit drugs.  I do believe I have the right to defend myself (and so must many state officials in many states where my CCP is honored).  If you and your company feel that you must infringe on these rights then I will honor your wishes and keep off you premisis and away from your products.  Also I will advise all of my friends and family of your wishes and policies and encourage them to not trouble you with their business.

They (Goodyear) never answered  my letter & e-mail; bet they won't answer yours either. They have no courage or morals; certainly they have NO TESTICLES!

Offline hogship

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 01:26:43 AM »
After having read this thread, I wouldn't purchase any Goodyear tires....

but

I wonder if Ed Markey realizes that their place of business is now less safe than it was.

This is just as bad as putting a sign on your home announcing that there are no guns inside, or walk through a bad neignborhood with a sign saying you are unarmed.

Real criminals want to know these things! They always assess the probability of being caught, and knowing if victims can resist is a major "need to know".

----------------------------------------------------

I suppose there are insurance companies that require companies to have policys to not allow firearms on the premisis.

hog
Great, great, great, great, great grandson of a Revolutionary War Veteran.

--> Bill of RIGHTS, not bill of NEEDS <--

Visit my photo album, Vietnam 1968-69 at: http://www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha