Author Topic: To bang or boom?  (Read 644 times)

Offline myronw

• Trade Count: (0)
To bang or boom?
« on: September 30, 2005, 06:32:32 PM »
Hi guys,

This is my first post and I only searched the first few pages, so if these questions have been asked ad nauseum, I apologize...  I only stumbled onto this forum yesterday and haven't been able to stop looking since.  I was sure there must me one out there, but I couldn't find it!

Okay, now the questions...  If you want to buy a cannon strictly for noise making, which type makes the deepest, throatiest boom?  Which type makes the sharpest, bang?  I think I want a deeper toned boom myself.

Also, do any of you have a preference for a supplier?  I think I just want to buy a barrel and make the carraige myself.

Are there any other forums like this out there?

Thanks for a super informative forum,

Myron

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
To bang or boom?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:42:05 PM »
Welcome to the group Myron!!! My Bowling ball mortar is Pretty loud :-D
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
To bang or boom?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:56:29 PM »
I would agree, the bowling ball mortar is the loudest, but only when shooting bowling balls.  It is a flop with blank loads.  Probably an unchambered howitzer would be loudest but it would take a lot of powder, too.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
To bang or boom?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 08:03:39 AM »
Welcome aboard!

All other things being equal, the more powder you can burn, the louder it gets. If your intention is to set off car alarms at 200 yards, it's quite doable.

Spend some time in the "sticky" section of the forum and see what's available. The site sponsors have some great items for sale here.

Offline myronw

To bang or boom?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 09:06:47 AM »
Hi again,

Thanks for the comments.  I guess I should have been more specific and told you that I was thinking of "signal cannon" sizes.  Would a golf ball sized cannon or mortar tend to be the loudest when firing blank loads?  Or cost wise, would a golf ball size cannon compare more to a beer can size mortar.

I apologize for not being clearer in my first post.

Thanks again,

Myron

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
To bang or boom?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 04:57:14 PM »
Myron -

Welcome to the board!

The problem with blanks is that you have to have something with blackpowder to get the powder going and pressure to build up.

When firing a cannon ball it's no problem - and in that case the shorter the barrel the greater the muzzle blast.  Too short a barrel will give very little noise at all - and very short range too.

With blanks I'd recommend something like a 1" bore (a little bigger than 10 gauge) of 8 to 12" or longer in length.  

I don't do a lot of blank firing, therefore give greater heed to the recommendations from those that do.

Will -   200 yards eh?  There's got to be a story.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)