Author Topic: h&r shikari 45/70  (Read 3246 times)

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
h&r shikari 45/70
« on: October 02, 2005, 03:13:50 AM »
i have a h&r shikari model 155 carbine 24inch barrel in excellent condition,wot would it be worth in the states there are not meany here in australia.  
bernie :D  

if its feral its in peril

Offline bbqsoldier

• Trade Count: (0)
Shakiri info
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 12:54:41 PM »
Hi Bernie,

Well I bought mine earlier this year and I swear by it.  I paid $125 to a  dealer who got it in an estate sale.  It's in cherry condition, has strong ejection of brass, a heat treated receiver and has great accuracy and less recoil than I had feared.  Mine has a 28" barrel too.

But for something made 1972 - ?  there is very little to be found on the internet.  The Worcester factory was torn down in the mid 80's  Besides 45.70 it was also available in 44 mag.

The thing I love about H&R is that they are undervalued/appreciated so there are better deals on them than on a better known brand.

Brian

:money:

Offline dodd3

h&r shikari 45/70
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 11:10:52 PM »
how right you are brian i also have a buffalo classic which are so under rated. i have always liked the h&r guns, i think they very good value for. money,here in the land down under the recommended price for a buffalo classic is $875 got mine for $780 when you compare that to a marlin 45/70 which is $1185  and the cowboy 45/70 is $1376 the std handy rifle is recommended price of $590 which you could probably get for $500. all the bolt actions sell fore around $1400 up a pedersoli sharps billy dixon sells for $2290 then good sights on top of that .to rich fore me lol.and you don't have to worry about accuracy the h&r is up there with them all.
bernie

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
h&r shikari 45/70
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 02:04:19 AM »
Hello Bernie,

I've seen two over the past several months.  One at a gun show that was selling for around $175.00 and one at a shop for around $200.00 with a 20 ga bbl.  I think Mt3030 picked up the one with the extra barrel.  He asked me to forward the shop info to him.  Both were in Pennsylvania.

g'day, mate.

EVOC ONE

Offline dodd3

h&r shikari 45/70
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 12:01:38 AM »
thanks evoc one that us price is when converted to ozy dollars is$230 and $263 thats about wot they go for here some times $300 if in really good condition.  
bernie :D

Offline coyotyl

They are "priceless"
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 03:55:16 PM »
I just bought a 45-70 H&R Model 155 Shikari off the used shelf for $125.
Serial # begins with AM so she was made in 1974. I call her my "Poor Boy's Buffalo Classic".  :lol:

The things I like about them:
1. They have a 28" barrel
2. The hammer is swept down
3. They take standard 3/8" dovetail sights front & rear
4. They have none of hammer "transfer bar" B.S. on them.

The things I don't like:
1. The receiver is cast not forged
2. The barrel lug is silver soldered on
(These two facts suggest they shoot factory ammo only or handloads of the Trapdoor Springfield pressure range)
3. She kicks like a mule!

However, they do shoot and shoot well!!!
I recently shot three holes you could cover with a quarter at 100 yds. from the bench, with a new set of open sights.

I also resolved the recoil issue by pouring the buttstock cavity full of #6 lead shot. It is a heavier gun now, but recoil is moderated considerably.

I will be taking her on a "Buffler" hunt in Eastern Wyoming (Nov. 28th), so I'll keep ya posted.

Shikari: A local hunter.

:D

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
h&r shikari 45/70
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 09:08:59 PM »
You missed one of the best features. They have cut rifling. I've owned several and they all have proven very accurate. You are right about the loads, Springfield level only. But even these loads are deadly on deer.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline coyotyl

H&R Shikari 45-70
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 03:23:36 PM »
Aye mt3030,
And they are deadly on buffalo too.

Here's a link to the story:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2j_hunting_stories.htm

Here's a link to their website:
http://www.twinpineranch.homestead.com/

Be advised that TPR's prices have gone up for all hunts.

Hope you enjoyed reading?

CB  8)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
h&r shikari 45/70
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 04:03:16 PM »
Hoping I Enjoyed it? I want to start saving my nickels and dimes and pennies too, everything I can to go there!!! How long do you think it would take to drive there from Cape Cod?  :-D .

Are there any airports around that I could fly into and then rent a car or truck to drive to the ranch in?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley