Author Topic: Sighting in new pistol?  (Read 556 times)

Offline brian 50cal

• Trade Count: (0)
Sighting in new pistol?
« on: October 02, 2005, 09:09:47 AM »
I got a Rugar Mk II and am just getting around to shooting it.  It hits to the left of the target.  The sights are fixed iron.  Is it possible to tap the rear sight lightly to get it closer?  If so which direction should it go?  I have been spoiled with scopes and adj. sights that give the direction to adjust the screw.  Thanks.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Sighting in new pistol?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:16:30 PM »
Not sure about the MKII, but if the rear sights can be drifted, move them in the direction you want the POI to move. If your point of impact is left, then drift the sight left. In my experience it usually takes a pretty good "tap" to get them to move.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline rockbilly

Sighting in new pistol?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 03:46:45 PM »
:D If you plan to bang on it to adjust the sights be sure to use a BRASS drift and a small hammer.  If you have never done this before, then remember, you shouldn't have to move it very much.  Rather than scar the gun, I use a sharp pencil and put a mark on the sight and barrel. This is used as a reference to determine how much the sight is moved.  If you don't have a good vice with padded jaws, lay the gun on a board that is covered with a piece of carpet to prevent damaging the gun.  Have someone hold the gun while you use the drift and hammer.

Good luck.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Sighting in new pistol?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 05:29:48 PM »
move them in the direction you want the POI to move. If your point of impact is left, then drift the sight left.

That is confusing and contradictory.

Move a rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. If you are hitting left move the sight to the right. If you are hitting to the right move it to the left.

For reference you move the front sight in the opposite direction from where you want the bullet to go.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

Sighting in new pistol?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 11:03:06 PM »
I would check my grip. Have you let anyone else shoot the weapon to confirm that your thoughts are correct?
This coming from one who cannot shoot worth a darn but understands the theories.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Sighting in new pistol?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 01:00:28 AM »
Graybeard is correct here.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA