Author Topic: Versa-Pack .410 BBL same as .410 BBL on Pardners & Toppe  (Read 1042 times)

Offline SSS

• Trade Count: (0)
Versa-Pack .410 BBL same as .410 BBL on Pardners & Toppe
« on: October 05, 2005, 04:46:34 AM »
Thinking of selling my .410 barrel off of my Versa-Pack combo and some ammo.  I want to be sure to advertise the barrel right.  Is it essentially a Pardner / Topper barrel as well?  Thanks!

Offline SSS

Versa-Pack .410 BBL same as .410 BBL on Par
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 04:51:19 AM »
Won't let me edit the title. :oops: Should have been "Versa-Pack .410 BBL same as .410 BBL on Pardners & Toppers?"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 07:09:47 AM »
great question, I wish I had the answer. If it is a different barrel with the center of the barrel located off center for the rimfire firing pin to hit the center of the .410 primer I would be interested in buying it, hoping it would fit a sportster frame I have. Does anyone know if that might work? I have a Pardner .410 barrel....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 03:12:56 PM »
I just took both barrels from my versapac and put them on my topper receiver and the topper barrel fit on the verspac receiver as well. I think I remember reading that the factory won't fit any barrels to the versapac receiver though.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 02:45:02 PM »
my old neighbor had a versa-pack 410/22 rim fire. one of the barrel bores, and i do not recall which, was offset at the receiver end to make the firing pin line up with the primer and rim with both cartridges.

i don't know, maybe i'm crazy  :)

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 03:25:39 PM »
Scattergunner you are correct. The 22 barrel if offset so that the firing pin, which is centered to hit the primer on the shot shell, Hits the rim of the 22 cartridge.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 03:50:23 PM »
OK guys, I'm trying to follow this. Does this mean if we have a Pardner or Topper .410 barrel that fits correctly on our Sportster frame that the Sportster firing pin will be centered on the .410 shell primer and we could shoot that .410 barrel off the Sportster reciever?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
The 22 rf barrel will be positioned properly on a SB2 frame to hit the rim of the cartridge.  The .410 barrel will also hit the center of the barrel on a SB2 frame.  So, I think the .410 barrel is a standard shotgun barrel and the 22 RF barrel is a one of a kind that has an offset bore so that it will work with the SB2 frame.
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 11:41:23 PM »
MSP Ret
Andy, I had a Versa Pak about a year ago and experimented moving barrels around.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=288588&highlight=#288588

What I found was that the .22 VP barrel would fit on a 30/30 Topper frame, and a 30/30 SB2 frame, but there was a rather noticeable gap. The .410 barrel fit also, with a gap. But that could just be the way those particular frames were with non-fitted barrels. (Note that the barrel off the Topper 30/30 and the one of the SB2 30/30 didn't fit each other's frames either!)

I believe both VP barrels (22 and 410) should work if they are installed on a properly fit centerfire frame because of the offset of the rimfire barrel. The 410 of course is already centerfire.

And FYI the .22 VP barrel, though it did fit on my .22 Sportster very well, because of the offset, the rimfire firing pin on the Sportster hit in the center of the .22 case with the VP barrel on it. It did not fire a round while on the Sportster.

Therefore the answer to your question:
OK guys, I'm trying to follow this. Does this mean if we have a Pardner or Topper .410 barrel that fits correctly on our Sportster frame that the Sportster firing pin will be centered on the .410 shell primer and we could shoot that .410 barrel off the Sportster reciever?

is a definite maybe! The Sportster firing pin is centered on the .22 offset barrel, not the .410 barrel ... so the answer depends on the diameter of the 410 primer.

If the .410 primer is the same or larger than the diameter of a .22 rim, the firing pin on the Sportster will hit it somewhere.. however if it just hits near the edge of the 410, will it be enough to set it off??? :!:

Got some primed .410 hulls to experiment with?

Wait a minute...  :idea:  ... if that works, does it mean you could shoot .45s in the .410 barrel on the Sportster??? Yikes.. this is getting weird! :shock: :shock:

Maybe you should tie it to a tree with a long string, like you suggested to the guy asking about the 444 in the 44 mag. :wink:

Cheers
Kerry :wink:
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 11:52:05 PM »
By the way, if you click on that link to the past thread, in my posting above, change the numbers at the end of the last two links in that old thread to 529 and 530 to see the proper pictures. The first two ending in 527 and 528 are the proper ones for the text associated with them, but the last two are, for some reason, stuck on the 528 number and just show that picture over again.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 02:55:35 AM »
Thanks for all the great info Kerry. There is a lot to ponder here. One thought that comes up is a Versa Pak rechambered to .410/.45 (? discussed before, is it safe/possible?) and .22 Mag. With the short barrel it looks like a great combo. This will keep my thoughts reeling for a while. Now to try a .410 barrel on a Sportster frame, no primed .410 shells available, perhaps I'll just use some fired cases and try to see the second firing pin marks....<><.... :grin:

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 09:50:30 AM »
I kinda wish I'd kept the one I had last year. I really liked the look of the little straight grip stock. But money was tight then... as it is now.

Still, I want to put together a 357 mag for my 10 yr old to introduce him to centerfire, and provide him with something he might want to hunt with.

I expect I'll end up putting a Youth synth on it, (because of the length of his arms) and a scope, but I'd also like to have him use iron sights and that requires a non Monte Carlo stock. I don't want to cut up a stock if I don't have to - I'm in an apartment and don't have a decent shop like I used to!

I s'pose the way to go is just buy a straight youth stock and re-sell it when he grows out of it.

Anyway if you do try out that 410 on the Sportster frame I'd be interested in the results. You could just put a piece of tape across the head of the fired 410 shell and see where the Sportster firing pin hits.

And the .22 Mag sounds like a great idea (for coyote perhaps? :wink:)

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 10:43:09 AM »
You hit the nail on the head with the coyote guess Kerry!!!....<><.... :grin:

By the way, SSS, what have you decided on selling the Versa Pak .410 Barrel?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 04:32:41 PM »
I would think that neither versapac barrel would work with a sportster receiver since it is designed with the firing pin to hit the rim and not the center.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 07:54:55 AM »
I fear you may be correct Markus, here is the sad news. Neither a .410 barrel (nor a 12 gauge barrel) from a pardner/Topper will work/fire on a Sportster (rimfire) frame. The firing pin strikes much to high to set off the primer. It does not strike the primer at all.
I think then,  that a Versa Pak frame must have a centered firing pin to shoot the .410 barrel since those that have them here state the .22 Barrel is offset (so the firing pin will hit the rim of the .22). Therefore I would think a .410 barrel from a Versa Pak should work on a Pardner/Topper frame but would not work on a Sportster frame. What say you others?
Would someone here that has a Versa Pak please check the breech face and see if the firing pin looks centered in the breech face. Also is the Versa Pak firing pin (or firing pin hole) round or rectangular?

Thanks, still trying to get this sorted out....<><.... :?  :grin:

If the above is correct then a .22 LR Versa Pak barrel could be used on any centerfire frame that it fit and a  Versa Pak .410 barrel could as well. However, neither a Versa pac .22 LR barrel nor a a Versa Pak .410 barrel could be used on a Sportster (rimfire) frame...To me this would make the .22LR Versa Pak barrel more desirable than the .410 Versa Pak barrel.....

SSS, would you like to sell the .22 LR Versa Pak barrel instead of the .410 barrel?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
What fits What!!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 01:53:37 PM »
Sent an email off to Jennifer in CS this evening.  Five questions about what fits what in regards to Versa Pak and Sportster barrels and frames.  Will post the answer on this thread as soon as I get one.
1  Will a 410 barrel from the Versa Pak fit any SB1/SB2 receiver and fire properly?
2  Will the 22 barrel from the Versa Pak fit any SB1/SB2 receiver and fire properly?
3  Will any shotgun barrel fit the Versa Pak receiver?  (Except the 10ga or Ultra 12ga, of course)
4  Can the Sportster barrels be fitted to any other receiver?
5  Which of the affore mentioned actions are factory authorized fittings?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 02:17:27 PM »
That's why you are the "Cookieman!!!", you know where to go for the correct info, please paste the response to this thread....

So SSS. how about selling that .22 LR Versa Pak barrel?....<><.... :grin:

Offline SSS

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 07:29:41 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. :grin:  I'm looking at the .410 BBL now, and it says "Pardner ® Model" over "410 GA. 3" FULL" followed by a 'P' inside a circle.  Sounds like a regular .410 Pardner BBL, no?

Offline SSS

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 07:47:18 AM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
That's why you are the "Cookieman!!!", you know where to go for the correct info, please paste the response to this thread....

So SSS. how about selling that .22 LR Versa Pak barrel?....<><.... :grin:

Sorry MSP Ret, but I shoot the 22LR BBL all the time.  It's a great little rifle.  Sometimes I'll just go through box of Colibrí ( 20gr bullet @ 375fps ) just shooting a little .22LR turkey silhouette spinner in the backyard right here in town.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 12:19:05 PM »
Those Colibri's are great aren't they. I have some regular Colibri's (yellow box) and some Colibri Supers (red box). I have heard of someone in the neighborhood ( :grin: ) who has dispatched over 250 "problem/nusiance" grey squirrels in the back yard in the last year or so with the Colibi Supers and head shots. Others in the neighborhood are doing it also!!!....<><.... :grin:

And for what it's worth SSS, I think it is a regular Pardner/Topper .410 barrel....

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 01:01:15 PM »
Sorry guys, no response today from Jennifer.  She must have had lots of email to open after the weekend.  I always get an answer quicker when I email her mid-week than I do if I send it over the weekend.  Maybe tomorrow.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 02:09:29 PM »
We will just sit here and wait for the "definitive word" Cookieman, and thanks!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline SSS

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 11:10:01 AM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
Those Colibri's are great aren't they. I have some regular Colibri's (yellow box) and some Colibri Supers (red box). I have heard of someone in the neighborhood ( :grin: ) who has dispatched over 250 "problem/nusiance" grey squirrels in the back yard in the last year or so with the Colibi Supers and head shots. Others in the neighborhood are doing it also!!!....<><.... :grin:

And for what it's worth SSS, I think it is a regular Pardner/Topper .410 barrel....

Yeah, I really enjoy those Colibrí rounds.  I shoot the regular ones and the Supers.  I also shoot alot of CCI CB Longs.  I find the CBs too loud for town though.  I shoot all three in my Versa Pack and Henry Youth Lever.

I think that I'll put the BBL on eBay this weekend as a regular Pardner/Topper barrel.  Or make a trade ad for more Colibris.  Haven't decided yet.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 12:23:08 PM »
Stock up on the Colibris while you can, I bought a brick of each. I hear they may not be making them anymore. Can you still get them where you are?....<><.... :grin:

Offline SSS

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2005, 06:38:17 AM »
I've heard about the discontinuation of the Colibris.  Natchez still has them though. http://www.natchezss.com/  I sure hope they don't discontinue the Supers too.  They're great for plinking in a caliche pit if it isn't too windy.  I've even killed some cottontails with them.  I have two bricks of each right now.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Questions for CS
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 11:35:32 PM »
I screwed something up and just figured out that my email to Jennifer in CS was never sent.  I got it sent this morning.  Sorry for the delay.  I should have an answer to the questions that I listed in the previous post within a couple days.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 03:01:33 PM »
Thanks for the update Cookieman, were still here waiting for what she says....<><.... :grin: