Author Topic: How long do you guys let your deer hang?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
How long do you guys let your deer hang?
« on: October 05, 2005, 12:40:40 PM »
I have heard very mixed opinions on this.  I have heard people say to hang it for a week, but what if the weather gets warm?  Seems to me that any blood would be sufficiently drained out in less than 24 hours.  After that it would make better sense to me to section it out and put it in the refrigerator.....then wait another few days to butcher.  Any thoughts... pro or con?
....make it count

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 01:23:11 PM »
Assuming that the hit is through the ribs, therefore not having a bunch of blood-shot, I like to hang it a couple of days!

If the weather turns unusually warm, I only let it hang long enough for the body heat to dissipate! This is usually over night!

If the weather turns cold (real cold), I will cut it up before it has time to freeze!

I've seen people that will hang a deer until mold forms on it before they butcher it out, but that's not for me!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 04:03:02 PM »
I've seen people that will hang a deer until mold forms on it before they butcher it out, but that's not for me!

Me neither.   :eek:   I usually let ours hang for a couple of days in our walk in cooler.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 04:26:49 PM »
I normaly hang my deer until the evening. I then cut it up and put it in a cooler with water and Ice and let it sit in it for a few days changing the water every morning and evening. This gets most of the blood out and keeps t from getting all nasty

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 04:30:34 PM »
I let it hang for at least a day in temps that never reach 50. then I butcher and let it set in a walk-in for 24-36 hours. Then I either freeze or marinate and freeze.
-Willis
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:22:38 AM »
Mine go right to the boucher and I don't know how long it hangs. But it is in a cooler right away.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 03:17:35 AM »
Here in Ar. we usually need to do something quick, when I hunted in Mi. we have bn known to leave them on the meat pole for the whole season some of that is one camp showing off to another camp ha ha, but the temp. is what makes that decision for you. :D    JIM

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 05:52:48 AM »
I keep mine iced (after quartering it) in a cooler. The cold water really draws out the blood. I add more ice as it melts and drain out the bloody ice water as I add more ice. Usually takes about 72 hours and all blood is gone.

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 08:57:23 AM »
To age meat you need a relatively stable temp between 33 and 40, and low humidity.  At home in PA we rarely have these coditions for several consecutive days, at least when I have one down; so I just cut 'em up and get 'em frozen.

I bet you could age individual cuts in your fridge though.

Rummer

Offline NONYA

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 09:42:54 AM »
until Im damn sure they have learned thier lesson! :)
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 10:04:57 AM »
Nonya...you're crazy.  Thanks guys.  I guess I was on the money with my thoughts.  I have a freind here local...him and his mom are very 'old school' and claim it must hang at least a week.  I just cannot see how that would be any good unless I have a walk in cooler like Lawdog has....I might have to move up near him.  Geeze...how spoiled rotten can ya get?
....make it count

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 11:04:17 AM »
Down this far south I can only hang it over night. The purpose of hanging meat a long time is to age it, I am sure most of the blood drips out in 4-6 hours. The longer you age meat the more tender it will be. The natural acids in the body break down the connective tissue and muscles. My grandfather used to hang cows for a month or more in walk in coolers to age the meat. Since I don't have a walk in cooler I open the spout on a big cooler fill it with ice and put the quarters in I am not going to grind up. I just keep adding ice to the top for 7 days.
Molon labe

Offline NONYA

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 11:14:34 AM »
The deer and antelope that I have taken this year went directly to the fridge due to the hot weather,boned em out and put them in the bottom drawers of the fridge for a week before I cut them up and packaged them.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 03:42:21 PM »
During the winter, I usually let em hang for a week if not more. I let my buck hang for two weeks during the winter when the daily highs were at the high 20's and maybe low 30's. Maybe a lil frozen at that point but man that meat was good 8)
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 09:42:37 AM »
I started in the 50's in New york. Everyone hanged for a week....
something about enzymes. I have evolved down south and NY, to fileting the deer on the spot of kill... I cannot tell the difference, as long as the meat is cooled soon. What I can't figure out is all the pics here in the south
with the deer not gutted....in a truck, back yard, etc. = Yuck! Of course I hunt deep, and shun 4x4's... But above hanging, I recommend gutting
immediately. The meat must cool asap!

Offline Bim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »
I read an article about cutting the meat up and freezing  right away.  When you want to eat a certain cut defrost it, and let it age in the fridge for how ever long you want then cook it.
 It makes a lot of sense to me. You have a constant temp, plus bugs and dirt  free.
Bim

Offline nyhunter863

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 04:39:47 AM »
I don't think there is a bit of difference if the deer hangs or is cut up and frozen right away.  The hanging part might in fact even have detrimental effects if the temperatures are not right.  As someone else said, proper and prompt field dressing is what's most important.  I have also hunted in the south and for some reason many hunters there don't field dress their deer for hours.  This can't be good for the quality of the meat.

Offline nyhunter863

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 05:03:55 AM »
I don't think there is a bit of difference if the deer hangs or is cut up and frozen right away.  The hanging part might in fact even have detrimental effects if the temperatures are not right.  As someone else said, proper and prompt field dressing is what's most important.  I have also hunted in the south and for some reason many hunters there don't field dress their deer for hours.  This can't be good for the quality of the meat.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 05:04:53 AM »
:D Normally, it is so hot here that I usually have it quartered and on ice with-in a couple of hours.  At one time I had a walk-in cooler (the box and refrigeration unit off an old ice cream truck) mounted on a trailer.  I would hang a deer in the cooler for 20-30 days at about 34 degrees.  It seemed to take most of the wild taste out of the meat and make it tender.

Offline wijim

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 07:18:11 AM »
i skin and butcher as soon as i get home.  i used to hang em...but honestly....i've never had my venison get gamey or bad in any way.  

it always seems tender....so i dont bother trying to age or hang em for any length of time.

heck i dont even hang em to skin em anymore....i slit the hide just under the head all the way around...hook the head to my trailer ball tie the hide to a rope with the other end tied to my 4 wheeler and drive in reverse until that deer's jamies are removed....lol

Offline Bim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »
Hey Wijim I gotta try that!
Thanks
Bim

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 05:04:30 PM »
Ever been to a great steakhouse and see your steak before they scrape the mold and fuzz off your dinner?

Offline wijim

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 03:02:17 AM »
Quote from: Bim
Hey Wijim I gotta try that!
Thanks

hey it works slick.  if your deer has been sittin awhile...sometimes a front quarter will tear off...lol...but you can finish skinnin that be hand.

but the trick to tying onto that hide is to fold it back over an object and then tie around that hide and the object...i just use an extra trailer ball...its about the right size.  and tie it off in a slip know that will only tighten as you get more pressure on it.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
Hanging deer
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 08:43:32 AM »
There is one reason to hang your deer (that is, for longer than it takes to skin and cut-up) -- this is to promote tenderizing the meat through various decomposition processes.  Decomposition caused by action of enzymes can be good; decomposition caused by action of bacteria is bad.  Bacteria multiply excessively when temperature of the meat is high (try to keep meat below 40 degrees).  Also, bacteria like a moist environment, so keep your meat dry (if it rains, you might want to forgo further hanging and cut the meat up ASAP).

I have read that it is very beneficial for your meat to undergo the process of rigor mortis -- a stage when the joints become very stiff and later relax.  THis process takes place fairly quickly, within 24 hours of death maybe within 14 hours of death.  Further benefits of tenderizing can be achieved by hanging your meat -- under proper conditions of temperature and moisture -- for as much as a week.  Generally I would prefer to hang my deer overnight but usually don't take the trouble to do more than this.  You also have to keep animals away from your deer while it is hanging.

Note that some of the benefits of hanging can be obtained after the meat is skinned and quartered and stored in the refrigerator.  You might wrap the meat with ordinary paper (not the plastic lined freezer paper you may package the meat in) and place it in the refrigerator for gaining the benefits of "hanging."

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 10:14:47 AM »
My deer get boned out in the field, the meat stuck in 2 gallon zip-lock bags, then into my pack to bring home.  If I don't butcher it right off it is put in the freezer.  I'll take a couple of bags out on Thursday and put them in my cooler, then on Saturday they are thawed out enough to work on.  It all tastes good to me, and our Sitka Blacktail are pretty tender eating anyway.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone