Author Topic: Uberti 1873 S.A.  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Billstick

• Trade Count: (0)
Uberti 1873 S.A.
« on: March 01, 2003, 06:18:25 AM »
Looking at the Uberti 1873 B.P. S.A. any comments , good , bad , better ones out there ?

Thanks
Bill

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
Uberti 1873 S.A.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 06:06:43 PM »
Not ried it or seen it at the range.
Don't see a whole lot of point to it, unless you have a holster that fits a Colt SAA or clone and want to use the same holster for cap and ball fun.
I guess the only place it has is that it's cheaper than a Colt SAA or clone and appeals to those who like the looks but can't afford a cartridge gun.
That's a sorry commentary on the state of Colt SAA and clone prices today.
My own Colt SAA was made in 1874. Been in the family for nearly 75 years. It killed two burglars about 1920 at a logging camp near Eatonville, Washington. Two notches on the grip but don't know if they were put there from that incident or an earlier incident.
Imagine my shock to learn it's worth about $4,000!
Cowboy Action Shooting made the price skyrocket. Heck, even a newly made Colt SAA is $1,000 or more if you can find one.
I can sympathize with those who like the looks of the Colt SAA but can't pay the exorbitant price of one. For them, I guess the Uberti 1873 cap and ball is a good alternative.
Frankly, it's a shame that many Americans will never own or even feel the little bit of history we call the Colt Single Action Army. It's a thrill.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Uberti 1873 S.A.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 01:15:30 PM »
See the post below, "Cabela's Uberti Cattleman". I have got plans to get one.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Flint

Uberti 1873 S.A.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 08:20:40 PM »
The gun was originally made for sale in European countries that have banned cartridge handguns.  Cabelas sells them here.  It needs a loading tool to load the cylinder as it has no built in loading lever/rammer.  Cabelas sells that tool for $20.00.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline 445 SUPERMAG

Uberti 1873 S.A.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 07:54:25 AM »
Gatofeo, for someone that has no first hand experence on the gun in question ya sure sound like an expert...lol. As for you not seeing a whole lot of point to having a Uberti Cattleman, dam man dont you know some people just might want another gun to shoot. Not like some precious colt ya gotta hide in a closet! That being said i would put my clone up against your colt, winner takes both! Tin-cans at 50yrds standing, ya best not miss.      BILLSTIC, i suggest you get on you will love it! My cattleman far exceded my expectaions. This gn is now my favorite. Fit + finish is super, the action and trigger pull just flat out sweet! Get the loading tool if ya cant make one ( i've made 2 ) i also load my '58 with the tool, you can see better and its quicker! GET ONE
See my revolver stands.             http://community.webtv.net/V445SuperMag/BLACKPOWDERPISTOL

Offline Flint

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 10:37:40 AM »
Gatofeo, as far as 1873s are concerned, clones at least, come to a CAS shoot and see lots of them.  There were 109 shooters at yesterdays shoot in Piru, California, most of whom carried a brace of Colts, Ubertis,  Cimarrons, Hartfords or such, yes real Colts are expensive, but they are out there shooting too.  There are more people shooting SAA now than IPSC style auto shooters down here, at least.  Last I saw, SASS is pushing close to 50,000 members.  Notwithstanding, I also think the 1873 percussion is off track, but if it shoots, people will buy it.  Thought about it myself as a new toy is always fun, and you can't have too many guns.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Roy Cobb

• Avid Poster
Uberti 1873 S.A.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 08:21:41 AM »
I own two of these guys both 5.5" one Bisely the other standard both shoot very, well you can load the cylinder with a starting ram if you don't have the tool, though you have to fight it quite a bit, I bought the tool from Cabela's it is Pietta the pistols are Uberti the base pin diameter is different
Soooooo you have to turn the pin on the tool down a bit to fit the Uberti
Cabelas no longer sells these from Uberti they only sell the Pietta models now and according to the store and the web they are out of stock with no plans to reorder, I recommend using the Lee BP pistol 44 bullets in them
(More accurate than a ball) also Wonder wads or punched cards work best
777 works fine and is a cinch to clean unlike BP or Pyrodex and no rotten egg smell. I use around 35 Grains of Pyro P or 30 Grains of 777 if at all possible to find get stainless nipples.