Author Topic: Nikon ProStaff or Leupold VX-I?  (Read 941 times)

Offline BradCoPAHunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Nikon ProStaff or Leupold VX-I?
« on: October 07, 2005, 02:31:26 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what type of scope to mount on my Remington 870 Police model shotgun that I'm going to use for deer hunting.  I was originally drawn to something like a 1.5-4.5x20, but now I'm thinking of a 2-7x32.  While I'd like to get something like a Leupold VX-II or Nikon Monarch, I just don't have that kind of money to spend right now.  

The scopes I'm considering are the Nikon ProStaff Shotgun Hunter in 2-7x32 and the Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 (comes in both a shotgun and regular model).  The Nikon costs less by $70-$80 and has click adjustments.  The Nikon is parallax adjusted for 75 yards.  The Leupold has friction adjustments.  In the shotgun specific model the Leupold is also parallax adjusted at 75 yards; in the standard version it's not set at 75 yards.  Both have a full lifetime warranty.

I'm leaning slightly toward the Leupold (good reputation, and if I get the non-shotgun model, I could later swap it onto a rifle).  However, I've read a lot of good things about the Nikon (plus it's cheaper, and it has the 1/4 MOA click adjustments).  What are your experiences with both scopes, and what do you recommend?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 06:41:53 PM »
I have a Leupold VXI on my Encore Muzzleloader. All I can say is it works great. What would you expect, it's a Leupold.  :D  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 12:54:01 PM »
I have both scopes got them out for a side by side today the leupold is clearer and has a bigger field of view leupold a little brighter in low light also. never had a problem with either one

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 04:07:30 PM »
I went to Oshmans three years ago to buy a "Rifleman" from Leupold and they were also selling the Nikon Pro Staff.  I looked thru several each to decide and the Nikon was noticably clearer. I bought it and it still resides on my 270, it's been in the mountains twice and has hunted in Oklahima, Texas and Arkansas. It holds zero as the rifle never needs adjusting except when I change loads and the adjustments are precise, repeatable and reliable. I just don't need a better scope. 5 whitetails, a mule deer, an elk and three feral hogs. Oh yeah 4 or 5 coyotes. I shot the 270 today, it was exactly where I left it hitting 3 inches high at 100 yards and is going with me elk hunting next weekend.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.