Author Topic: Hardest Kickin' Rifle Ya Ever Shot?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Hardest Kickin' Rifle Ya Ever Shot?
« on: October 08, 2005, 01:35:37 AM »
I'm wondering because I've shot plenty of 45/70 with hot handloads.  Now I'm thinking about a .375 H&H for Elk.  Oh I know, it's plenty more than I need, but I LOVE recoil, and I don't flinch, so why not?  If it don't really go BOOM, then I feel like I miss out on some extra fun. How much more will this kick me than those hot 45/70s?

Anyone else 'round here enjoy lots of recoil, or am I just weird?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jhm

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 03:15:12 AM »
460 weatherby nuff said :oops:  :D    JIM

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
I shot...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 03:49:21 AM »
I shot a rifle chambered for a .460 Weatherby necked up to 50 caliber - there was not trouble telling when it went off at all.  I have a ..460 Weatherby now....that seems to be enough.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 05:30:13 AM »
:D Some folks are just suckers for punishment.  Several years ago I bought a .300 Winchester Mag in a model 70 for elk hunting.  I am a big boy, but that gun would rattle your teeth.  I didn't notice the kick too much while hunting, but I hated to take the gun to the range and zero it.  I still have a couple of "big bores", but I rarely shoot them.  I don't hunt anything that I can't take with my .270, so today that is as big as I go.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 09:57:58 AM »
Hey rockbilly,  did you have a good recoil pad?  I've found that something like a "kick-ezee" magnum pad can really take the "bite" out of heavy recoil.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline red_ford_truck

im with rockabilly
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 10:02:52 AM »
i favor my 270 winny.........but a 30-06 will do too.
nothing ive ever hunted will survive a properly placed bear claw, partition nor a-frame from either caliber.
see no real reason to suffer recoil unnecessarily.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 10:55:36 AM »
The one that "hurt" me the most was an imported and poorly made copy of a Sharps. Had a curved steel butt on it and I shot it with some likely heavier than I should have loads at the upper end of the Marlin list. Man did that ever hurt. My shoulder was black, blue, yellow and purple for over a week from just a few shots. Didn't do that again.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 01:57:12 PM »
When I was 14 or so I shot my uncle's 45-70. He rolled his own.

I didn't land on my backside but it took 3 or 4 steps to get my ballance.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
hard kickers
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 05:29:13 AM »
Mine wasn't a rifle but a shotgun.  A "buddy" gave me his double barrel 10 ga. to use in the goose pits.  The reason for his generosity?  Both barrels were going off with one trigger pull.  This was some time ago(I've recovered) so the load was 2 oz. of lead in each barrel.  That's a quarter pounder for ya'!
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline BamBams

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 07:38:01 AM »
Wow!  I can only imagine what both barrels of a 10ga would do - probably knock me right on my butt!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 07:41:23 AM »
50-100 Sharps and the MI with the Grenade launcher from the shoulder several times in row.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline powderman

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 11:51:35 AM »
An old 8mm mauser with a steel butt plate and some surplus ammo that had really gotten stout. Hardest kicking shotgun was an old Iver Johnson champion 12 ga, even light loads hurt. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 02:12:19 PM »
500 Jeffery - 535 grain Woodleigh softpoint at 2450 fps.  106 ft-lbs of recoil from the 10 lb rifle.  I've still got and still shoot it quite often.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 02:45:49 PM »
Barrett Light 50 with a "test" brake.  The brake wasn't very effective compared to the standard clamshell brake.  Firing one of these without a brake can cause retina detachment.  Ugh.   :eek:

Offline spraynpray

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 04:27:51 PM »
30-06 Remington ADL.  Better known as the PainDL. :)
Happiness is a warm CETME.

Your deer rifle will never be banned... they will call it a terrorists sniper rifle first.

CETME owners group #164
http://members.createforum.net/index.php?mforum=entertainmentce

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 05:24:32 PM »
:roll: Don't even mention a 10 gauge shotgun.  Back in the late fifties I was hunting with a group in Neshoba County Miss.  They ran deer with dogs, since I was a "cowboy"  (ya know, everybody from Texas is a cowboy) I was asked to ride one of the horses and follow along with the dogs.  Someone gave me a 10 ga double barrel so I could shoot from the horse. Hummm, I should have know something was wrong.  The dogs ran a buck past me, I stood up in the stirrups and fired, the horse bucked, I fell off and darn near killed my self.  They didn't tell me if I pulled the front trigger both barrels would go off.  My shoulder and butt were both sore for months

Offline SeekHer

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 07:33:22 AM »
Let's see--we'll start with a .416 Rigby and a .425 Westley Richards, and then a .450 Rigby, and a .458 Win Mag, and a .458 Lott, and of course a .470 Nitro Express, and a .500 Nitro Express, and a 500 Jeffrey, and a .505 Gibbs, and a .577 Nitro Express and a bunch of other old European & British big bore stopping rounds...Thankfully the Nitros were all from big, heavy double guns so they weren't all that bad...the rest you knew about...after 5 or 6 shots from any of them you begin to feel it and it feels like a 10 bore on steroids.  I'm too chicken to try the .600 Nitro Express let alone the .700 NE...

One that really hurts is a 1895 Winchester Lever shooting the .405 Win without a recoil pad on that crescent butt--ouch...

Was eight and a half and "Grampers" decided to let me go goose shooting with the menfolk and gave me an old Long Tom 12G 3" single shot with a 36" barrel to use...use it, I couldn't even lift it...told me to place it on the fence post or wire (whichever was better) as a rest and just hunker down behind it, aim and shoot...worked fine until I did shoot...had a bruise from my eyes to below my chin, my whole shoulder area and the base of my spine and butt from where I landed sitting on the rocks about 5 feet back of where I was standing... and the fate worse that death was that I missed the bird, wasting one of his very special goose reloads...Boy, did "Nana" ever give him heck when we got back to the farmhouse.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks
if you make certain inanimate objects illegal
their criminal misuse will disappear!

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
recoil
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 11:51:32 AM »
Featherweight 375 H&H with factory loaded 300 grainers.  Kicked worse than my 458 Winchester.

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 12:56:44 PM »
Maybe I'm a lightweight but the gun what hurt me the most was a Rem 870 loaded with 3 magnum slugs. Not so bad standing up but off a bench I got beat up pretty bad.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 01:03:26 PM »
i had a mossberg 500 12 gauge that with 3" slugs actually brought tears to my eyes after 10 shots or so off the bench. it actually hurt badly enough i sold the damn thing. even had a good pad on it and everything.

not fun.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 01:09:05 PM »
That reminds me of the time I patterned turkey loads in a Browning A-5 lite.
20 rounds and a broken stock later I went home to get chewed out by the other half for breaking her dads shotgun. Then I took off my shirt and she really went off about the soccer ball sized bruise.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 03:36:46 PM »
.06 Springfield with steel butt plate.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 02:20:47 PM »
338 mag in Ruger bolt action. I`m over 300 lbs, and that thing brought tears to my eyes. Sold it about 3 months later and 60 rds, to a Doctor, that was going to Africa to hunt.

bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 03:10:55 PM »
Browning semi auto 12 ga. my first gun. Got it in the early 60's.That thing killed at both ends. A day of dove hunting was like stopping  a mack trunk with your teeth. :shock:
I had it at a turkey shoot back when they had those things. and a guy used it for his shot. When he pulled the trigger it mashed  his nose and the side of his face. I dont know how he got his nose in the way. but I went over and got the gun from him while he was holding the side of his face and see if he needed any help. After a while he looked at me and said "what did I do with that gun did I lay it down throw it down or what I cant remember."     That thing rocked his world.
I still have it and its not for sale but I dont use it. Every now and then I will get it out and clean it and kind of look at like we do our dads   They beat the crap out of us but we still love them.    briarpatch

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 03:17:52 PM »
8mm Remington Mag custom 5 1/2 pound mountain rifle. It took me 6 months to get rid of the flinch. I'll probably get a twich just for remembering it. A mans gotta be sadistic to own something like that. I've had a broken heart that didn't hurt that much.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Dubious Dan

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 10:35:55 PM »
Not much compared to what others have shot. A .50 muzzle loader with a 450gr Lee Maxiball over 90 grns Pyrodex. The rifle was a TC Hawken with a curved brass plate.

I'm pretty much a recoil wimp and a 30 06 with a recoil pad is about my limit.

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 01:41:46 AM »
I've shot allot of rifles but the worse kicking gun/guns have been shotguns.

I don't think it’s the kick because these shotguns didn't kick but SLAPPED ya with a stinging pain.

I've hurt myself shooting my 460WBY not holding it properly but it never hurt like a shotgun slap/sting (well yet so far)

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 08:11:04 AM »
I've never let recoil affect my accuracy much.  I remember shooting a .30-06 Enfield from the bench and it totally punished my shoulder.  But I was able to withstand the pain and still get decent groups.  To me there is a difference between bench shooting and shooting from the shoulder.  When I shoot standing and let the whole body respond to the recoil it is much more acceptible.  Stock design also enters into this.

I remember a shooting buddy that had a serious case of 'flinchitus' and couldn't even shoot a .270 without closing his eyes just before the shot.  Handling recoil from a rifle, to me is mostly a state of mind.  This guy was about 6'4" and 240 pounds and he was still afraid of the recoil from a .270!

I currently shoot a .375 H&H on occasion, and have shot really hot handloads in a .45-70 Ruger Number One.   But, 12 guage magnum shotgun loads rattle my cage like nothing else I have ever experienced.  Maybe partly because the gun is fairly light.

Handgun recoil is another matter.  My elbows start aching after about 15-20 shots from my .44 mags.  I can still shoot good groups with them but I pay for it.

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005, 06:53:32 PM »
Remington 7mm Mag, 200 gr.rounds, did a nice scope check on my nose on the third round sighting the scope in (hint: seat flip-up scope caps ALL the way on after mounting the scope). I HATE synthetic stocks, especially on big calibers. They don't absorb the recoil well, and they're fugly as hell, IMHO. But I just couldn't pass up this deal, so I bought it, and of course, ya gotta shoot yer guns! Won't be plinkin' with this bad boy, but will bring it on this years bear hunt and next years elk hunt, if I get drawn. Makes me want to get a .300 Weatherby Mag now, just fer (censored word) and giggles. Anyone have a nice wood stock for an ADL 7mm Mag long action let me know. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline jrdudas

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 12:30:12 PM »
This may not really count, but it never-the-less kicked the snot out of me and my buddies in Basic Training (US Army).   The M1 had the option of mounting a gernade launcher on it.  There was also an add-on sight that affixed to the side of the rifle.  We fired it from three positions; prone, kneeling, and standing.  We were told to lean as far into the rifle as possible without losing our balance. From the prone position it just hurt a lot.  From the standing position it knocked me back about three steps.  From the kneeling position it put me on my butt.  Once we experienced the kick the instructor told us that most folks, when in actual combat, put the rifle butt on the ground and use Kentucky windage and elevation to find the target. After that experience the kick of any other shoulder gun is secondary.    

JR