Author Topic: Salvaged lead from water mains/plumbing.  (Read 1013 times)

Offline gar hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Salvaged lead from water mains/plumbing.
« on: October 12, 2005, 03:51:24 AM »
I'm getting a bunch of salvaged plumbers lead and don't really know what I'm getting.  

Is it pure lead?

Thanks

Offline Forest T

salvaged plummers lead
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 04:13:48 AM »
gar hunter if this is from sewer pipes you do have to be real careful in handling it you can catch some nasty things from it a friend gets it and gives it a good clorox bath before he touches it and he still wares gloves to the heavy rubber kind now with all that said it more than likely pure lead I hope this helps  8) Forest T

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 05:12:49 AM »
I can't see why they would have added anything to it, plumers lead is required to be soft and pliable, and pure lead is the softest.  However, being that some of this stuff could go back nearly 100 years or more...there is no telling what could be in it.  Like forest said...be careful.  But then ALL lead contains LEAD, so you should be using adequate ventelation to start with and wash hands and face when done.
....make it count

Offline powderburner

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 05:19:45 PM »
dont worry about it just stand upwind when you flux and dont lick your fingers while loading the pot.............. Dean

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 08:15:13 PM »
Old plumber's lead could have solder in it too.  Some drains and sink plumbing made under the older 'Lead Codes" as an old plumber friend calls them, were 'wiped' with solder to join them together. It was a big thing with plumbers years ago. Solder was used because it melts at a lower temperature than lead and stays semi-liquid longer than pure lead, allowing the plumber to wipe the lead joints.  Plumbers aren't stupid, so they won't throw away a little solder contaminated lead, and will recycle it into their next cast iron joint or whatever. Mistakes go back into the pot.  Yes the solder wouldn't help by being hard, but it could, and has, ended up in cast iron drain joints.  If it's soft to a fingernail, it's probably mostly lead, if it's harder, it's got solder in it. Get a piece of pure lead and compare. As to the pipes being dirty, it always good to observe hygiene with gloves and face protection, and washing frequently. Melted lead has no germs. :wink:

P.S. Plumbum is Latin for Lead, gives us the chemical symbol Pb for lead and the name Plumbers for those who work lead pipes.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 03:28:13 PM »
:D Hey there casters,

It should go without saying, but probably the single biggest thing to watch out for in dealing with scrap, is the possibility of some water being trapped somewhere.

That can wreck your whole day faster then I can tell about it!

Be safe and keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline JPH45

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 01:40:14 PM »
That stuff is probably rotten and a biohazard too. Send it to me quick for proper disposal :-D
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 06:48:07 AM »
Definitely stay upwind from this stuff when you first melt it.  I got some several years ago with lye (drain cleaner) residue on it and it was a real unpleasant surprise when I melted it.   Chances are that other than that it is pure lead.
RJ