Author Topic: Cheatermk3: ???'s  (Read 298 times)

Offline Duce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cheatermk3: ???'s
« on: October 12, 2005, 06:01:19 PM »

Cheatermk3: Here's the skinny.  I started with a barrel available through the barrel accessary program, difference between steel or lead shot is just the tube included. As for a scope mount the chamber portion of the barrel should be .190 thick, this allows .100 deep holes. These must be bottom drilled to depth and tapped with a bottom tap.

As for rifle sights on my turkey barrel, I started with a set of sights removed from a Tracker II, got them through either the classifieds here or E-bay.  If memory serves me correct a 12ga. barrel has a nominal diameter of .720. Mic the outside of the barrel at the barrel lug this runs .950. Subtract .720 from .950=.230 divide by 2 = .115. On this hole I only drilled .090, mounting the rear sight with one 6/48 screw. This done I tinned the barrel snugged the screw down and sweated the sight to the barrel, using low heat silver solder. The front sight is nothing more than a standard handi rifle sight. It uses  5/56 screw, I rough measured how far the choke tube extended back and mounted the sight behind it so it had full threads.

Now the warning, I worked 25 years mounting scopes and repairing firearms. All this work was done in a barrel drilling jig, with a drill press that had good depth stops on it. I don't use 3" or 3 1/2" shells, it hurts to much. This job is best left to an advanced hobbest machinist, or an experienced gunsmith. Be Careful You can Ruin A Barrel Or Worse Get Hurt. Good Luck<><  :-) Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Cheatermk3: ???'s
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 03:42:04 AM »
Thank you very much for the information.  If we try this the work will be done by a competent 'smith.