Author Topic: Your favorite hunting bullet for 45-70  (Read 1021 times)

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Your favorite hunting bullet for 45-70
« on: October 13, 2005, 04:30:43 AM »
Well, the Montana season is just a week away as are seasons for other states and for some conversation, how about we talk about your favorite bullet for the 45-70.

Don't want to talk about powder, primer, brass and the like ... just bullets and what you look for in performance.

Last year I took a small buck with a 350gr. Hornady round nose.

This year I am sticking to a cast bullet for deer and elk.  410gr. RNFPGC.  A mild load at about 1300fps. with a LARGE meplat.  I'll stick to shots under 200 yards.  I have practiced all summer with it and am confident at that yardage.

What are you using this year and why?
:D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 04:38:44 AM »
I haven't taken any big game with cast bullets yet...if I was to use them in my 45-70...I would use the 405 grain Cast performanc WLNCG...it's very accurate out of mine...

My favorite bullet for the 45-70...is the Nosler 300 grain Partition...it rocks...and works fantastic on whitetails...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:59:22 AM »
45-70 NEF with 32" BC barrel.  Hornady 300 grain hollow point.  Reloads with a bunch of powder behind it.  VERY effective bullet on deer, no tracking involved....  Looking forward to using it on an elk in a week here in Montana, unless I get one with my bow this weekend....
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 05:07:40 AM »
Matt,

How does that Hornady 300HP perform on deer?  Any expansion?  I have a few loaded up to about 1900fps and have never used them on game.  Very accurate ...
:D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 05:12:39 AM »
Haven't used Hornady's 300 grainer...but I am carrying some of the Federal factory 300gr. loads with the Speer 300 HC with me this year...it shoot real good...and is supposed to work great on them...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 05:27:04 AM »
They expand beautifully on deer, pick your shot though.  My father used the same load in his Browning High Wall and shot a whitetail lengthwise and his shot went a bit high, lost the entire length of a backstrap on one side and it still exited. :eek:
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 06:10:18 AM »
Quote from: mattparliament
They expand beautifully on deer, pick your shot though.  My father used the same load in his Browning High Wall and shot a whitetail lengthwise and his shot went a bit high, lost the entire length of a backstrap on one side and it still exited. :eek:

I use a much slower speed using a 405-gr with no meat damage because of the slow fps.  I just don't get any blood shot damage.  :-D

Actually the Lee .459-405-HB bullet is perfect for the H&R 22" Handi-Rifles and the 32" Buffalo Classic 45-70's if that is what your using.

Here is a target shot several years ago, using the Lee .459-405-HB bullet shot at 200 yards with the Buffalo Classic rifle.

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 08:28:11 AM »
Anyone loading up the Speer 350gr bullet?.  I have a test load that should get close to 2100fps?  Hope to clock it in a week or so.

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 10:29:30 AM »
Quote from: Zeke Menuar
Anyone loading up the Speer 350gr bullet?.  I have a test load that should get close to 2100fps?  Hope to clock it in a week or so.

ZM

Zeke, just curious... what kind of bloodshot damage you get with that suped up bullet going 2100fps.

I'm of the old school for slow moving heavy bullets, that cause no bloodshot damage, is the only reason I ask.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 01:07:34 PM »
what size groups are you guys shooting at 100yds with cast boolits?i shot them off and on all summer out of my 357max but just no luck :? im going to work some more with cast boolits next summer.im about done shooting at the range for this year now that the bow season is underway :-D  and then the upcomming gun season :-D  and then the muzz season :-D and then the cold and snow season :shock:

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 01:59:51 PM »
Quote from: jeff223
what size groups are you guys shooting at 100yds with cast boolits?i shot them off and on all summer out of my 357max but just no luck :? im going to work some more with cast boolits next summer.im about done shooting at the range for this year now that the bow season is underway :-D  and then the upcomming gun season :-D  and then the muzz season :-D and then the cold and snow season :shock:

Jeff223

The picture of the bison target above was shot with cast bullets at 200 yards... that is very acceptable hunting group.  When I put my animal targets out for shooting....  

All I care about is that one shot that hits the kill zone, not a group shot.  Dang animals aren't gonna sit there and pose for me anyways  :-D

Offline jeff223

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 02:39:31 PM »
i see that you shot that on a animal target and the group looks very good.it looks like you have good luck with cast boolits.i just have trouble with them,they dont shoot like a jacketed boolit.maybe someday i will come onto a good load boolit combo

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 03:14:33 PM »
Quote from: jeff223
i see that you shot that on a animal target and the group looks very good.it looks like you have good luck with cast boolits.i just have trouble with them,they dont shoot like a jacketed boolit.maybe someday i will come onto a good load boolit combo

Yep sure did... I make my bison paper targets, large bison cardboard targets and several smaller bison targets.... did I tell you I like shooting at bison targets  :)

But with cast bullets, are you pushing them fast.... I ask because sometimes depending on the hardness they won't work good.  Super hard cast bullets like Cast Performance, Beartooth Bullets and the like will work extremely well fast.

But a cast bullet like this cast 20:1 or softer of 30:1 or 40:1:

Work best at BP vel. fps.  Even with smokeless loads keeping the fps down like you would get with a BP load.

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 05:02:08 AM »
i used the lee 500 rnfp gas check for hunting with a 30to1 mix with good results, until i got the lee 500r that is wot i use now, it is very accurate with velocitys in the 1350 to 1450 fps in 30to1 mix good expansion on gots and pigs it drops them in there tracks if i do my bit  and put it in the boiler room.  
bernie :D  

if its feral its in peril

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 08:33:18 AM »
Quote from: The Montanan
Quote from: Zeke Menuar

ZM

Zeke, just curious... what kind of bloodshot damage you get with that suped up bullet going 2100fps.

I'm of the old school for slow moving heavy bullets, that cause no bloodshot damage, is the only reason I ask.

It does major damage to pop cans and tennis balls.  Can't say on critters.  Speer's propaganda says this bullet needs to be pushed beyond 1900fps to expand properly.  

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline jeff223

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 11:32:08 AM »
all the cast i have shot were made from straight wheel weights and were gas checked.i guess i push them fast,maybe to fast.i need more time with the cast bullets but they will have to wait till spring