Author Topic: neck thickness...  (Read 742 times)

Offline kirkwhitaker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.kirkwhitaker.com
neck thickness...
« on: March 02, 2003, 03:08:11 AM »
i am working with making some 219 zipper brass outta 25-35 brass i picked up...what is the proper thickness range for necks ..they mic at .012..a round with a seated bullet has an neck od of .250 ..so it is below max....since it is, i assume i DO NOT have to turn or ream...if my od was .252 (max dia.) or greater i would have to turn...is this assumption correct...brass made from both 25-35 and 30-30 mic out about the same...looks like this will be a fun round  to play with...still want to know what to do with 748...winchester was no help...223 rem goes from about 24 to 28gr (50/52gr)in the old hornady manual...figured i would start at 25 and work up to a max of about 29 to 30...watching pressure/chornograph closely...if it matches or exceeds 223 vel with same bullet /powder by 100-150fps...i will be happy and stop...this would match data and velocity i have for it from other powders....
any thoughts?
kw[/list]
www.kirkwhitaker.com is up and running
drop on by!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
neck thickness...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 06:55:51 AM »
Hi Kirk, you probably will be OK; most factory ammo comes in at .012-.014 anyway. But just to be safe you might want to make a cerrosafe cast of the chamber and compare it to a loaded round. That's not a bad idea to do anyhow, to see how big and how long your throat is, especially if you're going to shoot any cast bullets through it. I've got to do that to my new 6X47 for the same reasons - I don't know if it's got a turned neck chamber in it or not. The fun of getting an old bench gun going after the last owner has died - I can't ask any questions. Hope you enjoy that new Zipper!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline kirkwhitaker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.kirkwhitaker.com
sounds like fun...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 12:43:03 AM »
sounds like fun...did you ever get you any 222 mag brass? Is Remington still making any? I know they don't list it anymore in the factory ammo section...but 500 cases would last you a lifetime. I imagine that they are still making it..if not, i believe that there is a metric round that is longer that the 222 mag that can be used to make cases...don't remember what it is off the top of my head.. Anyhows...keep me informed on your progress. Barrel should be here this week...plan check the couple of cases i have made in it and if they fit proper...make about 50 and have fun. Load up a moderate load with a box of 52gr bullets i picked up and go plinkin to fireform them...then work on accuracey...got to get the cases done first though...will probably use 4064 or 748 to begin with..they seem to recommend 4895...blc2...3031...all the moderate stuff...ttyl
kirk
www.kirkwhitaker.com is up and running
drop on by!