Author Topic: Best hunts for the older hunter  (Read 1509 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Best hunts for the older hunter
« on: October 15, 2005, 01:27:31 PM »
I'm guessing that stand hunting for whitetails is the least difficult hunt for a senior citizen, and pronghorns probably come in a close second. ( I hunted pronghorns this year and Texas whitetails last year) I'm out of the sheep hunting business and won't go elk hunting again because to do it right you've got to cover a lot of ground and it is usually in steep up and down terrain. Mule deer can be either relatively easy or difficult, depending on where you hunt them. Prairie mulies can be hunted using spot and stalk tactics, much like hunting pronghorns. The mountain variety can be a tough hunt.  I could still hunt moose if I wanted - my B.C. hunt for them years back was on horseback and they can also be hunted from boats. I don't know about barren ground caribou - I've heard that it can take a lot of walking and I've heard you can sit and wait for them so I'm not sure what to think.
Any other "experienced" hunters out there? What kind of hunts do you prefer?

Offline Stickers

Senior Hunt or any age
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 01:40:20 PM »
I go to Saskatchewan for large (300lb.) Whitetails out of treestands.  Sleep in regular bed , breakfast, supper.  ATV's provided.  This is one of the best hunts I have ever been on.

Here is the down side $4000.00 for week and cold weather.  I see 150-250 deer a year and it is awesome.  Their are also 400-500lb bears, black, blond and cinnamon.
That hunt is about 3500.00.  

Two years ago I took a 275lb, 1613/4 B&C.  This is Jurrasic Park for Whitetails.

Stickers

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 05:14:55 PM »
Between feet ruined as a teenager that will not let me stand or walk for more than 2-3 hours, arthritic knees that don't last as long as the feet now and lungs that are gone in less than 100 yards I find sitting on my butt and not far from the means of transportation that got me there mandatory these days. I have way too many dizzy spells and tend to fall down a lot so trees are no longer a consideration for me.

I find exotics to be a lot of fun and can be taken from ground blinds or easily accessed raised blinds. Axis deer given the same exact setting are wiser and more wary than whitetail deer. Fallow can be seriously dumb or quite aware of their surroundings. I think it depends on the way they have been handled. Blackbuck antelope and auodad are super alert and generally quite sporting in most any situation. If you like sheep think about auodad and muflon from blinds. Both are very wary and not easily fooled generally. Coriscan often can be petted.

If you like a lot of shooting you might try prairie dogs. Not much hunting in it but a lot of shooting and a lot of fun.

You might want to look at bear hunting over bait also.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 11:35:03 AM »
Here are my thoughts:
1) Pronghorn. Let the outfitter know your limitations up front and they can work with you to make a good hunt.  I went on a guided trip a couple of years ago and they had all kinds of people in camp, and everyone had a good time.

2) Black bear from a stand and maybe some spot and stalk. They do the spot and stalk in British Columbia in areas where bears are plentiful. I have not been on one of these, but it is worth asking about.

3) Mule deer and pronghorn combination hunt in Wyoming.

4) Hunting in a good reputable game preserve. Animals are abundant so you may want to use this as an opportunity to use a new kind of weapon to you, like black powder or handgun or archery.  Don't think it's necessarily easy either. It can be quite challenging if you're after a particular kind of animal.  I personally liked the mouflon sheep hunt the best. These are beautiful animals an make nice mounts.

5) Wingshooting in one of those places where there are lots of birds, like the South African grain fields, and Argentina.  Maybe Mexican ducks too. Airfare to Yucatan is pretty reasonable. I haven't done it, but it would be worth looking into.

6) Varmint shooting. I've been prarie dog shooting a couple of times and like it. It's a great way to develop long distance shooting skills.

7) Handgunning for squirrels. If you think of hunting as a state of mind, this is a great sport.

8) Alligators in Louisiana or Florida. I think they're cheaper in Louisiana (if they didn't all blow away in the hurricanes.)  Seems interesting and you get a cool hide for your collection.

9) Bison. This can be lots of walking or a little walking, kind of like pronghorn hunting. Some ranchers have deals where you can take a cow or a "broken horn bull". They're a lot smaller and cheaper than the big trophy bulls and you get 300 to 400 pounds of good meat.
Safety first

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 05:37:14 AM »
I would be making freinds with as many farmers as possible.  If you get to know them, they will welcome you to take out some of the vermin that destroy their crops.  I hunt in a local orchard, and I also do Carpentry work for the guy, and I give hime a slightly reduced rate in consideration that I am getting easy meat, and he loves me for thinning out the herds.  I got a beautiful 8 point buck a few weeks back...and he dosen't like the meat or even want any of it.  In two weeks I will be back out there for a Bull Elk.  They are just sick of them.  I usually take a good book and a Guiness and I just sit and wait till dusk, or sneak in in the dark in the morning and sit by a tree.
....make it count

Offline Special Ed

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 06:26:14 AM »
I have a friend that goes Bison hunting every year at the Lower Brule Indian reservation in South Dakota. Not a very stressful hunt nor is alot of walking required (usually). Reasonably priced it you don't want a trophy bull. They also field dress & transport your kill to the local meat locker for processing.
My friend takes a medium size bull & usually has a hanging weight of 500 to 600 pounds.
Guided Walleye fishing on the Missouri river while your there.
Bison is also excellent table fare.

Ed

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 05:33:25 AM »
Not knowing where you are makes an answer more difficult but....my father who is a cancer survivor and very limited in mobility goes with me every year. We hunt prairie mule deer and antelope on private land with access provided by my bro in law or one of his many neighbors. It is for sure that when I pull up to a strange farm to ask permission and explain the circumstances I am rarely if ever denied. Most often land owners will help position my father to known travel routes that require little if any walking and clue us in on best times to be there.
In this state it is also possible to get a lifetime permit to allow a hunter (based on a doctors diagnoses) to shoot from a vehicle. While this is not ideal and requires a very competent driver it may be an option.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 04:31:44 AM »
Slowing down is not a bad thing. Especially in hunting. While I am far from a senior citizen, aching knees and back have slowed me down but have also made my hunts more enjoyable. Now that I am not moving so fast I have become more in tune with my surroundings and see as much and often more game than I ever have. I have learned that those areas we walk past thinking they are void of game hold much more than we realize. We are just moving to fast to see it.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline onecoyote

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 04:45:41 AM »
I'm a senior and I still hunt, I just walk up hill a little slower. Hunting big game can be tuff at any age.
I've been calling predators for years, they usually come to me. True, you probably won't want to eat them.  If you want some exciting hunting, give it a try. :wink:
New Mexico Predator Callers Asso.
High Desert Predator Callers.
California Varmint Callers Asso.
So-Cal Varmint Callers Asso.

Offline wipartimer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 01:09:34 PM »
Don't forget hogs.  Most of the Texas hunts I've been on I was driven to the blind, shoot over bait, sleep in beds and get hot meals and showers between hunts.
Mike

How can one truly understand nature without participating?

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 10:56:02 PM »
Quote from: onecoyote
I'm a senior and I still hunt, I just walk up hill a little slower. Hunting big game can be tuff at any age.
I've been calling predators for years, they usually come to me. True, you probably won't want to eat them.  If you want some exciting hunting, give it a try. :wink:
I like your thinking.  I just turned 64 seems like every year when I go hunting elk the hills just get alittle steeper.  I figure when I get old I'll just hunt horseback and that is a ways off.  Well good luck to all on up coming season.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 02:35:45 AM »
Try to draw a moose permit in Maine in an area with extensive logging roads.  If you have an ATV there are other possabilities.  Just be sure you drop the beast within a ropes distance of your tilt bed trailer.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Best hunts for the older hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 11:50:41 AM »
I've had one heart bypass, and two stints.  Heel spurs that only let me stand for ten to fifteen minutes.  Four herniated disk, and arthritis in my spine, that limit me to picking up 15 to 20 lbs.  Arthritis in my knees, hips, shoulders, and hands.  Also lost a third of one lung to shrapnel with asbestos in the rest of both lungs.  I just finished a three day Caribou hunt, where we set up camp in the middle of a migration route.  That way they come to us.  A young GI we took with us got a real nice Caribou the first day of the season.  I hunt Moose every year, I either hunt from a 4-wheeler, track rig, or a raft.  This year we are going to do the raft thing.  We will put in at a creek and drift through the mountains.  That's the easiest hunting I've ever done, like sitting in a recliner and just floating down a slow river.  The problem comes when someone shoots a Moose, Caribou, Sheep, or Bear from the raft.  We then have to stop and clean it, cut it up, and pack it on the rafts.  After our September hunt I will try and post some pictures of the rafts so you will understand what I am talking about. People say that rafts are too expensive, I've got less than $300.00 invested in my raft, and have been using it for eight years.  I also use it during the summer to take the wife fishing in secluded lakes, reachiable only with a 4-wheeler.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
Re: Best hunts for the older hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
well I have decided that I would just order steaks from Omaha steaks and then shoot at the mail man from my front porch when he deliverd it.he he he.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.