Author Topic: Is It Appropriate To Take Away Their Guns?  (Read 572 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Is It Appropriate To Take Away Their Guns?
« on: October 16, 2005, 06:54:33 AM »
FEMA Gun Ban Yet Another Slap For Louisiana Gun Owners

Friday, October 14, 2005

Under pressure from NRA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is "reconsidering" a ban on the possession of firearms in the trailer parks providing homes for hundreds of families left homeless by hurricane Katrina.

As the experience on the streets of New Orleans showed us, there is a demonstrable need to protect life and family after a disaster.  Yet, according to an October 12, Associated Press article, FEMA has had a general policy for several years to prohibit guns at such parks anywhere in the country.

The AP also reported that FEMA spokesman Butch Kinerney said that they were "trying to figure out who wrote the rules and what the intent was."  The result, however, is clear--600 families were deprived of the option of keeping a firearm for self-defense.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre threatened legal and legislative action against FEMA, which is already facing Congressional scrutiny for its mismanagement of the government response to hurricane Katrina.

"Whether it's a national disaster, a flu pandemic, or an earthquake, the Constitution can't be thrown out the window," said LaPierre.

We still need to hear from members who have been a victim of gun confiscation in Louisiana.  If you have personally had a gun confiscated in Louisiana since Hurricane Katrina hit, please call (888) 414-6333.  Be prepared to leave only your name and immediate contact information so we can get back to you.  Once again, we are seeking contact information from actual victims of gun confiscation in Louisiana only."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I think the above just serves to show us what will happen to us should we ever fall under the "protection" of FEMA.  Get a few derringers for you're next stay with FEMA.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 12:01:34 PM »
:roll: You have a mixed bag here.  I don't think anyone has the right to disarm a law abiding citizen, however, these trailer parks are made up of people from all walks of life.  I am confident that a lot of the firearms there are stolen, or in the hands of criminals.  

As a law abiding citizen, one side of me says yes, but I be darned if I would give mine up if I knew there were criminal elements there who still had theirs.  

This is one of those situations where "You are damned if you do, and damned if you don't." :wink:

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 01:55:54 PM »
Would you support the banning of books or newspapers in these trailer parks? What about the banning of computers with access to the Internet?

Are these people citizens or subjects?

The laws against improper use of firearms are enough. Just because the government is providing the housing doesn't mean these people should be denied constitutionally recognized rights.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 03:06:29 PM »
At no time should the Federal Government, State Government, or Local Government confiscate, suppress, or restrict the LAWFUL possession of rifles, handguns, shotguns, or other projectile weapons (bows and crossbows) until the recension of the 2nd Amendment of the Cosntitution of the United States of America.  PERIOD.

Imposing sanctions on homeowners, whether in trailers or not, for the restriction of firearm possession is tantamount on the TAKING of their property, trailer and all.  It is hoped that pre-hurricane residents are not the unwilling targets of these unlawful restrictions.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 09:33:15 PM »
I guess I would not be living in their parks as I would not give up mine.  and I would fight if they tried.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Heavy Chevy

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 12:54:55 PM »
WHAT THEM OTHER GUYS SAID!!   :x  :(
Butch  HC

Why me Lord,
 What did I ever do?
 To deserve even one,
 Of the heartaches I''ve known.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 02:01:22 PM »
Quote from: Land_Owner
At no time should the Federal Government, State Government, or Local Government confiscate, suppress, or restrict the LAWFUL possession of rifles, handguns, shotguns, or other projectile weapons (bows and crossbows) until the recension of the 2nd Amendment of the Cosntitution of the United States of America.  PERIOD.

You may not know this, but almost every state governer has reserved the right to disarm every single citizen when martial law is declared.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 03:23:53 PM »
:shock: Within the limits of the law the FEMA trailer parks are considered government property (owned, leased or contracted).  privately owned firearms are banned on most federal property.  All military bases for example ban or require firearms to be registered on base.  Personnel who live in the barracks are not allowed to have firearms unless they are stored by the base LEO.  Those that live in family housing either can not possess, or must register.

And these are, for the most part, are law abiding citizens that are protecting the freedom and rights of all Americans