Author Topic: 2003 Summit Viper vs. newer X5 model  (Read 506 times)

Offline riddleofsteel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
2003 Summit Viper vs. newer X5 model
« on: October 16, 2005, 07:51:04 AM »
I have a chance to pick up a lightly used 2003 Sumit Viper climbing stand. I know Summit upgraded the cable retention system on thier climbers in 2004 to using the quickdraw system with the trigger release.
My question;

Do any of you guys havean older model Summit?

If so is the older cable system a problem?

I can pick up the 2003 model lightly used for less than $150.00. Would it be worth the extra money to wait and get a improved version or snap up a deal on the used model?

Thanks
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 10:58:52 AM »
I have a 2001  viper xtream. This is my main stand. I have had no troubles with the cable.
I would try and talk him down on the price a bit  even though it is a good price.
I would get the new stirrups and put them on they are well worth the money.

The one I have came with the  air seat and i like it over the cushion style. I can adjust it to fit my needs for the day. I am not an overly big guy at 225 lbs.  I find the top par of the stand to be a little narrow as does my 150 lb friend. when I stand up I have to turn a little to the side if i dont the buckles on the my safety harness hits the rails. when I have on my heavy winter coveralls on it is a bit hard to move.

I am looking at the golith as they say it is a bit wider

Offline riddleofsteel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 01:40:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

In looking at the deal your comments mean a lot. I am close to 280 lbs and a little wide to boot. Add to that this older Viper does not have the quick climb foot brackets, or safety harness. By the time I bought both of those and had to squeeze my big butt into a regular Viper I might as well have gotten a Goliath with the new cable system, harness, foot brackets and a seat big enough to be comfortable.

Thanks again
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8