Author Topic: serial numbers  (Read 431 times)

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
serial numbers
« on: October 17, 2005, 03:08:08 AM »
This has no doubt been asked at some point in the past but I can't find it so: Why is it that listing the complete serial no. of a gun is just not done?
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline bullet maker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 03:21:23 AM »
I`m only guessing, but I`d say, the reason is, that there are alot of dishonest people out their, like the anti-gunners, that would claim that was their gun, and cost you alot of money in court, to prove that it was your`s, and not theirs.

Same as going to a gun show. I wanted to take my camera, to one to record our rights as a free nation to have such a privilege to have a gun show in our country. Was told the resone I couldn`t bring a camera into a gun show was what I explained to you.

bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
serial numbers
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:54:21 AM »
The odds are that it would not create a problem but I'd rather play it safe. With identity theft on the rise, anything that is personal should be gaurded.

I think used guns with an unknown history are a bigger problem than new guns. In my view, a serial number is just as private as all my other personal data.